English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 July 2018, 14:53   #1
jurassicman

Indivision AGA MK2cr - Out of sync - Please help!

Hello all!

I need help from someone that has the card in the object in order to try to flash the core of my "broken" Indivision AGA MK2cr.

Yesterday the card suddenly stopped working, I tried it with two different monitors and on two different A1200 with the same results:

"Invalid format"
"Input Signal Out Of Range"

I got the flasher tool (IvMK2flash.lha) from the Internet and it says what you can see in the attached picture (FPGA CORE "yyyyyyyyyy") and, above all, it fails when I try to flash the core.

I have been able to backup the current core but the core that I've "backupped" is the only core that I'm able to write to the card. If I try to write any rbf files the tool crashes as soon as it reaches the second or third progress line.

Could someone with a properly working Indivision MK2cr use the attached program (IvMK2flash.lha) to save their core and conf and upload them here?

I would like to try to use them for my card.
Thanks in advance!

PS:
If you have a newer version of the flasher program, please upload it here, maybe with a newer version I could flash my card.

Last edited by jurassicman; 04 August 2019 at 15:36.
Old 02 July 2018, 17:13   #2
Metroplyctinite

Hi Jurassicman,

I'm having the same problem with my relatively new Indi AGA Mk2cr, all was good and fine for a few weeks and then yesterday I started seeing problems.

The output resolutions are all misbehaving. My Dell 2001fp had no problem with it and was working beautifully and now won't even sync over DVI. It syncs over VGA and thinks it's doing 640*480 but it looks squashed. No other output resolutions are working. I tried a "reflash all" and no improvement.

As far as I know, the firmware flashing is all done via the Indivision tool and the latest cores are provided in the v1.1 release. I also have tried reflashing via the 1.5 version.

Unless anyone has better advice I'm going to contact iComp/Jens and see what can be done. As I live in the USA I don't really want to ship the device all the way back to Germany unless it's the only option.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02 July 2018, 17:59   #3
Amiga4000

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. The scan doubler just refused initialize correctly upon startup. I was sure that the Indi was the problem. I reflashed so many times I was at my wits end. However, if I left the machine on for about an hour and soft rebooted it would sometimes work correctly. Due to that reason, I finally sent the motherboard off for a recap. That fixed the problem. I'm not saying this is for sure your cause but it could be a very real possibility. If the Indi can't init correctly, the symptoms you describe are the result. Just a suggestion....
Old 02 July 2018, 18:30   #4
jurassicman

Thanks for your contribute, guys!

I think that my situation is a bit different, I can't see anything from the DVI output of my Indivision AGA MK2cr (the picture that I took was from the standard rgb port through scart cable).

My Indy MK2cr is relative new too, I bought it from amigastore.eu on March 2017 and since then it always worked perfectly until yesterday.

I wasn't changing the Indivision configuration through its tool but I was setting a new OS 3.9 installation up... maybe some screenmode setting "broke" it some way but I used the usual configuration files (Hans640x512 screenmode, for example) that I always used with standard monitors like HighGFX, PAL, etc... nothing weird.

Both the motherboards I use have been recently recapped and the PSU are very good PSUs on 2 different Tower cases (one is a new Elbox Blackbox 1200).

I would prefer not to send the card to Jens and in fact I tried to flash the core using the standard Indivision tool (I successfully did "reflash all cores" many times without any improvements...) and using the "flash tool" that I uploaded in my previous post.

It would be great if someone could send me their core and conf file just to see if I have any chances to fix this issue myself...
Old 02 July 2018, 20:47   #5
Jope
-

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2 please find the tools + cores here.
Old 02 July 2018, 20:54   #6
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK2 please find the tools + cores here.
Hi Jope,

Thanks for the link, I've already used those files but unfortunately after many "reflash all cores" I didn't obtain any improvements...

My card is still out of sync. In one of the monitors I've read for a few seconds: "1272 x 1027 50 Hz" before the usual "no signal / invalid format"...

Last edited by jurassicman; 02 July 2018 at 21:26.
Old 02 July 2018, 21:05   #7
Jope
-

After you reflashed, did you apply any (default) settings to it?
Old 02 July 2018, 21:26   #8
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
After you reflashed, did you apply any (default) settings to it?
Hi, thanks for your time.

