English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 August 2020, 14:33   #61
ronybeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Why all the animosity to the Vampire?
It is mainly a few select people. Some have taken it upon themselves to personally crusade against anything vampire related. It isn't necessary really. I don't get chucky's reasoning. He is a nice guy but gets cranky when the "V" word is mentioned. In the end, people vote with their wallets. There is huge demand for vampire accelerators for a reason. Whether one loves or hates the cards or the guys/gals behind it, they are popular.

If you want the fastest m68k A1200, the Vampire accelerator is simply a no brainer. 450€ and it is leaps ahead of the Warp1260 (with max overclock) in memory and CPU performance. For sure the Warp1260 will sell by the truck loads though. It is a freaking awesome card and the only real competition to the Vampire. But the price of 060's is already getting silly (100-400€) plus the card.....you could be forking out 500-700€, maybe more.

Jens will have a hard time competing against these two cards. The Vampire boards and Warp1260 are packed full of onboard goodies so unless Jens is willing to sell his cards for next to nothing, there is little reason to choose an iComp accelerator over a these cards.

About 6 months ago I forked out 500€ for a blizzard 1260. It isn't worth 200€ now in my estimation. If you are die hard purist and accept nothing less than a Motorola stamped CPU, Warp1260 is the most attractive option.

But in the end, the vampire is demonstrably faster, easier to install and at least 100€ cheaper. It is by far the best option if you just want more speed.
Old 05 August 2020, 14:51   #62
Chucky

@meeku first of all it is a "attitude".. "noone wants fpu" even when people nagged that they wanted fpu.. but no. "noone wants it" then some guy releases a fpu emulator that people use. THEN out of the blue it is suddenly implemented. half-assed.. it rounds way off compared to a 882 etc. but I guess ok for most implementations (demos and games) then no MMU when people want it. again same thing. but then instead there is this "trump" kinda-answer: there is one. and it is the best of them all. but you cannot use it. it is not enabled to users.. developing userfriendly stuff debuggingtools can be quite handy, they use the MMU. still no reply..

I do not care if "yours is better" if it cannot be used and if users can access it: no software using it

then I do remember when we had new cpus etc. we did have issues. i do not like the potential compabilityissues. for me the amiga is a machine i want to preserve. some things are static. like cpu (000-060) and chipset registers.. (new stuff? heck a raspberry pi costs a fraction and is faster if I need to use new software etc anyway)

and then we have the simply thing: I do not trust them. why? well when the vamp was new. they DID say: you will get fpu, aga etc the fpga is large enough.. then they noticed this wasn't possible. instead they just erase all that, like as if it never happend.

also they had internal issues in the team. what did they do? suddenly to be able to update your card. you was forced to REGISTER it or it became "halfbricked" when flashing it (black and white output).. so if I had one. maybe they suddenly thinks: ok lets do it like this. it is a subscription model. pay yearly update or your board will get throttled to 40MHz... maybe due to more lies about "pirated cards" etc

And new functions. hell back in the time when the Amiga was my main machine I would LOVE it.. but now when the 080 is a one-man-project.. you never knows if he just says "fckit" and leaves you with a half-done project. or get hit by a bus, covid. whatever.. suddenly you sit there with a big program-project that maybe cannnot be finished due to issues etc.

but saying that the 080 is like a 175Mhz machine is not true if it requires special code that runs only 080 code etc. then it would be more fair to say that "080 compiled code runs like..." remember that most of our software, the sources is lost. you cannot recomplile the code..

(and remember this is not even when I get started with their AGA implementation.. who knows when IT will be forced upon you when you maybe just want to use it as an accelerator)
Old 05 August 2020, 14:56   #63
mulder77

Awesome, all of your typical FUD nicely summarized. Thanks.
Old 05 August 2020, 15:05   #64
Chucky

so what is FUD about that? registration did not happen? the fpu talk? the mmu? the fact that you need to "080 optimize"? what is wrong?
Old 05 August 2020, 15:43   #65
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
also they had internal issues in the team. what did they do? suddenly to be able to update your card. you was forced to REGISTER it or it became "halfbricked" when flashing it (black and white output).. so if I had one. maybe they suddenly thinks: ok lets do it like this. it is a subscription model. pay yearly update or your board will get throttled to 40MHz... maybe due to more lies about "pirated cards" etc
Hello, mate, I am seriously thinking of registering for a V4 SA. Can you please let me know more on the quoted part? If it is true, this sounds like a deal breaker.
Old 05 August 2020, 15:45   #66
Chucky

when the V2 was their mainboard. suddenly they had internal issues in the team. they claimed there was pirated boards out there. so if you haven't registered your board. all output became black and white.. you had a period to register and then at next firmwareupdate your serialno was cleared and color got back.. no warning. just happend.

the rest about subscription i hope was clear is my "what's next??" hypothetical question.. what next can happen if they think of something OR have more internal issues in the team?
Old 05 August 2020, 15:52   #67
manossg

OK, it's clear now, thanks!
Old 05 August 2020, 16:07   #68
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronybeck View Post
About 6 months ago I forked out 500€ for a blizzard 1260. It isn't worth 200€ now in my estimation.
Okay pm me, i'll take it off you for 200......
Old 05 August 2020, 16:32   #69
mulder77

No need for 080/AMMX optimization.
Regular 020/040/060 binaries are much faster on the 080 than on any 060. meeku was pretty clear on this part.

