English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2013, 12:47   #1
chicknchock

Trouble shooting left mouse button.

Hi all.
I am trying to get my old amiga 500 to work, it seems the left click is not responding in port 1, yet the cursor moves...

I have tried replacing both CIA chips and also tried another mouse but I'm not having much luck. Could someone help me get my old baby running again.

Old 28 September 2013, 12:56   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknchock View Post
Hi all.
I am trying to get my old amiga 500 to work, it seems the left click is not responding in port 1, yet the cursor moves...

I have tried replacing both CIA chips and also tried another mouse but I'm not having much luck. Could someone help me get my old baby running again.
Have you tried reseating all chips. I find nearly all odd problems are solved this way.
Also check the socket, I have come across a few mobo's where the pin has been snapped off.
Old 28 September 2013, 13:14   #3
chicknchock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Have you tried reseating all chips. I find nearly all odd problems are solved this way.
Also check the socket, I have come across a few mobo's where the pin has been snapped off.
Hi thanks for your reply, yes I have reseated all the chips and also hoovered the board. I have checked both port pins and they seem fine. I guess next thing is to check dry joints on port 1, could this be an issue?

Old 01 October 2013, 11:12   #4
chicknchock

HI All, i have checked for dry joints in and around the mouse area and they have all be touched up.. but still no left mouse button could anyone else offer guidance?

Old 01 October 2013, 11:18   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Try to load WorkBench, place cursor on something and press Amiga+Left Alt.
Old 11 October 2013, 19:30   #6
chicknchock

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Try to load WorkBench, place cursor on something and press Amiga+Left Alt.
Hi thanks for that, yes i can do this to emulate a mouse click, still no joy with the mouse thou, is it possible i have two faulty mice? very bizarre!

are there any other things it could be like a capacitor or something?

Old 11 October 2013, 23:40   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Do you have a joystick? Connecting that to the port and pressing fire is the same as left click on a mouse.
Old 12 October 2013, 13:12   #8
chicknchock

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Do you have a joystick? Connecting that to the port and pressing fire is the same as left click on a mouse.
Hi, yes i have a joystick. when plugged into port 2; playing games is perfect, it fires and works perfectly.

when plugged into port 1 and fire on joystick is pressed nothing happens...

note the mouse actually moves in port 1, just wont click

Old 12 October 2013, 16:53   #9
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

did you check actual continuity between the port and cia pin?
Old 11 February 2017, 22:39   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, I need some help. I have no response from mouse button from my A600. I connected other 2 controllers and its not working. LEFT AMIGA+ALT works on Workebench. Controller works all directions, mouse moves, 2nd button works, but button 1 does not.

I found out where are the 2 cia chips on it, what can I do from here? I have zero skills with a iron solder, I usually ask friends to do anything related to this, but I do have a multimeter.
Old 11 February 2017, 23:09   #11
Daedalus

Have you tried the other port? No good for games, but there's a utility for swapping the mouse port over that will let you use Workbench.

As for troubleshooting, U7 is the odd CIA and handles both ports' fire buttons / left mouse buttons. Port 0 is on pin 10 and port 1 is on pin 11. Check the continuity from pin 6 on the mouse port to pin 10 on U7 to make sure the circuit is actually there. If the continuity is good, measure the voltage at that pin when the machine is on. It should be +5V when no button is pressed and 0V when the fire / left mouse button is pressed. Be very careful that you don't short out anything with the probes!

On PLCC chips like the CIAs, the pins are counted anti-clockwise, starting in the middle of the side with the bevelled edge, usually marked with a dot. Pin 10 is the 4th pin on the next side to the left of the side with pin 1 on it.
Old 11 February 2017, 23:28   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have some friends at home tonight (we were planning using the Amiga for a gaming session, oh well), so I won't do it tonight, but I'll try all of this tomorrow.

I must said I am kinda scared of doing this stuff with the machine on, even more when you say I can short stuff since I am really not all that skillfull on this kind of thing.

And I barely use workbench, my use for it is mostly for gaming really (and some progamming lately too) . The other port is fine.

But thank you a lot for the suggestions, I'll see what I manage to do and post some news here tomorrow
Old 15 February 2017, 23:45   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, just made the suggested tests (I had to buy a new battery to my multimeter, that's why it took longer than "try all of this tomorrow" ) and then figured out the problem.

The 6th pin is very wobbly on the connector. When I tested continuity, it only worked if I gave the pin a gently upward push from below it.

I tried with the mouse connected again, but then pushed the DB9 plug upward a little... and I get response from the mouse button again. I drop the plug, mouse button stops work.

Now I believe I have to replace the whole connector? Or is there some way to "replace" or tight this pin back to its place ?

Edit: If there's no way to just fix the pin, I believe I could change the whole connector by one of those: http://www.soldafria.com.br/conector...ca-p-1709.html ?
Old 16 February 2017, 09:50   #14
Daedalus

If the pin is just loose, you might get away with just resoldering that pin and fixing it in place with hot glue or similar for added support. Failing that, the part you linked to looks like it's the right one, just double-check the dimensions to be sure.
Old 16 February 2017, 10:15   #15
supaduper

Do as Daedalus says and just resolder that pin, but if you need to replace the connector get a good technician to do it as those need good tools like a powered solder sucker to remove them properly.
At least its nothing serious, good luck
Old 16 February 2017, 18:35   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't touch this board with a solder iron, the most I do is test stuff with a multimeter. I don't mind soldering other stuff, but I am just too afraid to screw up things with the Amiga, my soldering skills are really terrible

I have 2 friends who are electronic technicians, one of them works in a very well equipped laboratory and he has the proper skills to do stuff like this.

Thank you guys, I am really extremely grateful to this community