English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 June 2012, 21:26   #1
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Alien Breed Total Conversion for BOOM

EDIT: New Link

http://www..com/?kvn4nphu4vmdwfx

This demonstration is only meant as an early proof of concept. There is much work that has to be done so not everything looks, sounds, or behaves 100% as it would in the original Alien Breed 3D.

Also, when designing the maps I use PrBOOM Plus in GL mode, so when you play this in BOOM on a real Amiga you will probably notice that the lighting is horribly low. This will be resolved in the future, so in the mean time it is preferred that you test this with PrBOOM Plus in GL mode or in Hi-Res software mode otherwise you more than likely will not be able to see a thing once you enter the building.

Changed:

ABout 70% of the textures from map01 are present, though I would still like to do a bit of tweaking to the palette. In some cases I could not find the original texture in the AB3DII sources on Aminet, so I created a replacement, or am using temporary textures as a filler.

Some of the audio has been included, though as you will notice, some samples have a "popping" sound when they play. I have no idea why this is as the popping sound is not present in the originals, but hopefully I'll be able to work that out over time.

I have created and added a few new frames to the Red Alien, this way when he attacks his mouth will actually move up and down. Also when he dies there are a few additional death frames, though at the moment the frames change at such a rate that you probably will not notice them right now.

I am not finished with the Barrels, but as you should be able to see, I am trying to mimick the behavior of the barrel explosions from AB3D in that they go through a total of three explosions as opposed to the single explosion in standard DOOM.

As you will notice, BOOM does not support floor transparency, so you are not able to see what is beneath or above water, though when you enter the water you will notice that the physics do change to emulate the feeling of being under water. Later on I will work on the color map so that everything will appear blue when under water as well.

3D platforms have yet to be added, but they should be fully doable.

There is probably more I should note here, but at the moment I am again having a brain fart....

MUST SLEEP!!!!!!

You can find PrBOOM Plus here:

http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/

Though sadly, we do not have it for any of the next gen Amiga OS's yet. Though I do know that BSzili has been working towards getting that and or Odamex working on AROS, so we should be able to enjoy this on there soon enough!!!

Official thread here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61643

Last edited by XDelusion; 12 June 2012 at 15:55.
Old 08 June 2012, 23:38   #2
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I forgot to include the Bex flie for classic users...

Bex file uploaded:

EDIT: Now included in new link above.

Like the three WAD files, you will load this up in BOOM's Icon Info under the BEX section.

Sorry about that.

BTW, you NEED this file in order for the Red Alien to act correctly. Without it he is very very slow! Also the Barrels will now explode correctly too.

Last edited by XDelusion; 11 June 2012 at 20:50.
Old 09 June 2012, 00:17   #3
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

And for comparison's sake, here is the original on Youtube.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 June 2012, 02:56   #4
NovaCoder

Hiya,

I will download the BEX and try in out on my Miggy

What version of DOOM do you need to run it against?
Old 09 June 2012, 04:15   #5
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Doom2 or Freedoom.

Just tested with good results under Odamex on AROS!
Old 09 June 2012, 12:15   #6
nikvest
Vertigo User

How to use this?
Old 09 June 2012, 13:50   #7
CFou!

great idea!

i dream doom conversion of AB3D1 & 2 to doom engine since longtimes

is it woking with Adoom?
Old 09 June 2012, 14:01   #8
roy bates

will you be able to look up and down with this?
Old 09 June 2012, 14:20   #9
NovaCoder

Hiya,

I tried it with BOOM on my 1200 but couldn't get it to run (kept complaining about missing patch in textures).

I tried with the following tooltypes:
deh1=AB3D.BEX
file1=AB3D.wad
file2=ABMap01.wad
file3=ABTEXTRS.wad

I tried with DOOM2 BTW.
Old 09 June 2012, 19:16   #10
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I have been developing and testing this under FreeDOOM, I only assumed that DOOM 2 support would not be broken, so you may want to try that.

Also, last night's upload was a train wreck. I have fixed the lighting issues for classic BOOM users, and have also reduced the file count to 2. 1 WAD 1 BEX.

On top of that I tweaked a few rooms in the map so that they conform more to the look of the original, though of course I am still far from done.

