PUAE maintainer

PUAE 2.3.3 beta series

PUAE 2.3.3 beta series:
http://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE

* i don't supply binaries for any os
* this version works for me
> macosx 10.6.7 on macbook pro i7 & imac
* for bug reports "Toni Wilen's rules" apply; "not working is not a bug report"
* don't forget to report bugs so that i can fix them (attach your config file and steps to reproduce the bug)

cheers,
Old 21 June 2011, 17:42   #2
chiark
Needs a life

Thanks for your passion and commitment to this Mustafa, it's awesome that you're pushing this on.

Does that mean 2.3.2 is now obsolete and we should report against 2.3.3?

It would be good to have a final 'signed off' version of one of the 2.3 series that is the stable base, if you see what I mean...

2.3.3 build for OSX available now

Last edited by chiark; 21 June 2011 at 18:15.
Old 22 June 2011, 19:20   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Save states now work which is a massive step forward! Thanks guys.
Old 23 June 2011, 01:23   #4
Vairn
The Grim-Button

cool, I shall see if i can make an ubuntu exe later
Old 23 June 2011, 19:56   #5
nexusle
Banned

As Info:

http://mac.github.com
Old 23 June 2011, 20:40   #6
AriX

Unfortunately PUAE doesn't seem to compile for me. I'm using the latest PUAE 2.3.3, on a Core i7 MacBook Pro.

It seems that the only problem is that Picasso96 is not linking correctly. I get the same result no matter what configure flags I use to build, or the build_macosx scripts. I can't quite identify the problem. This happens despite the fact that picasso96.c successfully compiles to picasso96.o and is included in the linker command.

Code:
gcc -O2 -ffast-math -msse3 -pipe  -mdynamic-no-pic -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math   -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-format -W -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strength-reduce -DREGPARAM="__attribute__((regparm(3)))"  -m32 -DNO_MAIN_IN_MAIN_C    -m32 -march=pentium2  -m32 -o uae  main.o newcpu.o memory.o rommgr.o custom.o serial.o dongle.o cia.o blitter.o autoconf.o traps.o keybuf.o expansion.o inputrecord.o diskutil.o zfile.o zfile_archive.o cfgfile.o picasso96.o inputdevice.o gfxutil.o audio.o sinctable.o statusline.o drawing.o consolehook.o native2amiga.o disk.o crc32.o savestate.o arcadia.o cdtv.o cd32_fmv.o uaeexe.o uaelib.o uaeresource.o uaeserial.o fdi2raw.o hotkeys.o amax.o ar.o driveclick.o enforcer.o misc.o a2065.o gayle.o ncr_scsi.o missing.o readcpu.o aros.rom.o hrtmon.rom.o md-i386-gcc/libmachdep.a jd-none/libjoydep.a sd-none/libsnddep.a gfx-x11/libgfxdep.a gui-cocoa/libguidep.a keymap/libkeymap.a archivers/dms/libdms.a archivers/zip/libzip.a caps/libcaps.a blitfunc.o blittable.o cpustbl.o cpudefs.o libcpuemu.a writelog.o filesys.o fsdb.o fsusage.o hardfile.o filesys_unix.o fsdb_unix.o hardfile_unix.o bsdsocket-posix-new.o bsdsocket.o scsi-none.o debug.o identify.o  td-posix/libthreaddep.a od-macosx/libosdep.a -framework Cocoa  -L/usr/X11/lib -R/usr/X11/lib  -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11     -ldl -lz  -lm -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lstdc++  
Undefined symbols:
  "_picasso96_state", referenced from:
      _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr in inputdevice.o
      _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
     (maybe you meant: _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_InitPicasso96", referenced from:
      _drawing_init in drawing.o
  "_picasso_handle_vsync", referenced from:
      _hsync_handler in custom.o
  "_picasso_vidinfo", referenced from:
      _picasso_vidinfo$non_lazy_ptr in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
     (maybe you meant: _picasso_vidinfo$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_picasso_refresh", referenced from:
      _vsync_handle_redraw in drawing.o
  "_p96_rgbx16", referenced from:
      _p96_rgbx16$non_lazy_ptr in gfxutil.o
     (maybe you meant: _p96_rgbx16$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_picasso_demux", referenced from:
      _uaelib_demux in uaelib.o
  "_restore_p96_finish", referenced from:
      _savestate_restore_finish in savestate.o
  "_have_sound", referenced from:
      _have_sound$non_lazy_ptr in audio.o
     (maybe you meant: _have_sound$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_DisplayModes", referenced from:
      _DisplayModes$non_lazy_ptr in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
     (maybe you meant: _DisplayModes$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_init_hz_p96", referenced from:
      _init_hz_fullinit in custom.o
  "_clear_sound_buffers", referenced from:
      _check_prefs_changed_audio in audio.o
      _audio_hsync in audio.o
  "_picasso96_alloc", referenced from:
      _filesys_init_storeinfo in filesys.o
  "_config_filename", referenced from:
      _config_filename$non_lazy_ptr in libguidep.a(cocoaui.o)
     (maybe you meant: _config_filename$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_handle_input_event", referenced from:
      _handle_events in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
  "_setmaintitle", referenced from:
      _refreshtitle in misc.o
  "_picasso_reset", referenced from:
      _reset_all_systems in main.o
      _custom_reset in custom.o
  "_have_done_picasso", referenced from:
      _have_done_picasso$non_lazy_ptr in libcpuemu.a(compemu_support.o)
     (maybe you meant: _have_done_picasso$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_gfxmem_bank", referenced from:
      _gfxmem_bank$non_lazy_ptr in expansion.o
     (maybe you meant: _gfxmem_bank$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_picasso_handle_hsync", referenced from:
      _hsync_handler in custom.o
  "_picasso_enablescreen", referenced from:
      _vsync_handle_redraw in drawing.o
      _check_prefs_changed_gfx in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [uae] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Thanks!

