English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 October 2009, 14:05   #21
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Update - Scavenger 2

Scavenger_2 (Full version) in now safely stored on the EAB Server...(http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in 'Games/PD (full versions)'.

Also in the folder is Scavenger_1 - this is obviously an earlier version of the game and by the authors own admission is a little primitive and difficult to control - it is worth taking a look at though just to see how the game evolved.

You can find both files in the zone as well.

Scavenger 2 is the superior game and is well worth a play...
The author would welcome any feedback about the game so please feel free to post any comments here in this thread.

I would like to thank Ben Wright for the time and effort it has taken him to retrieve the disks and for donating his games back into the Amiga community...

Cheers Ben from EAB
Old 01 October 2009, 14:08   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you very much Ben and Peter
Old 01 October 2009, 15:19   #23
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Scavenger 2 did`t work with basic A500 config but just upped chip & fast to 1meg each an she now boots mean plays, will do some more test see what basic config she works with

ok works in winuae with A500, 1.3 rom, ECS 1MB Chip Ram

edit:

Yep defo needs 1MB chip to work

Not particularly one of my favorite type of games but i can see where some of the fun is to be had, ie different weapons

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 01 October 2009 at 15:29.
Old 03 October 2009, 10:28   #24
Peter
Still an Amiga user

While you have all been playing Scavenger 2 and considering what comments to make about it here... I have been in contact with another author, Ben James - author of Psycheual.

I wrote to Ben and he has emailed me... although, as is often the case he does not have a copy of his game there is still hope of retrieving a full version possibly...

Hi Peter,

Mucho thanks for your letter regarding my old Amiga game, I'm surprised anyone remembers it! Sadly I sold all my Amiga gear years ago and didn't think to keep a copy of my game--rather silly of me, I hadn't anticipated a revival in old Amiga PD. I do, however, still have details of everyone who bought the full game so I'll attempt to contact some of them and see if they still have their copies.. this was nearly 15 years ago though, but we might get lucky!

Will let you know if I hear anything back

Thanks again

-Ben

I will of course update the thread when I hear back from Ben - I have asked Ben (and other authors I have contacted) to come and join the EAB Forum - lets hope that some interest in their games just may tempt them back into the Amiga scene...
Old 03 October 2009, 14:19   #25
Peter
Still an Amiga user

More news from Ben James Re: Psycheual - Ben has joined our forum!
Welcome to EAB Ben - post here and say hello when you get a minute!

Ben is contacting original buyers of his game so with a bit of luck we could get a full 10 level version soon... fingers crossed and thanks Ben for taking the time to do this...

Ben also mentioned to me that he made a Playstation conversion of Psycheual called Psychon - that's something I would really like to see so maybe if Ben created an ISO of the CD somehow we could get that uploaded to our EAB server for people to enjoy also...

See Pic for Amiga Power 52 (Aug 95) PD Review of Psycheual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP52_Aug95_P46.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	22959  

Last edited by Peter; 12 October 2009 at 12:20.
Old 03 October 2009, 14:48   #26
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Ben also mentioned to me that he made a Playstation conversion of Psycheual called Psychon - that's something I would really like to see so maybe if Ben created an ISO of the CD somehow we could get that uploaded to our EAB server for people to enjoy also...

[ Show youtube player ]

i would love to see a PSX->PSP conversion of the disk which this is featured on.
Old 03 October 2009, 16:01   #27
Hungryghost

Quote:
More news from Ben James Re: Psycheual - Ben has joined our forum!
Welcome to EAB Ben - post here and say hello when you get a minute!
Hi everybody, thanks for the nice welcome Peter! Having been routing around for the past hour looking for Psych* related things, I've found the PlayStation version on CD - and the Amiga source code for the original, if anyone's still interested in such things. After all these years, it's all gobbledygook to me!

Here's the source code: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11...44/psycheual.s

CD image to follow if it ever finishes uploading.

Old 03 October 2009, 16:12   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Ben and welcome to EAB
Thanks for searching your old stuff. I hope someone with a registered version will respond. Psycheual looks like a nice Alien Breed er.. inspired game Hope you enjoy your stay here
Old 03 October 2009, 18:11   #29
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Nice one Ben... I mean... Hungryghost - looking forward to the PS1 link...

