English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 June 2003, 23:54   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Atari St version of HOL!!!

Here ya go Atari ST buffs....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/des.wat...yclopedia.html

Nice attempt to database Atari St games....not as good as the Little Green Desktop

http://www.atari.st/view.php

but ok.
Old 27 June 2003, 00:14   #2
IFW

I am a "bit" biased towards our folks, but honestly it does not even come close to hol.
Old 27 June 2003, 01:35   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

There is no compare. Just like the Atari St was inferior to the Amige, so is this website to HOL. HOL is a landmark in retrogaming annals.
But this is a nice site, and deserves praise
Old 27 June 2003, 08:13   #4
Pyromania

If you click on many of the letters like S for example, I wanted to lookup the ST version of Shadow of the Beast. Most buttons are not ready and just give you a lame message with bad jaggie car graphics.
Old 27 June 2003, 14:56   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The site certainly appears to be influenced heavily by HOL...

What's up with the 640x480 screenshots squeezed into 300x300 tables? That looks horrible!
Old 27 June 2003, 15:18   #6
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Its better then nothing.
Old 27 June 2003, 15:19   #7
fiath

Give the guy a break.

You guys have worked so hard on HOL, and that inspires other people to try to do something similar. But a one man (it seems to me) project is not really in the same league...

Actually, I think an Atari ST HOL is a great idea. Perhaps you can employ that guy to populate it.
Old 27 June 2003, 15:30   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Actually, I was not attacking the concept, the presence or the interface. I noted the similarity (which is impossible to miss) and noted that the art of squeezing screenshots out of proportion looks awful. And it does, whether on that site or any other site.

I'm not an HOL snob...
Old 27 June 2003, 16:57   #9
fiath

I am! I was only mucking about anyway.

But your right I guess, he needs a RCK
Old 27 June 2003, 23:54   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
The site certainly appears to be influenced heavily by HOL...

What's up with the 640x480 screenshots squeezed into 300x300 tables? That looks horrible!
It can't even begin to compare. The screenshots are ugly as sin. And.....note that I included a link to the Little Green Desktop, a much better site.
Old 28 June 2003, 00:50   #11
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
But your right I guess, he needs a RCK
no times !
Old 29 June 2003, 04:57   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
It can't even begin to compare. The screenshots are ugly as sin. And.....note that I included a link to the Little Green Desktop, a much better site.
Yeah, I seriously hope those games at that site don't really look as terrible, but Pyro and I were having a phone chat and doing side-by-side comparisons between the Amiga and ST versions of games (that site only has 0 and A, so it wasn't that much to compare). Everyone should do this...it really is fascinating at how much better Amiga versions were graphically.

Then we checked the games that there were no Amiga versions of. Over half of those were PD (like STOS games) that were only listed because they appear on "menu disks". Most of those were simply terrible looking. Even the commercial games not appearing on the Amiga were pretty terrible looking. I would imagine the Amiga missed out on very little in the way of missed commercial games.

As for LGD, I was researching some Amiga games in the past which LGD turned up for the games on Google. I was very nice, posted to their clumsy forum correcting info in their database, ie, they claimed Growth to be a PD game, so I posted a small scan of the game box and offered the year of release, etc. Not a single response, nor did they update their info. I get the impression nobody is running the shop other than a series of scripts, which is a hugely impersonal experience. I returned a month later and it took me forever to even find my post there due to their inadequate forum engine. I noticed a few others posting correction info, which also appeared to be unattended to.

We're really very fortunate that the Amiga community is so passionate about its heritage! It's the price we pay for being, as CBM stiffs referred to the Amiga community, "a bunch of fanatics".
Old 29 June 2003, 05:34   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Yeah, I seriously hope those games at that site don't really look as terrible, but Pyro and I were having a phone chat and doing side-by-side comparisons between the Amiga and ST versions of games (that site only has 0 and A, so it wasn't that much to compare). Everyone should do this...it really is fascinating at how much better Amiga versions were graphically.

Then we checked the games that there were no Amiga versions of. Over half of those were PD (like STOS games) that were only listed because they appear on "menu disks". Most of those were simply terrible looking. Even the commercial games not appearing on the Amiga were pretty terrible looking. I would imagine the Amiga missed out on very little in the way of missed commercial games.

As for LGD, I was researching some Amiga games in the past which LGD turned up for the games on Google. I was very nice, posted to their clumsy forum correcting info in their database, ie, they claimed Growth to be a PD game, so I posted a small scan of the game box and offered the year of release, etc. Not a single response, nor did they update their info. I get the impression nobody is running the shop other than a series of scripts, which is a hugely impersonal experience. I returned a month later and it took me forever to even find my post there due to their inadequate forum engine. I noticed a few others posting correction info, which also appeared to be unattended to.

We're really very fortunate that the Amiga community is so passionate about its heritage! It's the price we pay for being, as CBM stiffs referred to the Amiga community, "a bunch of fanatics".
As I'm listening to "A Soldier's Death" by Enrico Morricione, I lament their forum layout. It's abysmal, no class, prro "order" and totally impersonal and cold. It's worse than Network 54 Amiga forum. The place does not have personality by any means.
I just use their and The Legacy's Atari St scans for my research/hunting needs

I think many of the Atari ST games look pretty bland next to their prettier Amiga counterparts. But some look as good or better.
Old 07 July 2003, 07:32   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I e mail the guy. I tell him that I have 2000+ Atari St pics in consistent size, in .gif format, and would be happy to allow him to download these from me via P2P or MSN messenger, etc.
He e mails me back.
He happily asks I e mail him a 40 MB file (zipped).

How do I tell him he's got some issues?
Politely?
Old 07 July 2003, 10:51   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

Tell him to kiss your :P

nah just explain a 40Mb email is a no-no.. and he'll have to go another way about it

If you really want up it to my FTP and I'll stick it on my NTL webspace and he can get it from there
Old 07 July 2003, 15:02   #16
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Its weird when you think despite loyalty given by numerous C64 &/or Amiga owners, they (Gould, Ali & the other boardroom parasites.),never really understood the users-a pity the likes Jay Miner & co. never were the ones at the helm of CBM's boardrooms/management.
Old 07 July 2003, 15:29   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I guess corporate stiffs will never understand the creative mind. Unfortunately, there are entirely too many of those suits these days which makes for a threadbare, soul-less cyber-existance. Thankfully we have emulation to escape this vapid scenario!