Old 23 June 2011, 20:46   #7
nexusle
Banned

WOW!!!

Now Picasso96 works with the latest build of PUAE from @chiark!!
Old 23 June 2011, 21:32   #8
nexusle
Banned

@GnoStiC

First: anymore, Thanks for the good work.

Now one question: When will be com CDROM image support to PUAE?
Old 24 June 2011, 08:56   #9
chiark
Needs a life

AriX: have you got SDL installed, and the full xcode toolset? I'm using xcode 4 to build, but it works fine with 3, too. I assume you've done a git clone of the whole repository...

Nexusle: good, isn't it? Really impressed! Huge,huge thanks to GnoStiC for not losing faith in this effort!

As for CD-ROM image, I've had a quick look through the source and I can't see much about ISO or 9660 support other than in filesystem_unix.c, so I suppose it's non trivial. That's probably wrong tho!
Old 24 June 2011, 09:20   #10
Skope
Protracker

Thanx a million to GnoStiC for rocking PUAE. And a million more to Chiark for supplying high quality OSX builds.

You too keep on making my day.
Old 24 June 2011, 18:27   #11
AriX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
AriX: have you got SDL installed, and the full xcode toolset? I'm using xcode 4 to build, but it works fine with 3, too. I assume you've done a git clone of the whole repository...
I don't quite understand how you would build with Xcode - there's no Xcode project anywhere. Is there a way to import a Makefile into Xcode or something?

In any case, I was just compiling it from the shell, and I do have SDL installed and the full Xcode (I have both 3 and 4). It comes very close to compiling, but it cannot link properly. E-UAE compiles fine.

Old 24 June 2011, 18:30   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
As for CD-ROM image, I've had a quick look through the source and I can't see much about ISO or 9660 support other than in filesystem_unix.c, so I suppose it's non trivial. That's probably wrong tho!
Most of it is in blkdev_cdimage.c. It does not need to do any ISO-9660 stuff because it is handled by CD filesystem (CD32/CDTV rom built-in, or whatever CDFS installed if WB setup)
Old 25 June 2011, 02:21   #13
smuj

Yes, thanks GnoStiC!

