English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 November 2016, 03:27   #1
RetroJelly

Issue with Picasso96 setup

Hi folks. I set up the latest (stable) version of WinUAE according to the Green Amiga Alien's guide at abime. Everything has gone well until partway through the configuration of Picasso96. Upon starting emulation I get error messages like "could not create graphics board context for uaegfx" "intuition is attempting to reset the workbench screen". I have googled these error messages but have no idea how to mess with tooltips, drivers, or whatever on an Amiga. Your aid will be appreciated.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 November 2016, 09:09   #2
thomas

During installation, did the installer select uaegfx automatically or did you have to select it manually?

If it didn't select it automatically, you probably don't have a gfx card (i.e. RTG memory) configured. P96 is a gfx card driver, without a gfx card it has nothing to drive.

If the message still appears with RTG memory, then check if there is a file called Picasso96Settings in Devs (it doesn't have an icon, so use "show all files" from the menu). If it's there, delete it.
Old 11 November 2016, 01:44   #3
RetroJelly

In accordance with the tutorial I followed, I manually selected it. Then after adding a RTG board as per instructions (UAE Zorro III had an asterisk, implying to me that it was the recommended one) and the default 4MB of VRAM, and finally hitting reset, nothing changed. I feel like i'm, in this case, the idiot from the idiom about it being impossible to idiot-proof stuff :\

Also, according to the error log there's "Too large Z2 RTG memory size" and "Z3 RTG and 24bit address space are not compatible".

Last edited by RetroJelly; 11 November 2016 at 07:17. Reason: More info that looked useful
Old 11 November 2016, 08:48   #4
thomas

When you run WinUAE for the first time you should select the "high end example configuration" from the quickstart menu. It has all you need to emulate an Amiga with a P96-compatible graphics card, including the card itself.

If the P96 installer automatically select uaegfx, it's the first sign that the configuration is correct.
Old 12 November 2016, 05:14   #5
RetroJelly

Alright, i'll grab the installer version. I forgot to mention that the version I have been using was simply a (64-bit) executable. I'll try that and then try moving stuff over a bit at a time.

My intent was to minimize the installation of components that would eventually wind up redundant or unnecessary, and it looks like that backfired.

Thanks for your aid so far

Last edited by RetroJelly; 12 November 2016 at 05:20. Reason: moar info
Old 12 November 2016, 07:36   #6
thomas

Not sure what you are talking about. Winuae.exe is all you need. And a kick.rom of course.

What I tried to tell you is you should select an adequate quickstart config to start with. You obviously configured some kind of A500 which is very limited in its address space.

Certainly you could adjust your config as well. But obviously you're missing the knowledge about Amiga computers to do so. Therefore it's better to start all over with a good base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quickstart.png
Views:	72
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	50804  
AdSense AdSense