English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 April 2007, 23:01   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Hungry Horace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Age: 36
Posts: 2,478
i've played some bubble bobble on kaillera-winuae with the pack from my site.... plays pretty well, and i got pretty far as i recall!
Hungry Horace is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 April 2007, 23:07   #22
macce2
Retro maniac

macce2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 854
well, maybe SOTB..?! :-)
macce2 is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 13:55   #23
NfernalNfluence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: living among the Moai
Posts: 219
bionic commando
NfernalNfluence is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 13:58   #24
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
Bionic Commando have brilliant music, but game quickly become little boring.
s2325 is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 14:18   #25
laffer
Zone Friend

laffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norway
Age: 36
Posts: 1,335
James Pond, Turrican 2, Shadow of the Beast 2 and Superfrog (and several others I can't think of right now).
laffer is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 14:36   #26
Marcuz
Wurk???
Marcuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: .
Age: 41
Posts: 5,185
the best ever are these 3 for me:

single screen: Bubble Bobble
adventure: Turrican 2
speed: Wiz'n'Liz

in absolute, i guess Wiz'n'Liz is the best.
Marcuz is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 14:47   #27
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: #Confefe
Age: 45
Posts: 2,285
Kid Gloves (according to some mag with fanny people )
Anubis is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 14:57   #28
humble worm
Registered User
humble worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BP/Poland
Age: 39
Posts: 745
Gods
humble worm is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 15:00   #29
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Codetapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland / New Zealand
Posts: 3,135
Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
Turrican 2
Superfrog

my faves
Both Turrican 2 and Superfrog are crap - Stuart Campbell says so, therefore it must be fact

My favs in alphabetical order:

Bubble Bobble
Giana Sisters
Pang
Qwak
Rainbow Islands
Rodland
Snow Bros (surprised nobody has mentioned this one!)
Superfrog
Turrican 2
Codetapper is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 15:08   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Both Turrican 2 and Superfrog are crap - Stuart Campbell says so, therefore it must be fact

My favs in alphabetical order:

Bubble Bobble
Giana Sisters
Pang
Qwak
Rainbow Islands
Rodland
Snow Bros (surprised nobody has mentioned this one!)
Superfrog
Turrican 2
I would add Lionheart & Aladdin too.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 15:23   #31
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: #Confefe
Age: 45
Posts: 2,285
Add Mr. Nutz and Fire and Ice to that list and the list is complete.
Anubis is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 15:38   #32
Ultron
Something

Ultron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Amigaland, Nostalgia
Age: 42
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm
Gods
You are...correct
Ultron is offline  
Old 08 May 2007, 17:22   #33
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,034
Yo!Joe! fur de win!
Shoonay is offline  
Old 09 May 2007, 14:45   #34
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Mercenary !!!

Thats not a platformer you complete Targ Explorer!!!!


*hehehe*
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 00:54   #35
wanderer
I want an A1000

wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pac-Land
Posts: 654
I wouldn't tag Turrican, SOTB, Gods, Flashback and Lionheart as platformers, they're more complex games. (these 5, not the platformers). I'd call them... arcade games!
And remember... a platformer worthy of its genre, is always, always taking place in a cutesy environment.
Some great ones that spring to mind: Rodland, Superfrog, Rainbow Islands, the James Ponds, Lupo Alberto.
Although Superfrog (Fire & Ice too) probably breaks out of the boundaries of the platformer genre, due to the extensive level-exploring and overall greatness.
Hmm it's getting late...
wanderer is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 01:34   #36
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
I wouldn't tag Turrican, SOTB, Gods, Flashback and Lionheart as platformers, they're more complex games. (these 5, not the platformers). I'd call them... arcade games!
And remember... a platformer worthy of its genre, is always, always taking place in a cutesy environment.
Some great ones that spring to mind: Rodland, Superfrog, Rainbow Islands, the James Ponds, Lupo Alberto.
Although Superfrog (Fire & Ice too) probably breaks out of the boundaries of the platformer genre, due to the extensive level-exploring and overall greatness.
Hmm it's getting late...
I know what you meant, platformer is to vage. For me it looks like this:

Single Screen Platformer:

Rainbow Island
Parasol Stars
Snow Brothers
Rodland
Bubble Bobble

Scrolling Platformer:

Giana Sisters
Superfrog
Fire & Ice
Aladdin
B. C. Kid (awesome PC-Engine port of Bonk)


Run'n'Gun & Arcade games:

Turrican I & II
Lionheart
Ruff'n'Tumble

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 May 2007 at 01:54.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 01:35   #37
Legerdemain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Umeň / Sweden
Posts: 188
I think it is quite sad that Chuck Rock II always tends to be forgotten. Maybe it is because it is so much less of a Europan platformer and more like a Japanese one: you don't have to bother about collecting X items to open the exit (like in Superfrog, Zool, Robocod, Kid Chaos), you don't have maze-like levels (like in Turrican and so many other games). Also, there's classic boss-fights, the style of the graphics is warm and colourful in a tasteful way and the levels are VERY varied throughout the game and the details are everywhere and top-notch, the soundtrack is melodic and memorable... actually, everything about the game seems just so right. The only thing I dislike about the game is the fact that the MegaDrive/Genesis version is superior graphicswise (but I don't care since the Amiga version stands well on its own).

Maybe not the best platformer. But certainly neglected and forgotten. Just like The Addams Family, which I also find rather intriguing (but not nearly as good as Chuck Rock II).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
I know what you meant, platformer is to vage. For me it looks like this:

Platformer:

Rainbow Island
Parasol Stars
Snow Brothers
Rodland
Bubble Bobble

Jump'n Run:

Giana Sisters
Superfrog
Fire & Ice
Aladdin
B. C. Kid (awesome PC-Engine port of Bonk)


Jump'n'Shot & Arcade games:

Turrican I & II
Lionheart
Ruff'n'Tumble
What? I mean, genres are never static, that is one thing that I am certain of... but the ones you list as regular platformers are what I would call classic arcade platformers (one screen or scrolling). The ones you call jump'n'run is what I would call classic platformers (and I would certainly place Lionheart in that category). Turrican I & II and Ruff'n'Tumble would then be run'n'gun (just like Gunstar Heroes, for the MegaDrive/Genesis... a platformer + shooter, all in one... but not a SHMUP, which is games like Gradius, R-Type and Ikaruga). It might sound a bit odd, but if you turn to console players I think they would in a majority agree. While there seems to be some kind of doxa concerning the genres of games when looking at the console market I have never understood why there is so many different ways of dealing with genres when looking at the computer market (specially when it comes to older games).

Wikipedia on run'n'gun (Turrican is listed there).

Last edited by Legerdemain; 10 May 2007 at 01:50.
Legerdemain is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 01:48   #38
EmuChicken
Senior Member
EmuChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan (moved!)
Age: 34
Posts: 719
I'm quite sure all this gun and run stuff all came from magazines in and from around Germany.... whenever i got a mag, jump and run and all wierd genres were named
EmuChicken is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 01:53   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
LOL, yes. Maybe to crazy german genres. I've correct the subgenres.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_%E...n%E2%80%99_Run
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 10 May 2007, 02:08   #40
Legerdemain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Umeň / Sweden
Posts: 188
I think the major problem with genres when it comes to games is the cross-over games. Why? Well, because they tend to redifine the original genre and, if there are many games released which have the same cross-over style, it tends to form a new sub-genre within the original genre.

Like... in the beginning there was the space shooter (Asteroids, Galaga, what not). Which then evolved into the vertical scrolling shooter (Xevious) and later the horizontal scrolling shooter (Gradius). Confusion arose, since these kind of shooters began to have very little in common with the original space shooter... so, the new sub-category shoot'em up's was born (which in turn included the vertical style and the horizontal style). Same thing happened with the light-gun-shooters (Wild Gundman) and the rail-shooters (Microcosm, Rez), and another two sub-genres to the SHMUP were born. All because games that didn't fit into the original genre but came in such quantities that they had to have their own genre defined. With the sub-genres defined, the definition of the original genre (space shooter) made the genre change its name to shooter, which in turn held all these sub-genres. Confusing? Well, yes, because it is never static... ever... so I can't say that you or you or you are wrong... and that I am right... because there is no wrong and right, really.

I mean... should one define Turrican II as a platformer? Or a shooter? Or both, as in the run'n'gun? But then, what about the SHMUP-stages? What do we get then? A run'n'gun/SHMUP? Or should one actually call it a platformer/shooter/SHMUP? Crazy shit, it is...

;-)
Legerdemain is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best PD Platformer? Dreedo request.Old Rare Games 11 13 August 2011 18:45
Amiga Team17 classic platformer, Qwak, re-envisioned for iPhone, by original author. qwak Retrogaming General Discussion 64 13 November 2010 14:27
Under Cover 2d platformer AmigaNG Amiga scene 4 18 August 2007 19:35
Gods (platformer)....... extentofmysin Retrogaming General Discussion 31 11 August 2007 17:16
3d platformer superquake Looking for a game name ? 4 04 October 2005 21:42

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.23880 seconds with 14 queries