English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 June 2013, 09:23   #21
TCD
Global Moderator

TCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Germany
Age: 39
Posts: 24,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Don't fall for many Greedbayer's "cashing-in" schemes and only pay reasonably.
TCD is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 June 2013, 09:39   #22
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I always bid at the last minute, most people do. These days I'm convinced most early bids are shill bids anyway, anything I list on auction only gets bids at the last moment.
This is one of the problems with bidding on ebay. They should extend the closing time for every late bid, e.g. so it will not end for at least half an hour after the last bid.
demolition is offline  
Old 20 June 2013, 10:34   #23
roy bates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: birmingham
Age: 48
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This is one of the problems with bidding on ebay. They should extend the closing time for every late bid, e.g. so it will not end for at least half an hour after the last bid.
that doesent really make any sense if its already been on for 9 days.it has to end at the time it says it does.
other wise it would be open forever.
roy bates is offline  
Old 20 June 2013, 10:41   #24
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
that doesent really make any sense if its already been on for 9 days.it has to end at the time it says it does.
other wise it would be open forever.
No, because there is a limit as to how much people will pay.
A real auction will also go on as long as people bid, and I'm sure the seller won't mind the auction extending if it means more bids.

A Danish auction site (now owned by ebay) used this method some time ago, and I think it worked great.
demolition is offline  
Old 20 June 2013, 10:50   #25
roy bates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: birmingham
Age: 48
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
No, because there is a limit as to how much people will pay.
A real auction will also go on as long as people bid, and I'm sure the seller won't mind the auction extending if it means more bids.

A Danish auction site (now owned by ebay) used this method some time ago, and I think it worked great.

sorry yes,thats what i was thinking.
but then youll have peaple bidding like nutters for stuff thats not really worth all that much(panic bidding),i think its a bad idea.

say for instance it turns into a trend and machines start going for riculous amounts of money(not that it isent already,but it has a limited time on bids) other peaple will be saying oh ive seen this item go for #### amount and use that as a scale to wich to gauge interest.it would be insane.
sure, its an extreme.but if you think about it,its already the case at the moment with ebay sellers qouting other sales as reference.
sure,it would be good for peaple selling,but buying?

its already silly with peaple putting L@@K RARE and CLASSIC RETRO ITEM for sale all over the place.

Last edited by roy bates; 20 June 2013 at 10:56.
roy bates is offline  
Old 20 June 2013, 11:00   #26
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
sorry yes,thats what i was thinking.
but then youll have peaple bidding like nutters for stuff thats not really worth all that much,i think its a bad idea.
I don't really see the problem with that. Nobody is forcing you to bid. If things are too expensive, then don't buy it. But realistically I don't think it will increase the prices in general. It might just level them out and make it harder to score a good A1200 for say 30 as some people have. It would make me more confident to put things up for sale without risking having to let it go for nothing just because someone got lucky to snipe the auction in the last second.

Edit: Also, many auctions are put up by people who actually make money buying and selling stuff on ebay. I wouldn't mind them going out of business.
demolition is offline  
Old 20 June 2013, 11:18   #27
roy bates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: birmingham
Age: 48
Posts: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I don't really see the problem with that. Nobody is forcing you to bid. If things are too expensive, then don't buy it. But realistically I don't think it will increase the prices in general. It might just level them out and make it harder to score a good A1200 for say 30 as some people have. It would make me more confident to put things up for sale without risking having to let it go for nothing just because someone got lucky to snipe the auction in the last second.

Edit: Also, many auctions are put up by people who actually make money buying and selling stuff on ebay. I wouldn't mind them going out of business.


true,it would simply reach a saturation point.

yes,i wouldnt mind if some of the sellers disapeared.
roy bates is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 03:11   #28
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

T_hairy_bootson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 2,027
Normal auctions dont run for nine days so the logic of extending the auction every time someone bids isnt really a valid argument in my opinion.
T_hairy_bootson is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing amiga os 3.5/3.9 using winuae then moving cf to amiga 1200 alienkidmj12 support.Hardware 11 02 May 2014 08:30
Amiga SYS AGA on real Amiga 1200 D4Ni3L3 New to Emulation or Amiga scene 14 24 November 2009 17:04
[sell] Amiga 1200 end Amiga 4000 ONLY EUROPE Dexther MarketPlace 11 21 October 2009 14:24
FS/FA: Amiga Guru Book & Amiga 1200 Service Manual vamigan MarketPlace 3 11 August 2007 14:56
Amiga 1200 H/W For Sale - Amiga 4000 H/W Wanted! CU_AMiGA MarketPlace 5 12 January 2007 02:42

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.23242 seconds with 12 queries