Hungry Horace - you should meet up with Hungry Ghost... maybe get something to eat...
Old 03 October 2009, 19:39   #30
Hungryghost

Quote:
Nice one Ben... I mean... Hungryghost - looking forward to the PS1 link...
Here's the PS1 CD image.. I've no means of testing it out and it's huuuge because there's a bunch of other demos on there. Anyway, it's there off the Net Yaroze menu item if anyone's patient enough to have a go

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PZTNMPYJ

Old 03 October 2009, 22:16   #31
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I got the download - didn't take too long to download but... I am having a bit of a problem with the image - burns ok to CD although Imageburn does state a few errors but my PSONE doesn't like the burnt CD - is anyone going to download this and give it a go?
Let me know how you get on please...

Cheers for the upload HG
Old 03 October 2009, 22:29   #32
hitm4n

Fantastic thread. Although i don't have anything specific to offer (32 discs are on their way to prowler for dumping, none are PD though), is it ok to make some full version PD game requests ? I'm hoping people either know the authors, were involved in the games creation or maybe even the authors of some of them hang around here. I have a little list in mind already but will await an answer on requests.. Cheers.
Old 03 October 2009, 22:51   #33
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I got the download - didn't take too long to download but... I am having a bit of a problem with the image - burns ok to CD although Imageburn does state a few errors but my PSONE doesn't like the burnt CD
Hi Peter,

It's almost certain that you need a modchipped PSone to play this CD.

DoogUK started this thread about modchipping the PlayStation.
Old 03 October 2009, 23:34   #34
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Cheers Prowler - I did wonder if this might be the case... I will have a read up on Doog's thread...

hitm4n - please feel free to make any enquires about PD or Shareware games you are trying to find right here on this thread - I have no doubt that everyone will be interested in what you are trying to track down and if we cant provide an answer here I will do my best to help in finding the full versions...
Old 04 October 2009, 00:05   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have asked Ben (and other authors I have contacted) to come and join the EAB Forum - lets hope that some interest in their games just may tempt them back into the Amiga scene...
Thanks, Peter. This is a very worthwhile initiative on your part.

I am in the process of proofreading and editing some interviews conducted by Daff and others with Amiga developers on behalf of the Amiga community.

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction.php

Those that have left the scene and didn't already know are always surprised and delighted to discover that a thriving Amiga community still exists after all this time.
Old 04 October 2009, 00:25   #36
hitm4n

Cheers Peter. Well here goes. No nonsense...

Platman. Simple but superb little platformer collectemup, with pacman as the main chappy. Good room design, fast smooth gameplay, but limited to 50 rooms in demo.

R3 - The Art of Rocketry. A fantastic Thrust type game, 2 player support, doors, keys, switches, cargo, fans, magnets, lasers, teleports, shooty thrusty goodness.

Alien Bash II - Chaos Engine on the cheap. But still ace.

Finally, one i forgot the title of. Its definately PD or Shareware, was a Dune II / Mega Lo Mania / Sim City / Millenium 2.2 style game. Building a colony, fighting wars etc. Came late in the amigas life.

Heres hoping
Old 04 October 2009, 01:00   #37
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
Finally, one i forgot the title of. Its definately PD or Shareware, was a Dune II / Mega Lo Mania / Sim City / Millenium 2.2 style game. Building a colony, fighting wars etc. Came late in the amigas life.
Conquest?

http://hol.abime.net/3874
Old 04 October 2009, 01:32   #38
hitm4n

Less Mega Lo Mania and more Sim City... I should have mentioned, it was futuristic, on another planet.
Old 04 October 2009, 03:05   #39
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungryghost View Post
Here's the PS1 CD image.. I've no means of testing it out
Gave it a quick try in the pSX emulator and seemed to work OK.

Thank you for (re-)releasing your work.

And Peter, thanks for your work hunting those full versions of PD/shareware games (and thanks to all those who did the same in the past or will in the future).
Old 04 October 2009, 10:50   #40
Peter
Still an Amiga user

hitm4n - Platman and Alien Bash II are in the zone, I will upload R3 later when I can find it... and I will have a think about what the Sim City type game might be...