The FPU on the V2 was never a priority, as far as I can tell from their communication. The core was always with FPU but compromises must be made if space is limited.
It was always told to buy the product with the features given at the time. If you look at what has been added since, I'd say this is pretty good customer service.

For the sake of some other members here, I think it's better not to open the pirated cards discussion here again.
Old 05 August 2020, 16:50   #70
ronybeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Hello, mate, I am seriously thinking of registering for a V4 SA. Can you please let me know more on the quoted part? If it is true, this sounds like a deal breaker.
Don't listen to Chucky. He is, as other have already mentioned, full of FUD. There is no black and white mode nor is there any yearly subscription. There is no half-bricking.

If you want correct information about the Vampire cards, visit the official forums: apollo-core.com.
Old 05 August 2020, 17:44   #71
daxb

Sorry, all the information that are marked as FUD came directly from Gunnar. All what Chucky described happened (over several years). You can reread it. I think the problem is just misunderstanding and the time context is missing.

@meeku:
I think you misunderstood me because you confirmed what I was saying/try to say.
Old 05 August 2020, 18:03   #72
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Sorry, all the information that are marked as FUD came directly from Gunnar. All what Chucky described happened (over several years). You can reread it. I think the problem is just misunderstanding and the time context is missing.
I would like some links, please.
Old 05 August 2020, 18:20   #73
Chucky

wow people have forgotten the black and white thing.. impressive how the sect of vampires forget the weird stuff that happend. well I can tell you. the vampire I got here in my donor-box shows a black-and-white screen on RTG. guess why? as I refused to register it. instead I trashed it it is not FUD. . it is REMEMBERING STUFF...
(well now I guess it will not show anything. as. it haven't been really eh. ESD handled)

ofcourse the apollo site contains all "correct" data. except the negative parts. as that is deleted..
Old 05 August 2020, 18:28   #74
Chucky

I actually say that vampirepeople are like applepeople. apollo-core.com is a good example.. go t the forum at apples site and ask: "I dropped my iphone in water. I need to get pictures from it. I PAY, I just want the pictures" the answer will be "not possible" if someone say "it can be done. have it repaired so it atleast boots up and you can extract the data" this answer even if it is true. WILL be deleted and user that wrote it will be either deleted or warned.

write anything negative about vampire there. same action.. even if the thing it true..

so even if it might be a good source what it got. .it is not the complete saga..
Old 05 August 2020, 18:36   #75
manossg

I think that with a product as popular as the Vampire, there should be at least a dozen of YT videos showcasing such problems as the black and white output.
Old 05 August 2020, 18:42   #76
Chucky

FUD?

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...18103&z=4sbjil

yah FUD.. absolutly. .

ok they might fixed that later. so meanwhile they had internal issues. their users was "hostage" of their internal problems.... lets see next time things happens.
Old 05 August 2020, 18:55   #77
ronybeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
I think that with a product as popular as the Vampire, there should be at least a dozen of YT videos showcasing such problems as the black and white output.
If you want to know how V4 users have found their card, join the V4 chat room on slack.com. Send me a PM if you need an invite.

Chucky is referring to the V500 with the black and white screen but he doesn't make it clear that this was removed for the V500 and the V600 a long time ago. Actually the link he just posted makes that very clear, I am surprised he didn't notice that himself. The V1200 and V4 never had this. There isn't any bricking mode, half or otherwise, nor is there any artificial speed locking. You get what is advertised. 85Mhz of 060 crushing performance.

Again, join the slack channel and ask owners what they think and what their experience is. Chucky has no experience with the V4 or the V1200 cards. The developers are very proactive there and you can get problems/questions answered quickly.

Last edited by ronybeck; 05 August 2020 at 19:20. Reason: A rather confusing sentence was corrected.
Old 05 August 2020, 19:08   #78
manossg

Thanks, guys, your answers will help a lot towards an informed decision.
Old 05 August 2020, 19:08   #79
Chucky

"ok they might fixed that later. so meanwhile they had internal issues. their users was "hostage" of their internal problems.... lets see next time things happens." if you read that. I actually say that they fixed it later..

however. the issue still remained.! the users was hostage. register OR your product will be "halfbricked" something that never was told in the beginning..
it was "solved" not a week after or so. how long was it? half year? year? more? it wasn't a bug (BUGS happens. so all ok with that) it was a stupid thing as the team had internal issues and kicked people and blamed stuff etc. users got in between..

interesting same thing thas Gunnar claims I did: reversing or trying to reversing and selling vampires.. same old saga. same old bullshit.
you can claim that the things I say is "FUD" but it is not made up. to compare of gunnars claim on slack that is a lie and nothing BUT FUD..

so it means the mentality to do similiar things in the future IS there.

Last edited by Chucky; 05 August 2020 at 19:15.
Old 05 August 2020, 19:28   #80
Chucky

Anyway moderators. clean this up.. I am out..