English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 October 2007, 17:13   #1
hurtz

Amiga 2000 Troubleshooting

Hi all -

Been using Amiga's for a very long time. Mostly 500's and 1000's. Just recently I inherited a 2000 w/a ton of 'extras'. Very excited to have this machine but am having some problems with it.

I'm experiencing lock-ups, application errors, and 'software failures'. To start narrowing down the problem, I began by disconnecting the hard disks, then using a couple different floppies - games, demos, etc. Still had problems. Next I removed the add-on video card, then the multi I/O card, then the RAM off of the (SCSI / CPU?) controller board. Basically its a bare-bones system, the only add-on at this point it some Agnus 2MB replacement board - can't remember the name, but it has a connector that links to pin 23 of the 'gary' chip.

I can't seem to locate the original 1MB agnus to remove that mod, and at this point I'm not sure thats my problem. I verified that the chip is installed correctly, and that the connector to pin 23 is not touching any other pins.

I hope you experts can help out!

Thanks...
Old 01 October 2007, 17:19   #2
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
any battery damage ? greenish ooze on the CPU socket ?
Old 01 October 2007, 17:30   #3
hurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
any battery damage ? greenish ooze on the CPU socket ?
I will check that as soon as I get home. If I recall correctly - the CPU is on the 'expansion' board that also has the SCSI controller, correct? I believe the CPU is a 68030, and I remember it looked like it was in great condition. I do not recall seeing the battery tho, will try to look at some other pictures to get an idea of where it might be.
Old 01 October 2007, 17:33   #4
coze

ok, then it was not an ordinary expansion board, but a combo accelerator card which plugs into the CPU fast slot, and has both 68030 cpu, fast ram and SCSI (like GVP G-Forces). If you removed this board, then your system switched to onboard 68000. The battery is very close to the 68000.
Old 01 October 2007, 21:05   #5
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
ok, then it was not an ordinary expansion board, but a combo accelerator card which plugs into the CPU fast slot, and has both 68030 cpu, fast ram and SCSI (like GVP G-Forces). If you removed this board, then your system switched to onboard 68000. The battery is very close to the 68000.
Something like this happened to my A2000 as well.

I bought it with a seemingly moderate battery leak damage, and after replacing the battery and cleaning up the motherboard, it worked well. For a while. Then it started to produce random GURUs and 'Software Failure's - and it always got better when I pushed the 68000 CPU better into the socket.

Later I removed the 68000 completely and found several of the socket's contacts practically eaten away by that greenish goo which battery leak usually produces on copper. I had to replace the 64-pin socket of the 68000 CPU (and clean up the CPU chip itself), and now it works like a charm.
Old 01 October 2007, 21:44   #6
hurtz

What do you guys recommend for cleaning up the battery mess if that turns out to be the problem? Just isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip?

As I recall it refused to boot with the GVP expansion board removed, so I bet it is a battery leakage problem. Can't wait to get home and dig into it some more.
Old 02 October 2007, 02:51   #7
coze

I heard somewhere about a mix with vinegar ? to neutralise the acid, but I don't recall it unfortunately ...
Old 02 October 2007, 16:30   #8
hurtz

Making progress. Luckily the battery had not leaked. I went ahead and desoldered it from the mainboard. Removed each chip, cleaned and reseated. It was consistently booting and working, until I put the GVP board back in.

After I removed the GVP board it didn't start. I pressed on the CPU, and it booted twice after. Decided to give it a rest and start working on it again tomorrow.

Made me think of another question though - this model is a 2000HD. Sticker on the back says it came with a 120MB hard drive. How would that hard drive connected to the mainboard? I don't recall seeing a SCSI connector.
Old 02 October 2007, 18:02   #9
coze

2000HDs usually shipped with a 2091 or 2090 board I think. Probably somebody upgraded it with the GVP and removed the scsi board.
Old 03 October 2007, 09:07   #10
coze

Oops, I just found this, maybe you should check out ...

Quote:
This expansion is designed for the A500, A2000 and CDTV and includes a newer Agnus (as found in the A3000) to allow them to address 2MB of CHIP RAM, although the card is installed with 1MB. The megachip has a wire which needs connecting to either the 68000 CPU socket or pin 36 on the Gary Chip. If you experience spurious lockups when the Megachip is installed, then you may need to attach the wire to the 68000 instead of the Gary chip, although to which pin it should be attached is unknown. Furthermore the Megachip may still function correctly in a damaged Agnus socket, even if the original Agnus doesn't because it has longer legs which make good contact with the socket.
http://amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=992

it's pin 48 on the 68000. check the manual for more detailed instructions, and a few jumper settings on the mobo you might want to check.

http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/MegAChip.pdf
Old 03 October 2007, 16:37   #11
hurtz

@coze - thanks for that! Though I'm pretty sure my problem is the GVP board, because now that I cleaned and reseated all of the chips the Amiga is happy. My megachip is connected to pin 36 of the Gary chip at the moment. It works fine in this configuration.

As soon as the GVP board is installed my troubles begin. I found the manual and have begun disabling each 'feature' one at a time. This unit has 2 hard drives, and one is definetly dead. So far the only feature that makes any difference is 'auto-boot'.

One thing I'd like to know - if you boot from floppy, does it still read some sort of configuration data from the hard drive before booting the floppy? Reason I ask is that if I disable 'auto-boot' on the GVP card, the Amiga is noticeably slower, but seems to work. With auto-boot on, it seems to wait until the hard drive has initialized and then continues booting from the floppy, but has lockups and errors. The manual seems to indicate that there was a disk included that allows you to make config changes to the card, I'll have to dig for that.

Getting there slowly but surely!
Old 04 October 2007, 15:47   #12
hurtz

This GVP card has got me beat. Soon as its plugged in my screen gets all flaky, and I start getting errors. Reset jumpers to their defaults using the manual and http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=177 but no luck. At this point at least I have a working 2000.