English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 May 2015, 20:18   #1
vertigo

MUI xen to workbench

Hi, I downloaded MUI with a key from mikes lab, seems to be installed and I can change the looks to xen within the program and looks as expected when in the MUI program. I'm running with magic workbench installed as well. I expected the looks to be carried over to workbench, with the updated windows, requesters sliders and buttons etc. But nothing, just standard buttons etc.. I press save within MUI and reset but this does nothing. Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that a mui compatible program AHI has got xen looks.

My memory may be fading but I swear I had a a full mui workbench look back in the 90s.

Last edited by vertigo; 24 May 2015 at 20:25. Reason: info
Old 24 May 2015, 21:42   #2
thomas

MUI prefs only apply to MUI programs. And using a stolen key file is insulting the author.

Perhaps you might want to try VisualPrefs. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VisualPrefs
Old 24 May 2015, 21:56   #3
vertigo

Thanks Thomas, I will look into visual prefs.

Also I used this key to evaluate if its potential as the demo didn't seem to work the way I expected either. You may not believe me but I would have bought a key, if it had worked as i wanted, even if he doesn't send out personalized keys anyway as posts suggest. I have no problem with that but its got to work the way I want else its no good. I had my finger on the pay button many times but until I got it working I was not 100% happy.
Old 24 May 2015, 22:15   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Buy it anyway, there are very few programs you can still buy and MUI is nice, just my opinion. IBrowse for example looks much better with it -with the key-
Old 25 May 2015, 03:42   #5
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Perhaps you might want to try VisualPrefs. http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VisualPrefs
So that's where that //awful// window style that the modern amigaos uses came from >.>

But holy fuck, I wish I had an application that was that easy to use in Windows..

And yes, you should buy MUI instead of using a stolen key.
We need more amiga devs to not hang up their keyboards because everyone pirates their software.
Old 25 May 2015, 05:05   #6
vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post

And yes, you should buy MUI instead of using a stolen key.
We need more amiga devs to not hang up their keyboards because everyone pirates their software.
Jeez I wish I had never mentioned it.

Think about it, have you bought everything on your Amiga, this holier than thou attitude really pees me off. I did say if it was of any use I would buy it as I like the look of mui and remember using it back in the day but if I can't change workbench windows/ buttons its no use. Believe me I pay for something I would use. Although back in the 90s like most I pirated virtually everything.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Last edited by vertigo; 25 May 2015 at 05:43.
Old 25 May 2015, 07:59   #7
Locutus

Dont get me wrong, but didnt Stefan Stuntz 'hang up the keyboard' anyway? :-P
Old 25 May 2015, 13:00   #8
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Jeez I wish I had never mentioned it.

Think about it, have you bought everything on your Amiga, this holier than thou attitude really pees me off. I did say if it was of any use I would buy it as I like the look of mui and remember using it back in the day but if I can't change workbench windows/ buttons its no use. Believe me I pay for something I would use. Although back in the 90s like most I pirated virtually everything.

Thanks for the info anyway.
I'm a game developer - That's where my "don't pirate shit" attitude comes from

If you're that bothered about the "holier than thou" attitude better /not/ to mention that you're using a pirated key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Dont get me wrong, but didnt Stefan Stuntz 'hang up the keyboard' anyway? :-P
I believe he did, yes. But at least keys for MUI are still available to buy, so it's not hung up all the way. The least we can do is buy the software when it's there.

But enough of this; VisualPrefs is the tool you want for transferring the "XEN" look across to normal Workbench.
Old 25 May 2015, 13:56   #9
thomas

MUI is still actively developed: https://muidev.de/
Old 25 May 2015, 14:06   #10
vertigo

OK, to keep everyone happy I have deleted the damn key, it made not one bit of difference to how I wanted the program too work to be honest and I will say again all I wanted was the workbench to look like the photo on the mui site and when I could not get to look like that in test mode that's when I eased off the buy it now button and pursued the key, let's be honest most people go that way anyway on things digital. But I say again if it had worked, the way I expected I would have paid for it. As I have done with most of the software I have used on the PC and Android, including Amiga forever on both formats. I even went to pay for magic workbench to find the order form not there, so there was nothing else to do than to fiind a full version on the net. That's what age does, makes you want to do the right thing if you can. Anyhow we have both made our points and I'm not out to make enemies.

Thanks again for all posters for the info and putting me on to visual prefs, if it works and I need mui full to use it I will buy it.

Dave
Old 14 June 2015, 16:23   #11
eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
OK, to keep everyone happy I have deleted the damn key [...]
You know, you can always use the key and barricade your mind to hopefully prevent being bullied on an Internet forum into embracing some notion of shallow morale that either the creators of the software in question (there are none in the antecedent posts) or yourself may or may not subscribe to.
Old 14 June 2015, 18:38   #12
TheBilgeRat

This is one of the more annoying things about Amiga.

From muidev.de release notes for the latest (4.0-2015r1):

"Please note that MUI4 for AmigaOS3/m68k is definitely targeted at powerful systems with a fast CPU and a fast graphic board. Although it is still possible to run this release on a real 68k machine an emulation like WinUAE is very highly recommended. Also colormapped screens with 256 colors at most are still supported, but MUI4 makes heavy use of fancy truecolor images and effects which cannot be provided on colormapped screens with the full range of possibilities."

So, the modern MUI isn't even an option for a normal Amiga. But hey! Don't you need it if you want to run any of these programs that depend on buying MUI?
http://www.sasg.com/mui/applist.html

I guess there are always alternatives, but still. Kinda lame that we are still worrying about purchasing keys for something that should be built into the system at this point (and is, if you're running morphos), or at least a nod given to old crusty classic users. Plus, you get a lot of this too:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...37&postcount=8

"YOU MUST BUY TEH SERIALS!" even if the original author doesn't respond.
Old 14 June 2015, 18:59   #13
BigFan

The point is:

You don't have to buy MUI to run these programs. License key is for preferences only.
I would be happy if the current dev team could takeover the keyfile generation and get some money for their work.