English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2002, 00:10   #1
backtoskooldaze

Happy Hi

Hi Could someone please help me on this one????
I have installed os3.9 on my A1200 and i have downloaded the idefix'97 which i am using for now.I would like to know how to be able to boot str8 from a cd i have downloaded mountcd.lha but i am not sure how to config the A1200 to get it to boot from cd.

Cheers!
Old 10 June 2002, 04:51   #2
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

To get your system to boot from the CD and not your Hard Drive can be a bit tricky.

If you go into the early startup menu at boot time and go into boot options it will show a list of drives attached to the system.

The priority for the cd drive HAS to be higher than that of the hardrive, you can change your HDD priority in HDToolbox, CD priority im unsure how you change.

The other easier option is if you just want to boot from cd occassioanlly and dont mind going into early startup everytime then simply select cd0: as your boot device in the boot options menu (as long as CD0: is recognised at startup) and you are set.
Old 10 June 2002, 05:23   #3
Amiga1992

Are you sure CD0: appears at the early startup bootup menu? I dont have a CD drive to confirm this, but methinks ATAPI CD drives only show up after you load the drivers through workbench... I have installed an ATAPI ZIP diskdrive and it doesnt show up at the menu.
Old 10 June 2002, 05:31   #4
brknck
Amiga Tinkerer

Umm yeah forgot about the ATAPI thing. (I use a CD32 for CD access)

If the drive doesnt turn up in early startup then there is no way to get your system to boot from it as far as I know, unless you can find some drivers that will stay resident in the system when you do a reset.

Sorry cant be of more help
Old 10 June 2002, 08:56   #5
Tonycrew

Send a message via ICQ to Tonycrew
Wouldn't it be best to make a BOOT Floppy disk to boot from CDrom..?

With a startup that accesses the CD0 from the HD and mounts it then boots the CDRom..?

I my self dunno much about this but i'm sure a few years ago when at a computer club there was a floppy that did that.. i think i had it..
Old 10 June 2002, 19:37   #6
Amiga1992

Yes, taht would be a good bet. Or make the HD boot the CD.

I think it would work with a CD connected through a SCSI interface but, again, I cant confirm this. Anybody out there with a SCSI CD drive bolted on?
Old 11 June 2002, 04:40   #7
backtoskooldaze

Happy HI CHEERS EVERYONE!!!!!!

Hi thanx for your replies you are right about the atapi thing the cd is not recognised until the amiga has fully booted and if a disk is in the drive at the time it will show up on the os3.9 screen but i have some cd's that need to be booted first in order to use them.I can however boot a cd32 cd as their is the software included in idefix97 t be able to do this.I have downloaded mountcd.lha which is additional to idefix97 to be able to boot from cd but don't know how to config i have tried and tried but no luck.I have idefix99 which came with my ide interface but when i install that instead of the idefix97 my system won't boot at all so i have to go back to idefix97 and i also think idefix97 is better than idefix99.Can anyone tell me whether you can install os 3.9 over workbench 3.0 without booting first from an emergency disk??
Also how do you make a cd boot disk from idefix97??.I have a squirrel interface with an external scsi cd rom and before i got the a1200 in a tower and chose to go ide i was able to boot from cd's no problem probably due to the drivers so i wonder if there is any drivers out there for ide devices that will be more better than idefix97??????

help much appreciated!!!!!!!
Old 11 June 2002, 08:39   #8
Tonycrew

Send a message via ICQ to Tonycrew
I have installed OS3.9 over WB 3.1 without problem and without an Emergency bootdisk.

When it said if you are installing blah blah you should use an Emergency Bootdisk i just carried on..

As far as ide drivers there are a few about.

AsimCDFS
Atapi PnP
AminCDFS2

Some are on Aminet but if you have probs they are also on my FTP site.

I use IdeFix but it is very tempremental and doesn't always work..
Old 11 June 2002, 10:14   #9
backtoskooldaze

Wink Cheers Tonycrew

Hi Tonycrew cheers m8 i will reinstall wb3.0 and install os 3.9 without the emergency disk.I had a problem, after installing wb 3.0 i then installed idefix99 but before it would install i had to copy the install file from wb3.0 i got some instructions with my ide interface explaining this.After getting wb3.0 and the idefix99 working i then made an emergency disk to install os3.9 but when i come to installing os3.9 it asked me the destination and of course your supposed to click on workbench but my workbench drawer had changed to emergency boot and would not accept the os3.9 installation so i will have another go tonight but without the emergency disk.I will then start on the booting from cd next.

Cheers!!!!!!
Old 11 June 2002, 12:31   #10
TikTok

Quote:
I think it would work with a CD connected through a SCSI interface but, again, I cant confirm this. Anybody out there with a SCSI CD drive bolted on?
I have a Squirrel SCSI attached to my A600, and you can't boot from a CD drive attached to that; you have to use a boot floppy. But I believe some (all?) SCSI interfaces that come with A1200 accelerators allow booting.
Old 11 June 2002, 18:29   #11
backtoskooldaze

Smile Hi TikTok

Hi TikTok i have a squirrell interface with an external cd rom that you can use as a personal walkman too (do you remember them back in the days? lol
Its called a media vision double speed scsi 2 RENO.
I have the drivers and software if you want them and it has cd32 emulation and you can create a cd boot disk if you want and a cd32 boot disk also but you can install the drivers/software so it will boot str8 from cd.
I would use this on my A1200 but the thing is i can't fit the scsi interface into the pcmcia slot cos the tower needs a pcmcia adpator so turn it 90 degrees angle but i am reserving the pcmcia slot for my ethernet card.
Old 11 June 2002, 19:24   #12
Amiga1992

Yep, that was what I was thinking about, accelerator SCSI interfaces. A friend of mine has a GVP accelerator with a SCSI interface... he can boot from WHATEVER man. Nice accelerator, shame about the mega expensive RAM modules!