Little build error on Arch 64bit (built as 32bit)

Code:
a2091.c:1371:4: error: ‘for’ loop initial declarations are only allowed in C99 mode
a2091.c:1371:4: note: use option -std=c99 or -std=gnu99 to compile your code
make[3]: *** [a2091.o] Error 1
Fixed by adding -std=gnu99 to the export CC and CXX lines in this PKGBUILD just so you know. You may be able to fix that in your build scripts, not sure how though.

I've been playing around with WinUAE (via Wine) a bit so now know what PUAE is trying to be. WinUAE grabs the mouse automatically as soon as you press start. Is that supposed to happen on Linux? It doesn't and as far as I can tell there's no way to grab the mouse in either the GTK or Qt UIs.

If I could make one request it would be for the Qt UI on Linux to be fully functional, not knowing enough to help I'll shut up.

Thanks.
Old 27 June 2011, 12:55   #14
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriX View Post
I don't quite understand how you would build with Xcode - there's no Xcode project anywhere. Is there a way to import a Makefile into Xcode or something?

In any case, I was just compiling it from the shell, and I do have SDL installed and the full Xcode (I have both 3 and 4). It comes very close to compiling, but it cannot link properly. E-UAE compiles fine.
the build tools come from xcode, hence using the build_macos_xcode.sh script....

Have a look through the build script and try executing the commands individually to check your build environment isn't throwing up some odd errors that you don't see?

@Toni, thanks for that, I'll have a word with GnoStiC. The blkdev stuff is not currently being included in the package, so I'll ask him if it can be: naturally there'd be an interface needed too...

Last edited by chiark; 27 June 2011 at 13:01.
Old 27 June 2011, 21:14   #15
AriX

Quote:
the build tools come from xcode, hence using the build_macos_xcode.sh script....

Have a look through the build script and try executing the commands individually to check your build environment isn't throwing up some odd errors that you don't see?
Right, but build_macos_cocoa.sh and build_macos_qt.sh also use Xcode build tools, so I was a bit confused. Anyway, I'll try to see if I can fix anything by working on the configuration and my build environment.

Old 28 June 2011, 09:38   #16
chiark
Needs a life

Actually, I always use the build_macos_cocoa.sh script to build - sorry for missing that rather vital piece of information out!
Old 30 June 2011, 14:51   #17
pipein

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriX View Post
Right, but build_macos_cocoa.sh and build_macos_qt.sh also use Xcode build tools, so I was a bit confused. Anyway, I'll try to see if I can fix anything by working on the configuration and my build environment.
In my case I found that I had to put the SDL Framework in /Library/Frameworks (not /System/Library/Frameworks ) otherwise the PUAE ./configure process didn't find SDL. When it can't find SDL you end up with various fallback options in your makefiles such as:
  • Graphics (gfx-x11 instead of gfx-sdl);
  • Joystick (jd-none instead of jd-sdl);
  • Sound (sd-none instead of sd-sdl);
  • Threads (td-posix instead of td-sdl);
  • a host of other things that cascade on from these options;
regardless of what was passed to ./configure via the build_macos_cocoa.sh script.

If you look closely at the output you posted previously (regarding Undefined Symbols) you'll notice that the line starting with gcc shows the jd-none, sd-none, gfx-x11, and td-posix options instead of the SDL options, which suggests to me that the configure process didn't find the SDL Framework.

Code:

