English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 March 2018, 19:47   #61
antiriad76

Ok. I think I found out the issue with the Big Partition support. It seems I was using an earlier PFS Version and not the one Tony Willen released on Amibet a few days ago.

Once I got Tony's FS I was prompted with the message "Enabling experimental >104GB Support" when the PFS Handler took over to format the partition. Now I am in the process of copying files over using the plain vallina A1200 with JIT and Turbo Speed.
Old 26 March 2018, 19:53   #62
Sinphaltimus

Ah, yes, I looked back and noticed you did not specify which version of coffin you were using. Toni's final release is in coffin r49 I believe. Maybe r48, not sure. r49 has been removed and not sure if/when we'll see an r50.
Old 26 March 2018, 20:49   #63
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Ah, yes, I looked back and noticed you did not specify which version of coffin you were using. Toni's final release is in coffin r49 I believe. Maybe r48, not sure. r49 has been removed and not sure if/when we'll see an r50.
The new FS is on R49.

It seems some people are offended by having their 20+ year old programs "pirated". The right course of action would have been to donate these programs as freeware since they do not generate any profit and the Amiga Software scene is pretty much commercially dead.

When the Vampire was initially announced I was also very skeptical since I got burned by the FPGA Arcade which I supported from the start and I am still waiting for any useful AGA Cores to come out or when the 060 daughter-board will be released. It has been more than 5 years without any significant releases and now they are talking about the new FPGA Arcade making the current board obsolete. How long will this take.

On the opposite side the Vampire team has delivered a commercial grade product which has outperformed any other Accelerator that has come up to the market.

I hope that the people behind the Coffin OS won't be discouraged by all these lawsuit threats which I am assuming they are getting right now.

Just a thought....
Old 26 March 2018, 21:02   #64
Sinphaltimus

Well, whomever is responsible for it keeps an honest changelog.

I see a comment about removing licensed software with an apology and then more changlogs that had other software removed like TurboPrint. I'm guessing for the same reason. So along those lines, r50 changelog will at least mention the removal if the person doing it holds true to their track record.

https://apolloos.weebly.com/uploads/.../changelog.txt
Old 26 March 2018, 21:17   #65
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiriad76 View Post
It seems some people are offended by having their 20+ year old programs "pirated". The right course of action would have been to donate these programs as freeware since they do not generate any profit and the Amiga Software scene is pretty much commercially dead.
Not really... The right course of action would be to make the software available to the public, whether it be free or paid for. Better yet, update it to account for technology advances in recent times.

Stuff like RoadShow is being sold, so why shouldn't other people be able to distribute their own, regardless of if it's free, shareware or fully licensed.

Also, maybe some developers wouldn't like their work being distributed with an illegal OS. Afterall, even if their software is free or open source then that doesn't stop the fact that ApolloOS is illegal due to containing AmigaOS3.9
Old 27 March 2018, 11:32   #66
grond

There is no such thing as "illegal" with regards to copyrights! The rightsowner(s) may or may not permit distribution of their copyrighted material. If they do not and the material is distributed nonetheless, they may take legal actions. Whether they do or do not, is nobody's business but theirs. So far it looks like they are not taking any legal actions. That's all there really is to it.
Old 27 March 2018, 13:10   #67
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
There is no such thing as "illegal" with regards to copyrights! The rightsowner(s) may or may not permit distribution of their copyrighted material. If they do not and the material is distributed nonetheless, they may take legal actions. Whether they do or do not, is nobody's business but theirs. So far it looks like they are not taking any legal actions. That's all there really is to it.
Well there is... Copyright infringement is illegal. This distributing software without the copyright owners permission is technically illegal. Whether or not they take action or not, well that's up to them and if it is even worth their time and money to do this. If there was no such thing as it being "illegal" then how could they take legal action?

Many people probably do not act on it, simply because they do not know that their ageing software is being distributed. You will likely find if you contact every developer that some will say go for it, and others will say no. That will always be the case.

All I was getting at, is regardless of the status of the included software, ApolloOS will never be "legal" in that sense when it contains AmigaOS3.9 which is still currently being sold. It is unlikely that whoever owns the rights for that these days will ever give permission.

I mean, RoadShow is included but only in demo form, as it is still in development and being sold.... Why should that get special treatment over anyone else's IP.

The only way to distribute it "legally" would be to remove all licences AmigaOS elements and distribute it the same way as ClassicWB is, where you need to provide your own installation media for the OS.
Old 28 March 2018, 00:32   #68
kolla
Banned

There is also the question of the content of the kickstart that comes with the core releases.

