English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 May 2013, 12:40   #1
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Keyrah V2 available in stores from may 20th

Keyrah lets you use keyboards and joysticks of classic computers on the USB port of a modern PC, Mac or Raspberry Pi. We have given our popular product a complete makeover and we'll be able to serve the increased demand starting may 20th, 2013.

The most important change in version 2 is that there is no difference between country-specific keyboard layouts any more. Also, Keyrah V2 does not make a difference between 8-bit computers and Amiga any more: The different versions and layouts can now be chosen with a jumper setting. The following keyboard models are supported out of the box:
  • C64 (all models)
  • VIC-20
  • C16
  • Amiga 1200
  • Amiga 600
The following keyboards can be used with some soldering and added parts (available separately):
  • C128D
  • C128
  • C116, plus/4
In addition to the keyboard, you can use up to two digital joysticks that behave as if the user would press keys on a keyboard.

The first version of Keyrah was already equipped with a replica switch that resembled the C64 power switch. It was used to choose between one of two keyboard layouts: One for everyday use, and the other for use in an emulator. This switch is also available on Keyrah V2, and it has a third non-latching position: If you press and hold the switch in this position for more than one second, the ACPI-signal is sent to the computer, which will either shut down, or go into a power saving mode, depending on the settings in your operating system.

Keyrah V2 is shipped in retail packing with a short manual. An off-the-shelve USB cable is required separately. The recommended retail price of Keyrah V2 is 34,90 EUR (*).

Just like with the first version of Keyrah, we would like to emphasize that we cannot support gutting out functional classic computers. Keyrah V2 is only meant for giving new life to keyboards of irrepairably defective C64, Amiga or other computers.

(*)recommended retail price including 19% VAT. Price and VAT rate may differ in your country. Shipping cost may be added.
Old 13 May 2013, 18:44   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Keyrah V2

Hi guys i just noticed this

http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm

Revised new edition of the popular Keyrah interface

Keyrah V2 is the revised version of the very popular Keyrah interface. Keyrah V2 allows you to connect the keyboards of classic computer systems to modern computers via USB. It also supports digital joysticks of such classic systems, translating the joystick events to key strokes. The list of the supported classic systems has almost remained the same:
  • Commodore 64 (all models)
  • VIC-20
  • C-128*
  • C-128D*
  • C-16
  • C-116**
  • Plus/4**
  • Amiga 1200
  • Amiga 600
* There are no longer connectors fitted for the Commodore 128/128D, but those can be added if necessary (soldering required).
** There are also no connectors for the Plus/4 and C-116, those can also be fitted (PCB modification and soldering required).

What's new?

Unlike the old Keyrah interface that required you to choose between the different supported computer families, Keyrah V2 comes in a single version that works with all systems. It also supports both German and English keyboard layouts, so this distinction is also history. Keyrah V2 provides a jumper that lets you choose the desired configuration, you can either set it to 8-Bit with German keymap, 8-Bit with US keymap, or Amiga.

Keyrah V2's new switch still allows you to switch between the standard and the emulation keymap (just like the old Keyrah did), and it still looks like the original power switch when built into a Commodore 64. Now there's a third switch position that allows you to send an ACPI signal to shut down/power up your computer. To avoid triggering the shutdown procedure by accident, this third position is not locked, so the switch will always flip back from it if not held in place. (The ACPI signal is only sent after remaining one second in this position.)

Please note: USB cable not included.
Old 13 May 2013, 19:58   #3
christianlucio

Amiga 500

Am I right it will not fit for an Amiga 500 ? This ones missing
Old 13 May 2013, 20:14   #4
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

yes it looks like the a500 is not supported as the a600/a1200 use the ribbon cable
Old 13 May 2013, 21:42   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Threads merged.
Old 13 May 2013, 22:41   #6
lukassid

That thing will be selling hot!
Old 14 May 2013, 07:46   #7
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianlucio View Post
Am I right it will not fit for an Amiga 500 ? This ones missing
The A500 keyboard already has a processor. Keyrah and Keyrah V2 are built for the keyboard types that use an open matrix and no processor. The old 8-bit keyboards and A1200/A600 keyboards are like that.

The only non-A500 product that can make use of an A500 keyboard is the Chameleon Docking Station, which can either be used on a Chameleon, or on a Minimig.

Jens
Old 14 May 2013, 11:43   #8
amigakit.com

Keyrah V2 added to webstore:

UK:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1144

USA:
http://amigakit.us/product_info.php?products_id=1144

Europe:

Canada:

Last edited by amigakit.com; 14 May 2013 at 13:48.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:13   #9
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Jens if I may ask, where do you get the ffc connector for the A1200 keyboard ribbon?
Old 19 May 2013, 13:35   #10
jimbob

It's molex part 39-53-2315

Farnell stock the 30 pin version used in A600s but I don't know where you can buy the 31 pin version in small quantities.
Old 19 May 2013, 17:05   #11
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Yeah I found 30 pin connectors, need some FFC ribbon for it too, that's also elusive. I want to connect something* to the keyboard port. The Lyra 2 I notice clips onto a chip on the motherboard instead, but there are reasons I don't want to have to do that. Well, because I want also to be able to use it with the Keyrah, which will save me having to design & make my own keyboard controller circuit.

*namely a replacement keyboard I intend to make.
Old 19 May 2013, 20:02   #12
Schoenfeld
electricky.

These 31-pin raster-1.25mm flat cable connectors are a standard part - at least over in China. I've had a few shipments coming in these past weeks (few hundred kilos!), and these were just a part of them. There are a few spares that I can sell after the production run is completed (maybe another two weeks) - just contact me through the eMail form (which will generate a support ticket).

Jens
Old 19 May 2013, 20:22   #13
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Thanks Jens I'll do that. You wouldn't know where I'd be able to get a cable as well? I suppose you don't use that in any of your products.
Old 23 May 2013, 15:28   #14
chiark
Needs a life

Looks like the shipment to AmigaKit is delayed: now in stock on 28th May...
Old 23 May 2013, 15:52   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Did you preorder? If they have many preorders, items will ship out just as soon as they come in, so they are never seen in stock on the site if the amount of preorders is larger than what they receive. Alternatively, they are in stock at Vesalia.
Old 23 May 2013, 17:46   #16
Schoenfeld
electricky.

All resellers got their shipments at the same time. The best strategy is to order locally and from the reseller that you're expecting the best service from.

Meanwhile, the Wiki with technical documentation went online - it also contains more detailed information about Keyrah V2, which is not in the printed instruction sheet (especially the key assignments): http://wiki.icomp.de

Jens
Old 23 May 2013, 19:57   #17
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It's molex part 39-53-2315

Farnell stock the 30 pin version used in A600s but I don't know where you can buy the 31 pin version in small quantities.
What is the A600-type 30 pin part number?
Old 23 May 2013, 22:20   #18
amigakit.com

We are all prepared and ready to ship out our pre-orders - however we are still awaiting the package from Germany. As soon as it arrives on Tuesday we will be despatching all pre-orders promptly.
Old 19 June 2013, 21:32   #19
themamboman

Amigakit, did you ever receive these? Your website still says TBA but Versalia is showing it in stock.

Thanks!
Old 19 June 2013, 21:39   #20
amigakit.com

Yes, we had a big batch in and sold them quickly. I am pleased to say that we have more due in a few days. You can preorder here:

http://www.amigakit.us/product_info....oducts_id=1144

thank you.