gcc -O2 -ffast-math -msse3 -pipe  -mdynamic-no-pic -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math   -Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-format -W -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -fno-strength-reduce -DREGPARAM="__attribute__((regparm(3)))"  -m32 -DNO_MAIN_IN_MAIN_C    -m32 -march=pentium2  -m32 -o uae  main.o newcpu.o memory.o rommgr.o custom.o serial.o dongle.o cia.o blitter.o autoconf.o traps.o keybuf.o expansion.o inputrecord.o diskutil.o zfile.o zfile_archive.o cfgfile.o picasso96.o inputdevice.o gfxutil.o audio.o sinctable.o statusline.o drawing.o consolehook.o native2amiga.o disk.o crc32.o savestate.o arcadia.o cdtv.o cd32_fmv.o uaeexe.o uaelib.o uaeresource.o uaeserial.o fdi2raw.o hotkeys.o amax.o ar.o driveclick.o enforcer.o misc.o a2065.o gayle.o ncr_scsi.o missing.o readcpu.o aros.rom.o hrtmon.rom.o md-i386-gcc/libmachdep.a jd-none/libjoydep.a sd-none/libsnddep.a gfx-x11/libgfxdep.a gui-cocoa/libguidep.a keymap/libkeymap.a archivers/dms/libdms.a archivers/zip/libzip.a caps/libcaps.a blitfunc.o blittable.o cpustbl.o cpudefs.o libcpuemu.a writelog.o filesys.o fsdb.o fsusage.o hardfile.o filesys_unix.o fsdb_unix.o hardfile_unix.o bsdsocket-posix-new.o bsdsocket.o scsi-none.o debug.o identify.o  td-posix/libthreaddep.a od-macosx/libosdep.a -framework Cocoa  -L/usr/X11/lib -R/usr/X11/lib  -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11     -ldl -lz  -lm -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lstdc++  
Undefined symbols:
  "_picasso96_state", referenced from:
      _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr in inputdevice.o
      _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr in libgfxdep.a(xwin.o)
     (maybe you meant: _picasso96_state$non_lazy_ptr)
  "_InitPicasso96", referenced from:
      _drawing_init in drawing.o
  "_picasso_handle_vsync", referenced from:
I'd start looking in that direction before looking too hard at the consequential symptoms (if this is the case).

Cheers.

Old 30 June 2011, 15:15   #18
chiark
Needs a life

That's a good call, pipein - very good call - and a great catch on the options passed... I didn't notice that. I think you're absolutely right that SDL has not been found.

uae_LDADD gets tacked on during the linking, and here's the content of mine in my Makefile (in src):
Code:
uae_LDADD = md-i386-gcc/libmachdep.a jd-sdl/libjoydep.a \
        sd-sdl/libsnddep.a gfx-sdl/libgfxdep.a \
        gui-cocoa/libguidep.a keymap/libkeymap.a \
        archivers/dms/libdms.a archivers/zip/libzip.a caps/libcaps.a \
        blitfunc.o blittable.o cpustbl.o cpudefs.o libcpuemu.a \
        writelog.$(OBJEXT) filesys.$(OBJEXT) fsdb.$(OBJEXT) fsusage.$(OBJEXT) hardfile.$(OBJEXT) filesys_unix.$(OBJEXT) fsdb_unix.$(OBJEXT) hardfile_unix.$(OBJEXT) bsdsocket-posix-new.$(OBJEXT) bsdsocket.$(OBJEXT) scsi-none.$(OBJEXT)  \
        debug.$(OBJEXT) identify.$(OBJEXT)  td-sdl/libthreaddep.a \
        od-macosx/libosdep.a -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL   -framework Cocoa -framework SDL -lobjc -ldl -lz  -lm
Check config.log in your PUAE directory. You'll probably see checking for SDL framework, followed by a gcc line, and then result=...

If it's 'no', you've got a problem with SDL
Old 13 July 2011, 08:58   #19
GnoStiC
PUAE maintainer

thanks

cd support was already there but not enabled..
you need to have scsi enabled configuration and ..
refer:
https://github.com/GnoStiC/PUAE/blob.../docs/scsi.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
@GnoStiC

First: anymore, Thanks for the good work.

Now one question: When will be com CDROM image support to PUAE?
btw,
please note that i don't/can't follow the forum as much as i like, so if you have a bug report, post it here and try to mail me too. (for some reason i don't get new mails if someone posts here)

please also note that i'm a full time programmer + a mentalist (stage and tv shows (derren brown's kinda stuff)) + have many toys to play with (ie aurdino, 4d oleds, microtouch, inpulse watch (metawatch preordered), etc) so there may be delays between git pushes..

cheers,

Last edited by TCD; 13 July 2011 at 09:57.
Old 16 July 2011, 15:29   #20
chiark
Needs a life

Just noticed the new pushes to git - any updates on what has changed?