English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 13 April 2016, 22:40   #1
wk_end

Source Debugging + Linker?

Lately I've been working on an intuition-based program in asm (please don't try to talk me out of this ) and it's starting to get too big for one module, so I'd like to start splitting it out into multiple files.

Right now my assembler of choice is ASM-One 1.02+ - it's simple and just works, and I love the source level debugging. I know that I'll need some kind of linker (vlink? blink?) to link my modules together...if I do this, is there any way to load the final executable into ASM-One's debugger? If not, is there another debugger I could load my labels into and use?

Old 14 April 2016, 13:36   #2
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk_end View Post
Right now my assembler of choice is ASM-One 1.02+ - it's simple and just works, and I love the source level debugging. I know that I'll need some kind of linker (vlink? blink?) to link my modules together...
Any AmigaDOS linker will do, as long as your Asm-One version generates legal hunk-format object files.
I remember I had a look at Asm-Pro some time ago, which neither included exported symbols nor any debugging symbols in the output generated by "WL".

Quote:
if I do this, is there any way to load the final executable into ASM-One's debugger?
Not sure. Anybody more familiar with Asm-One may correct me.
I would guess it only works to load a binary into memory and debug it there without any symbol information...?

Quote:
If not, is there another debugger I could load my labels into and use?
There are plenty of debuggers for the Amiga. I would suggest BDebug from the Barfly assembler package, which is programmed OS-friendly and supports all CPUs up to 68060.

All debuggers can read symbol hunks. And many of them also understand the source line debugging format (LINE Debug hunks) introduced by SAS/C, which allows you to show lines of your original source text.
Old 20 April 2016, 23:33   #3
wk_end

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Any AmigaDOS linker will do, as long as your Asm-One version generates legal hunk-format object files.
I remember I had a look at Asm-Pro some time ago, which neither included exported symbols nor any debugging symbols in the output generated by "WL".
If Asm-Pro can't do it, I suspect Asm-One 1.02+ can't do either...

Quote:
Not sure. Anybody more familiar with Asm-One may correct me.
I would guess it only works to load a binary into memory and debug it there without any symbol information...?
You can debug the source (with symbols) of the currently assembled program, but it seems really dumb. It's not even capable of jumping across INCSRCs (and seems to crash the program when it tries).

Quote:
There are plenty of debuggers for the Amiga. I would suggest BDebug from the Barfly assembler package, which is programmed OS-friendly and supports all CPUs up to 68060.

All debuggers can read symbol hunks. And many of them also understand the source line debugging format (LINE Debug hunks) introduced by SAS/C, which allows you to show lines of your original source text.
Good to know that I have some options

Any thoughts on devpac vs barfly? I prefer the integrated environment, and I'm loosely trying to stick with tools pros would've been using early 90s; it looks like devpac was just about the de facto standard then.

Old 21 April 2016, 13:40   #4
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk_end View Post
You can debug the source (with symbols) of the currently assembled program, but it seems really dumb. It's not even capable of jumping across INCSRCs (and seems to crash the program when it tries).
Then the answer is certainly no. AsmOne cannot debug executables with debug information in it. Which seems logical, as it cannot even write such files...

Quote:
Any thoughts on devpac vs barfly? I prefer the integrated environment
Devpac has a nice integrated environment, but it is very slow. Barfly is a fast assembler, but has some non-standard directives.

Quote:
it looks like devpac was just about the de facto standard then.
Absolutely, it is. When trying to write the most portable assembler source, then you should look up the directives from the Devpac manual.