For those looking for FreeLook, Jumping, and all that jazz, I suggest you fire this up under PrBOOM, PrBOOM Plus, or Odamex on AROS, MorphOS, or OS 4. Some of those ports have these features and more such as OpenGL support which really makes this look NICE!

On a side note, if you are not using standard BOOM, then you will not need to load up the BEX file as it is already stored inside the main WAD file.

ALso I have noticed that standard BOOM does not fully support my BEX file, so at the moment (unless support can be added or I can find a work around), the triple exploding barrels will only explode once as in original DOOM.

http://www..com/?7818645rfa...818645rfaacb0m

ADOOM not supported, sorry.
Old 09 June 2012, 19:23   #11
roy bates

i do remember being able to look around in doom on an amiga,probably doomattack.

im not really interested in jumping and such,but.........if you do a conversion of ab3d 2 this will be the thing that kills it or not for me.
Old 09 June 2012, 19:39   #12
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Yep, you are thinking of DOOM Attack, classic DOOM originally did not have free look, though I'd love to see that and a few other enhancements added to BOOM if possible, such as a bit more up to date BEX system as well as the ability to tell monsters not to fight with one another.

As for AB3D II.

I see that as pretty much a KILLER tech demo, with craptastic levels. So no, I won't be remaking it, but I am using it's resources for this project since the Red Alien's looked much better in part 2 than they did in part 1.

Also, my plan is to complete the original 16 levels from AB3D part 1, then to create new and original levels that take place after those. This is where all those unused Textures and enemies from AB3D II will come in.
Old 09 June 2012, 19:56   #13
roy bates

sounds interesting.
Old 10 June 2012, 02:44   #14
NovaCoder

I'm not promising anything due to a serious lack of free time, but I could eventually get around to porting over some of the extra WAD enhancement features from PrBOOM (PC version) to BOOM (68k).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 10 June 2012 at 07:38.
Old 10 June 2012, 03:07   #15
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I would be grateful!
Old 10 June 2012, 07:34   #16
NovaCoder

New version seems to work on in BOOM 68k now, looking good

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 June 2012, 12:08   #17
fishyfish
Banned

Great stuff XDelusion

Sorry Ive not been too involved yet, but Ive been busy with other stuff. Im absolutely still interested in helping with this though. Far be it for me to tell you what to do being that its all your work thus far, but for me this project has a little more appeal when it can be used on a real classic amiga. The idea of a fairly accurate remake, but with 1x1 graphics, and full screen is pretty appealing

Even if it needs a few "custom" source modifications to allow for anything from AB3d that doesnt fit within a Doom engine (the ammo and health in bar to the sides of the windows perhaps? (sidebar, but would be nice to include them, even if they where closer to the far left and right vs. original AB3d)).

Anyway, if you'd like htelp let me know what you need, what I could do and so on to contribute (even graphics ) and so on and we'll work from there
Old 10 June 2012, 23:42   #18
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Thankx Fish! And yes, as soon as you are ready, I got lots of things I could use a little help with! Especially on the mapping side of things as the graphics, palette, audio, and bex work is a load within itself...

...though I must admit my favorite part of the creative process is the mapping itself, so if you are handy with PPaint or Photo Shop or what ever, or even BEX editing, then feel free to jump in on that too!

As for the graphical over lay. If you want it exactly as it is in AB3D, we would need ZDOOM, which would break the current support for the Amiga port of BOOM, so I'd rather not go there.

If you want graphical over lay that is different, but includes much of the same look of the original, but with a new lay out, then I "should" be able to pull that off, though I've never done such a thing before so I'll have to look at the example that comes with PrBOOM to see how to pull it off exactly...

...and then see if BOOM will support it. If you want to draw a mock up of some ideas you got, or maybe try to create one yourself, please send it my way, I'd all up for input! In fact this project was your idea in the first place, so suggest all you want. In fact I'd love suggestions from the community in general as this is a clone of one of their old beloved's after all.
Old 10 June 2012, 23:43   #19
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
New version seems to work on in BOOM 68k now, looking good

[ Show youtube player ]

Hey cool, thankx! I'm flattered! This is the first of two videos I found uploaded today that featured my demo! What a nice feeling...

...and oh God how I judge my own work now that it is exposed to the world. :/
Old 11 June 2012, 08:05   #20
nikvest
Vertigo User

Once again, please tell me how to use published files by XDelusion with Amiga BOOM, or with PrBOOM Plus?