English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 October 2017, 15:48   #21
DamienD
Banned

Yeah my fault; apologies

...promise I won't derail your thread further.
Old 12 October 2017, 17:56   #22
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...and I did say:
Quote:
...I may have missed some but hey, that will keep you busy for a while
What I listed is the majority of "CD32" games available there
Sorry mate, I mean to correct you in your assertion that a CD32 would only run those. That's how your message read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
No, really only anything under the subdirectory "CD32" from what you've specified above
I just said it wouldn't. I didn't mean you should link him to everything that he should download (do some work SimonCD32! ), I just said that the CD32 can run more than just CD32 titles. He asked if he could run stuff from other folders on that link, short answer I gave him was YES, not everything, but a bunch, starting with CDTV titles.

Anyway derailing some more
The CD32 is severely underappreciated.
Most criticism comes from people who never owned one, which is an unfair start for any system. Also compared to other consoles, yes, sure, maybe not in capabilities, and the games library was a bit of an AGA shovelware, but if you are an Amiga fan, you like games consoles, playing in your living room, on your big TV, sitting on a couch, not bending over a desk in an office-like space, with an office-like keyboard, mouse and monitor, the CD32 is a godsend. I only play Amiga games on my CD32. I use my other Amigas for whatever else (and the odd game or two, but rarely).

The CD32 is not about ground-breaking games console-ery, it's about a solid Amiga platform that can do one thing only and really well: play Amiga games. And isn't that something to be celebrated? Personally I am very glad Commodore lived enough to make this shitty looking gray box
Did they try to market it as a ground-breaking console? Maybe, but who gives a shit what that failed company did? The only ones benefiting from the CD32 are, IMO, the Amiga gamers of its future, ie US.

I always feel the CD32 gets as bad or worse rep as the Amiga 600. And look at the A600 now, everyone likes it again, especially after certain expansions and software appeared for it. The CD32 even has TF328 now and you can easily and cheaply make a massive Amiga gaming rig, controlled by only a games controller, to be enjoyed in your games room or living room. A clunky A500 would not be the same thing and would be impractical in such setting. I see more people looking for CD32s after TF328s become more popular and software like XBench gets optimized for CD32 (or new similar software comes up).

END OF RANT sorry guys
Old 12 October 2017, 22:54   #23
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

Quick update for you all... I've been having a GREAT time downloading software and burning onto disk. I have ordered a CD wallet and some Amiga stickers off of ebay to do the necessary and create a physical library of software.

I do have some legit disks as well, about 15 games purchased from ebay and a seller on a FB Group.

All in all I am a very happy chappy and am extremely grateful for everyones assistance and also very interested to read peoples opinions and debates.

Glad to be part of the movement again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 July 2018, 16:05   #24
gjb1985

just thought I try in this topic. I can't seem to find any step by step documentation about how to use whdload on my cd32. I bought a tf328 with the games already installed on a 8gb stick. but I want to add many games that are missing, or don't work or seem wrongly installed.
Old 26 July 2018, 16:21   #25
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb1985 View Post
just thought I try in this topic. I can't seem to find any step by step documentation about how to use whdload on my cd32. I bought a tf328 with the games already installed on a 8gb stick. but I want to add many games that are missing, or don't work or seem wrongly installed.
Use WIN-UAE, plug the stick into a USB slot and try running it that way. Then add some shortcuts to folders on the PC and copy stuff across.
Old 26 July 2018, 16:30   #26
gjb1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorfarius View Post
Use WIN-UAE, plug the stick into a USB slot and try running it that way. Then add some shortcuts to folders on the PC and copy stuff across.
yes but I'm a complete noob in this. I wish I could find a faq on what I needed exactly to make everything work. is all I need to do download whdload game files and insert them in a map using winuae?

is there a special whdload option in winuae? I haven't used that program in several years back when I made compilations for my cd32.
Old 27 July 2018, 14:44   #27
Glen M

When you say you bought a TF328 with an 8gb stick I assume this stick is actually a CF card and is preinstalled with workbench, WHDLoad and some games.

If you want to add more files to the card you have 2 options.

1. Create a virtual amiga using winuae and use that to transfer data to the CF card. To do this you will need to a CF to USB adpater, winuae and kickstart roms.

2. Burn a CD-R with the whdload LHA files you want to add to the library. Boot the CD32 to workbench, insert the CD-R, copy the files to the CF card, extract them to the appropriate folder then scan for new games. Just note if you do it this way and if you are intending to move large quantites of files or even just 1 large file it will take forever to copy off the disc and likewise a long time to extract. Option 1 is the better method for copying a large volume of data.
Old 30 October 2018, 22:25   #28
SadGamerDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
When you say you bought a TF328 with an 8gb stick I assume this stick is actually a CF card and is preinstalled with workbench, WHDLoad and some games.

If you want to add more files to the card you have 2 options.

1. Create a virtual amiga using winuae and use that to transfer data to the CF card. To do this you will need to a CF to USB adpater, winuae and kickstart roms.

2. Burn a CD-R with the whdload LHA files you want to add to the library. Boot the CD32 to workbench, insert the CD-R, copy the files to the CF card, extract them to the appropriate folder then scan for new games. Just note if you do it this way and if you are intending to move large quantites of files or even just 1 large file it will take forever to copy off the disc and likewise a long time to extract. Option 1 is the better method for copying a large volume of data.
I have a CD32 , a Terrible Fire 328 trying to get a new 32GB CF Card setup to boot to tiny launcher to act as an Amiga games library for streaming to capture card. I tried WinUAE and downloing kickstart 3.0 and 3.1 roms and still get "System path" errors on start. Is there any guide or video guide on making the TF 328 / CD32 / Tiny Launcher combo work? Seems like more people would want to create this "ultimate amiga games library" as Dan Wood coined it on his YT video last year.

Regards,
Shawn / SadGamerDad