English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 01 December 2017, 18:06   #121
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-209 View Post
Since there are 2 variations of the proportional system, any chance of adding an extra variant for fixed and super systems as well?
I was going to vote for fixed 21 / super 11, but neither seem to have "made the cut"
Just vote for Fixed-26 and Super 7. Too many options would've been too unfocussed.

Should Fixed-26 get voted we can have another poll to decide if we want Fixed-26 or Fixed-21.

Should Super 7 get the majority of votes we'll have another thread to decide if we should change the 7 to an 8, 9, 10 or 11.

Last edited by john4p; 01 December 2017 at 18:15.
Old 01 December 2017, 18:42   #122
vagrant

Great, sounds good. It looked like a "final four" had been chosen already
Old 01 December 2017, 21:12   #123
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Just want to add 2 cents on the discussion. Read the whole thread, saw many comments about trying to understand why people don't join all rounds and how to make people play all rounds.

I think I started playing the league twice and twice I dropped at the middle of it. And it had nothing to do with unfair score systems or not being able to compete.

It's just that the games selection went really bad...

This year I remember having to play Final Fight and I was just "urgh, this game is awful", and then just a little after we had to play zeewolf 2, which while is a good game, it really is not suited for this kind of thing IMO. And then I ended up dropping the whole thing... which now I kinda regret, because there were some good games this year (Sensible Soccer, Apidya, Goal)

So I end up taking part on the Knockout Rounds, where the "Best of the best" games of the year end up being played and the time I need to dedicate it's smaller.

I know this doesn't help the discussion at all... so just to say that I really liked the Super 7 system, but I don't know if I should vote at all since I am not very active on the league
Old 02 December 2017, 01:35   #124
Biscuit
Baked Produce

@Shatterhand
I know what you mean. I was looking to rejoin the league earlier this year and posted a score for Mega Typhoon. But I didn't like it, stopped playing and kind of dithered back to other gaming again. Looking at the games this year I should have stuck around, but hey.

It's part of the reason why I suggested the two games a month idea. Still not foolproof but maybe it could work?

Or to cut down the time required we could always split the league into two championships per year running for about 5 months each. Or five 2 month long tournaments where we play all the games at the same time. No, no, no, don't listen to me. The thread could go into overdrive.
Old 02 December 2017, 09:41   #125
john4p
Competition Moderator

It should stay 1 season per year, that's just so epic. But we can discuss to offer more games to play at the same time.
Old 02 December 2017, 11:13   #126
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
@Shatterhand
I know what you mean. I was looking to rejoin the league earlier this year and posted a score for Mega Typhoon. But I didn't like it, stopped playing and kind of dithered back to other gaming again. Looking at the games this year I should have stuck around, but hey.
You see, in the other hand I am kinda pissed I missed Mega Typhoon because I believe it's a freaking awesome game (and now I'll have to wait many years to be able to play it in a competition again), while some people was actually enjoying Final Fight (Oh my god, HOW? ).

But honestly, a more balanced ranking system may even help with this. If you hate the game you may send a half-arsed score and still be on the competition. Having 2 games to play may also help... unless both games are crap
Old 02 December 2017, 12:58   #127
Biscuit
Baked Produce

I like Final Fight. Bought it, completed it.
Old 02 December 2017, 16:19   #128
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I like Final Fight. Bought it, completed it.
I love Final Fight on any system that wasn't horribly botched
Old 03 December 2017, 11:27   #129
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Just spotted a drawback to Fixed-26.

When you have more than 16 players, anyone in 17th and lower gets the worst points out of all four systems. They are at least 20 points behind 1st place. Whereas currently you are only ever 19 points behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post

Old 13 December 2017, 12:36   #130
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Wow! I really wasn't expecting a reply, but thanks for considering

I wish you guys luck in sorting this out, it's got my head
We've been discussing possible bonus points incl. your suggestion in the meantime and came to the decision that we'll just keep it simple and add no bonus points whatsoever.

Thanks again for your input though, it was a good idea.