English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 October 2010, 19:27   #1
blur2040

WHDLoad CD32 and It Came From The Desert

I have wanted to play It Came From the Desert since about 1995. I bought a bunch of PC floppy disks at a yard sale and amongst them were the disks for this game. I never got them to work on my PC, but the logo of the game just looked so cool, and the disks were called reels...and I just really wanted to try it.

Older and wiser, now, I have an NTSC CD32 and am in a position to play the proper Amiga version of it.

I am using the CD32 compilation maker by Lennon Lives. The game loads fine, but there are a few issues:

1. The game will only load if I have the CD32 joystick plugged in. No Master system pads or single button sticks will do. It just resets back to the menu.

If I remove the CD32 joystick while the game is loaded, the system automatically goes back to the menu.

2. Worst part, even with the CD32 pad plugged in, the game doesn't play quite right. The Intro plays, and I can get to the screen in which you tell the game that you want to start a new game by pushing the fire button. After that, the fire button does not work. I can click the mouse button to pause the game and unpause, but if I push the fire button, nothing happens.

I recently discovered, though, that if I spin my mouse/trackball (I converted an Atari trackball to use as an Amiga mouse (it's GREAT, btw)) I am able to push the fire button. But that means any time I want to make a selection, I have to spin the ball. The rest of the joypad works all the time. I can move cursors when they're available, but to make selections, I have to spin the trackball, which is ridiculous.

This problem doesn't appear in emulators and I'm kinda stumped. Googling shows nothing. I'd like to be able to just sit and play the game for once without resorting to an emulator.

My thoughts are that maybe the slave doesn't like the special CD32 version of WHDload... I'm curious if there may be some kind of work around or at least if anybody has hit this issue before.
Old 12 November 2010, 08:28   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

back to the menu? which menu? Can you be more specific.

This should not happen. It usually only happens with CD32 titles and using a non-CD32 pad.