I've just tried once again with the Indivision config tool V1.5 (I was using V1.1 and 1.2) but nothing changed.

I did again a "refresh all" and it refreshed core#0, #1 and #7 while with the previous versions, if I'm not wrong, the tool refreshed all the cores.

Once refreshed the core I "tested" PAL 640x480 60Hz (I was able to see the image through rgb) and then applied. I also tried HighGFX 800x600 60 Hz and tested it and I got a black screen with "no signal" through rgb.

After that I saved and closed the tool. Switched off and on the system and looked at the DVI output but I got black screen with a square saying: "1272 x 1027 50 Hz". After a second reboot I got "1272 x 1027 22 Hz".

UPDATE:
I've tried again "reflash all" with the tool v.1.2 and I've noticed that, like version 1.5, it flashes only core #0, #1 and #7

Last edited by jurassicman; 02 July 2018 at 21:41.
Old 03 July 2018, 16:33   #9
Metroplyctinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
UPDATE:
I've tried again "reflash all" with the tool v.1.2 and I've noticed that, like version 1.5, it flashes only core #0, #1 and #7
I believe "reflash all" only flashes the cores that have been written over from the default. I've noticed the same behavior, and after testing and applying several different VGA modes is when I actually see it reflash cores 0-7.

FWIW: my problem turned out to be a faulty DVI cable. I finally found another one to test with and now my Indi situation is all good. The fault was intermittent and seemed to only show when the cable was tweaked at certain angles.

Mark
Old 03 July 2018, 17:08   #10
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplyctinite View Post
I believe "reflash all" only flashes the cores that have been written over from the default. I've noticed the same behavior, and after testing and applying several different VGA modes is when I actually see it reflash cores 0-7.

FWIW: my problem turned out to be a faulty DVI cable. I finally found another one to test with and now my Indi situation is all good. The fault was intermittent and seemed to only show when the cable was tweaked at certain angles.

Mark
Thanks for the explanation about the cores.
I've just bought a new cable and I'll try it later this evening but I already tried two different cables and I don't think that the cable is the cause of my issue.

I suspect that something is wrong with the card because I'm not able to complete the flash using the program that I attached to my original post with the AGA_MK2_78MHz.rbf file included in the lha package...
Old 04 July 2018, 17:20   #11
jurassicman

Hey guys!

Please, could someone with a working Idivision MK2cr grab their "backup core" and "backup conf" using the tool I posted in my first message and upload them here?

I would like to try to flash my Indivision MK2cr with a working core and conf before sending it to icomp.de (I'm actually still waiting for a reply from the reseller I bought the card from...).

Thanks in advance!
Old 04 July 2018, 21:52   #12
Metroplyctinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Hey guys!

Please, could someone with a working Idivision MK2cr grab their "backup core" and "backup conf" using the tool I posted in my first message and upload them here?

I would like to try to flash my Indivision MK2cr with a working core and conf before sending it to icomp.de (I'm actually still waiting for a reply from the reseller I bought the card from...).

Thanks in advance!
See attached zip file containing the backups.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: zip IvMK2flash_backup.zip (337.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 04 July 2018, 22:03   #13
jurassicman

@Metroplyctinite

Thanks so much, mate!!!
I'll try them as soon as possible and I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05 July 2018, 10:13   #14
jurassicman

Yesterday night I couldn't go sleep without trying to flash the core of my Indivision MK2cr.
I used the files kindly provided by Metroplyctinite and with them the progress bar arrived at 100% so I was quite hopeful but after a reboot I did receive the usual "no sync" message...
I think that I have to send the card to icomp hoping that they can fix it... thanks again to those that helped me with this issue.
Old 26 January 2019, 20:10   #15
jurassicman

I forgot to update this thread... the problem was a short circuit on the card caused by me when I was trying to assemble my A1200 Tower with FastATA, Mediator, etc...
I sent the card to amigastore.eu (the shop that I bought the card from) and they were able to fix it for a fair price.
I've been using my Indivision for many months now and it works like a charm!