English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 May 2008, 20:23   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I just did a torrent search and it's quite easy to find..

My apologies to all who are involved, but surely you knew this'd happen!
Old 15 May 2008, 20:46   #22
Coder

sehr schade, allerdings werdet Ihr auf anderen Plattformen vor Raubkopien auch nicht verschont bleiben.
Old 15 May 2008, 21:02   #23
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz View Post
Now im forced to get the pirate version [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Well I just did a torrent search and it's quite easy to find..
Posting torrent info in your very own thread, about your own book that you don't want to be pirated: Priceless
Old 15 May 2008, 23:21   #24
Thalion
Amiga Collector

If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was iunterested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyways. Less costs and eclectronc books have a lot more advantages. But as i kniow APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.
Old 15 May 2008, 23:25   #25
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was iunterested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyways. Less costs and eclectronc books have a lot more advantages. But as i kniow APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.
you know that Ralph decide this and not APC&TCP???
Old 15 May 2008, 23:37   #26
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
you know that Ralph decide this and not APC&TCP???
that is the reason you felt to post this news yourself also here?
Old 16 May 2008, 00:57   #27
EmuChicken

@ Andreas, I doubt you'd sell that many even if it wasn't pirated online. . .
Old 16 May 2008, 01:31   #28
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
bah, after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa. There're a lot of distractions, bells and whistles on my (and most) peoples computers, so it's not a very good reading environment. Also puts a strain on the eyes. I'ld rather pay and get a professionally printed version if it was available, and pay mr Babel for the hard work. But since he doesn't want it, we have to pirate it. Well thanks for the hard work anyway, Ralph !
Old 16 May 2008, 09:38   #29
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
that is the reason you felt to post this news yourself also here?
We have start the project and now we must place the reason why the project is discintinued.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:09   #30
Marcuz

Quote:
We have start the project and now we must place the reason why the project is discintinued.
yeah i love overkill
Old 16 May 2008, 10:18   #31
AndreasM

Quote:
yeah i love overkill
when you love it, ok.

i am not. i would like print the book.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:26   #32
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Quote:
If you think you have to stop the book because of a torrent of the older version of the book then do it. I think thats quite stupid. Anybody who was interested in the book would have bought it.
But a PDF version would be better anyway. Less costs and electronic books have a lot more advantages. But as i know APC-TCP for some time know i know you'll never learn it.
Yes, I see it in the same way!
Old 16 May 2008, 10:35   #33
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
[...] after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa.
Finally! Some else who sees the truth!
Old 16 May 2008, 11:10   #34
chiark
Needs a life

First off, I didn't realise we were talking about the *old* version of the book being made available on torrents. I'd assumed it was the updated version...

Question: if someone downloads the old version, might they want to own the new, updated version in physical copy? This could actually be a damn fine sales plan!

I've had a few email exchanges with Ralph and it seems his mind is made up. He's not in it for the money at all, and is extremely disappointed that someone went to the effort to scan the old version when they knew a new version was coming. It almost seems that he's wanting to teach the community a lesson. I don't think it'll work, but it's his call.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:10   #35
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
bah, after years of reading papers on the screen, I'ld say nothing is like having the real book in your hand and reading on your sofa. There're a lot of distractions, bells and whistles on my (and most) peoples computers, so it's not a very good reading environment. Also puts a strain on the eyes. I'ld rather pay and get a professionally printed version if it was available, and pay mr Babel for the hard work. But since he doesn't want it, we have to pirate it. Well thanks for the hard work anyway, Ralph !
I agree with you that printed books are better than ebooks. But if its about the money ebooks are a way cheaper to produce.
And if you want to read without disrtaction either disable your sound or simply print it out.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:41   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
It`s sad to see another disgruntled amiga fan but what do you expect when a book that obscure and hard 2 get. so its no wonder it got ported to a digital form, to say they did this when a new version is on way I don't` understand the link

also what life lesson can we draw from all this that haven`t already happened to Amiga community the oh well on with the future.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:53   #37
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
It is already known that we try to reprint the English Amiga Guru Book by Ralph Babel.
Some additions were also planned to the original book.
The German Amiga Guru Book is available for some time now.

Nevertheless some Amiga users needed to put some pirated copies of the book online.
The print material is ready and actually we wanted to give it to the printing press.

But since several weeks there is a torrent with a pirated copy of the English Amiga Guru Book online.

Due to the fact that some Amiga users don't show up any support towards those who keep their platform up and try to supply them with information this project is hereby discontinued.

That's why the Amiga Future project AGG which should be financed through the reprint has also been discontinued.

Original statement by Ralph Babel:

Unfortunately, the release of the 800-page extended edition of the Amiga Guru Book (covering OS 3.x and beyond) scheduled for April was preempted by some fool seeding a scan of the older version into one of those pirate-to-pirate networks, eliminating all hopes of me ever being able to recover the cost of a reprint, so the project had to be stopped immediately to avoid further loss of time and money. Thank you, Keith.

http://babel.de
http://www.apc-tcp.de

Quote:
when you love it, ok.

i am not. i would like print the book.
http://www.lulu.com/it/

if there's a book available as a torrent that means the book wouldn't need no further or little work to be complete and it is just not viable to you economically to print it because of the reasons above.

so print it through an on-demand service like lulu, who wants to have it on print, he will, while you'll have some kind of money back.

anyway, either your project is dead or it is not, that's why i said this proclames by you guys are overkill.

EAB doesn't have anything to do with the torrent file on subject and i don't see how you take for granted support for a book or whatever: publishing is your businness, just that. however, best of luck for it.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:05   #38
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

...And what about taking pre-orders for the updated book. I'm sure those get sold... It's seems like a bit of a waste to put the update in the schredder
Old 16 May 2008, 12:10   #39
AndreasM

Quote:
http://www.lulu.com/it/
so print it through an on-demand service like lulu, who wants to have it on print, he will, while you'll have some kind of money back.
Ralph say no. and i dont invest more time to talk with ralph for this way...

Quote:
anyway, either your project is dead or it is not, that's why i said this proclames by you guys are overkill.
the pirate user where spread the copie kill the project.

Quote:
EAB doesn't have anything to do with the torrent file on subject and i don't see how you take for granted support for a book or whatever: publishing is your businness, just that. however, best of luck for it.
dont know.

but EAB are a part from the what kill my fun at this project. how many copies from the Guru-Book must i delete in the zone? 3? 4?
that the reason why i dont invest time to talk with Ralph for change his decide.

sure, i am the bad guy for you. but i dont kill the project! the project killed by the pirates.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:45   #40
Marcuz

Quote:
sure, i am the bad guy for you. but i dont kill the project! the project killed by the pirates.
never said you are a bad guy: i may strongly disapprove your vision in which you support this community, and i have often found your intervents a bore, but i think it's perfectly legit to pursue your success in your businness and i would do the same prolly in regard of this book publishing, if i was at your place. sincerely, best of luck.