English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 April 2005, 05:08   #1
rartist

Real Amiga HD to winUAE

I have a two HD's that I took from a mostly dead A2000. The former primary drive is a SCSI 256mb. I got a PCI scsi card from my brother, in my win2k Athlon on the current cut of winUAE. I have set it up to run WB & KS 3.1 booting from a HD image on the PC. All that works very well, brings back lots of memories.

I'm trying to rescue the stuff from the A2000's HD's, stuff like my teenage son talking when he was 3. I put the SCISI card in and hooked up the HD, and the drive runs. In the winUAE setup I can see the drive, it calls it by name and sees it's size. When I start WB, the drive is nowhere to be seen. I've messed with a lot of the settings and come up with zip.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but it's late.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmigaHDwin.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	8447  

Old 26 April 2005, 08:53   #2
thomas

Probably the drive is not RDB compatible. What does HDToolbox say about it ?

What kind of SCSI controller does your A2000 have ? Could you find it on www.amiga-hardware.com, the description should tell if it supports RDB or has its own type of partition table.

You could try to check the drive with RDBrecov from Aminet.
Old 26 April 2005, 09:17   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE only shows drives with RDB (or completely empty drives) in Harddrive select box. (check winuaebootlog.txt for more info about the drive)

Attach your winuaelog.txt and also run hdtoolbox ("hdtoolbox uaehf.device"). It should detect the drive and show partition(s) and filesystem(s). Maybe it uses some weird filesystem that is incompatible with newer/older Kickstarts..
Old 26 April 2005, 13:17   #4
rartist

HDtoolbox doesn't see it.

Part of my problem is that I havn't used the thing for 10 years. The scsi card I used with it was a '030 40mhz combo board; scisi, about 4mb ram, cpu. I don't remember the details. I still have the card, but am fresh out of viable A2000's.

I looked at the log, it didn't seem to jump on anything bad about the drive. The boot log sees my win C:\ and harps on it's size. I'm new at this, so I may be missing something. I attatched the logs if anyone would care to have a look.

I'm going to try the other HD tonight, it's a OLD 40mb Quantum with the old head park defect. Takes a good rap to get it unparked.

My brother in law in LA has a A3000, I might just have to send the drives (and possibly the SCSI card?) to him to see what he can do with it. I need to look at the hand me down scisi card I have in my pc, there's a chance that its config or some jumper could be the cause of all this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip uaeLOGS.zip (5.5 KB, 214 views)

Old 26 April 2005, 13:33   #5
rartist

I looked at the card, and gave my head a good scratch. It looks a lot like this one, some of the chips are different, but the layout is mostly the same:

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=177

The name is familiar too.

Last edited by rartist; 26 April 2005 at 13:48.

Old 26 April 2005, 13:41   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm.. Drive is properly detected but it is ignored during boot. Try disabling uaescsi.device (at least disable ASPI-mode)
Old 26 April 2005, 13:50   #7
rartist

I tried that, didn't work. I tried a lot of different settings and can't get through to it.

Old 26 April 2005, 14:18   #8
thomas

How did you start HDToolbox ? Are you sure that HDToolbox searches uaehf.device and not scsi.device ?
Old 26 April 2005, 14:29   #9
rartist

I used the HDtoolbox in the wb3.1 tools. I don't see any settings for what it searches. I imagine that it is looking for the physical drive, but can't see through the emulation? Perhaps something is wrong with my scsi (Adaptec 2940 SCSI, Windows 2000) setup and it is causing the problem?

Old 26 April 2005, 14:45   #10
thomas

Click the HDToolbox icon once, select Icon / Information from the menu and look at the tooltypes. There should be one entry reading SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device. Change this to read SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device. If the entry is surrounded by brackets, remove the brackets. Then save the icon and double click it to start HDToolbox. It should now search uaehf.device.

scsi.device is the name of the standard AmigaOS device driver for the builtin SCSI or IDE controller. It does not work with WinUAE, WinUAE uses uaehf.device instead to wrap AmigaOS HDD calls to the Windows HDD drivers.
Old 27 April 2005, 02:09   #11
rartist

Ok, back from work. I changed the HDtoolBox to the SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device.

I get Interface: SCSI, Address: 0, Lun: 0, Status: unknown.

Old 27 April 2005, 16:26   #12
thomas

Usually it would show the partition's icons on the desktop now.

Are you sure there are standard AmigaOS partitions on there (like those created with HDToolbox) ? Which software did you use to install the HDD for the first time in your Amiga back then ?

RDBrecov is still an option, now that the HDD is visible in UAE.
Old 27 April 2005, 18:54   #13
rartist

As I recall I formatted the drive on the Amiga WB, I think it was a 1.3 system then. It's so long ago that I don't remember much about what it was.

Could there be a conflict with the name? I have my virtual uae HD as Dh0, the real HD was dh0.

When I have some time soon, I'm going to take a crack at my old DH1, see how it looks to uae. I have only enough power plugs to run one at a time.

Old 28 April 2005, 15:35   #14
thomas

Before you can format anything from the Amiga WB, you usually have to mount the drive first (in software, I know it is connected correctly). For HDDs, usually not the entire drive is mounted but partitions are created and mounted seperately. Back in the 1.3 times, every manufacturer had his own method on how to define partitions, so it is quite likely that such an old drive is not recognised automatically by WinUAE. Only later when the first Amigas with built-in HDD controllers appeared, a standard for partition tables was defined (called RDB or RDSK = Rigid Disk Block).

So if the drive does not have an RDB, you have to investigate the partition data and create a mountlist manually. Once more the hint to RDBrecov, it should be able to give you the data you need.
Old 01 May 2005, 18:25   #15
rartist

I started looking at using the RDBrecov tool, and went to read the HD information in the HDtoolBox. It wasn't able to lookup the necessary information. This ap looks like it is more for use on damaged drives (I managed to smash my partition info once too) than for impressing partion information on a healthy different drive. I want to minimize the risk of loss to these drives.

I tried my old dh1, and Quantum Fireball that is even older than my dh0. I can't get that one to be seen at all. I'm still wondering if this problem stems from my SCSI card that I'm hooking the drives to, or some jumper setting on the drives themselves.

I guess I'm going to have to ship these drives to my brother in law in LA to see if his A3000 can read them.