Look, http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...13384&z=TL3-Hz, there is ram-handler and shell currently maintained by Thomas Richter, bootmenu, console.device,, filesystem and filesystem.resource, scsi.device from OS3.9... all blended with content from the kickstart 3.1 they have licensed. It is for all practical purposes a "homebrew" OS3.9 kickstart with Vampire exec and additions (and what version of exec is the basis of the Vampire exec?). I am a little puzzled as to why they don't use layers.library 45 while at it.
Old 29 March 2018, 08:41   #69
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
You clearly have zero clue how copyright laws work. Even the Apollo team members openly admit that the coffin distribution is illegal, even though they are advocating its use. There are a bunch of software authors (including myself) that are getting ready to go after everyone involved in the creation and distribution of the coffin distribution file and code contained within the Apollo core.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffin.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	57540  
Old 29 March 2018, 13:32   #70
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
You clearly have zero clue how copyright laws work. Even the Apollo team members openly admit that the coffin distribution is illegal, even though they are advocating its use. There are a bunch of software authors (including myself) that are getting ready to go after everyone involved in the creation and distribution of the coffin distribution file and code contained within the Apollo core.

Hey Jim.

Where can I buy your software? I will let you in on a secret; if you want to have control of your content, you have to be the best provider..
Old 29 March 2018, 14:02   #71
E-Penguin
Banana

Not a Coffin user, but I would very much like to buy a license for the vampire enhanced version of your emulation tools.

Please don't abandon amiga, or vampire, development due to the actions of a few.
Old 29 March 2018, 14:41   #72
amiwolf

Quote:
... There are a bunch of software authors (including myself) that are getting ready to go after everyone involved in the creation and distribution of the coffin distribution file and code contained within the Apollo core.
What is the code within the Apollo core that is considered illegal? Who wrote it? Just curious.
Old 29 March 2018, 16:06   #73
Crom

At any rate It's be cool to have a purchasable version of all this for sure! Emplant, PC task, somekind of optimized OS3.X release and all the rest of it! I am quite fond of installing it piece by piece from my OS 3.9 disks and have drives that date back to my A4k days. Thats part of the fun!
Old 29 March 2018, 17:21   #74
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
What is the code within the Apollo core that is considered illegal? Who wrote it? Just curious.
I am currently determining the pieces with Cloanto and others. We will have a complete list shortly.
Old 29 March 2018, 17:24   #75
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Hey Jim.

Where can I buy your software? I will let you in on a secret; if you want to have control of your content, you have to be the best provider..
If I never release any new software, it still makes it illegal to distribute any past versions. Copyrights last the life of the author, plus 75 years.

I will be releasing new versions of FUSION, PCx, and many other popular programs.
Old 29 March 2018, 17:28   #76
roomeo

Quote:
If I never release any new software, it still makes it illegal to distribute any past versions. Copyrights last the life of the author, plus 75 years.

I will be releasing new versions of FUSION, PCx, and many other popular programs.
not questioning your copyrights.

im just saying..
Old 29 March 2018, 17:54   #77
Allen1

Bloody hell man you must be a real buzz at parties!
I have never used your stuff nor do I personally know anyone who has so please get a life and be pleased that a few Amiga fans have kept your whatever alive.

I don't post all that much but seriously man you are a real killer of joy with your chasing of products after all these years, do you think that anyone is going to buy your stuff or are you just being a prick?
Old 29 March 2018, 18:09   #78
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
do you think that anyone is going to buy your stuff or are you just being a prick?
Attacking anyone at EAB like that is clearly against the rules, you shouldn't do that, cool your jets a bit.

The guy made some commercial software and he is entitled to do whatever he wants with it, period.
If he wants to be like that about it to those who are possible customers of his instead of the people that allegedly wronged him, that is also his choice, wouldn't be the first time. But his claims to it and what is legal/illegal/what others can/cannot do with it, are 100% justified.

He can "chase" after his products for as long as he wants. Evidently from his posts, til his very own death

I for one have reached for the proverbial popcorn to watch all this unfold. It would be an interesting turn of events if the Apollo core is deemed illegal because of contained code (first I hear of this ever).

Last edited by Amiga1992; 29 March 2018 at 18:33.
Old 29 March 2018, 18:26   #79
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I am shocked

EDIT:Well, after post removal my reason for shocking is now invisible

Last edited by Lord Aga; 29 March 2018 at 18:34.
Old 29 March 2018, 18:56   #80
nexus

wow amazing how people are attacking the owners of the software in question just because they are pissed they cant use it anymore

like getting mad at the cable company for cutting off your free cable you had installed illegally