English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 29 May 2003, 23:01   #1
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Skick Issues

Hi all,

I have a complicated OS2.0 A500 which doesnt like SKick whenever i try to boot with another Kickstart OS. I say complicated as its a fairly modded A500 plus. It has a 1MB Chip RAM expansion ram in the slot (totalling 2MB Chip in all), 4MB Fast abourd the GVP A500+ HD and 4MB Ext Ram on a 68020 accelerator.

What happens is that the screen goes Yellow, the power flickers several times and it then returns to the ROM os. The only thing else i have to mention is that i have to tell the Accelerator to load the Ext Ram in the Startup-Sequence before SetPatch.

Ive tried FORCE, switching off Patching and running Allockick but its made no difference - neither did altering the location where the ROM should go. When i boot normally i get full ram, so theres no shadowing of my rom it would seem. As an aside i remember trying Relockick1.4 and finding the same problem.

Ill admit im happy enough running OS2.0 but some good apps are 3.0+ only, so is there anyone here who knows how to command this beast?
Old 01 June 2003, 18:29   #2
Amiga1992

Looks like Skick is not correctly relocating the ROM in the memory. Have you got the right relocation tables? (those RTB files).

Also, since your RAM is not autoconfig, this might be the problem. SKick might be loading the ROM in some ram that it's just not available at startup. If this is the problem, then I'm afraid you won't be able to use SKick on your machine.

If it's something else, well, dunno.

Just remembered something els. If you have 2MB Chip and this is always available, skick should work. I ran Skick to softkick my A600 into 3.0 and it worked a treat. The problem here might be that, since you have extra, Fast RAm, skick will load the ROM here. Now you reboot, and the RAM is not there at bootup, so everything goes to hell.

Try booting without the Fast RAM loaded, run skick, and reboot, then activate your extra RAM. Skick will load the rom into Chip RAM (not recommended, but probably your only choice), and work just fine. I suppose