English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 18 June 2002, 16:56   #1
Konrad

Question Searching for Strider WITHOUT graphic glitches

I got a version of strider, but it has too many errors. So I searched the net for another version, but I wasn't successful.

Has someone a fully working copy of this game, and is willing to post it in the zone or send it to me ?

Thanks
Old 19 June 2002, 02:54   #2
Amiga1992

Yeah, I wonder why they always blame the image and not the emulator! It's damned HARD to make a bad image, in most cases images are not to be blamed.

Unless you tried it out on a real Amiga. Which I think you didn´t.
Old 19 June 2002, 19:29   #3
Konrad

I DID try it on my Amiga. And it has the same graphic glitches.
Parallel to this I tried it with WinUAE 08.21.r4 and 08.14.r3.
I also tried WinFELLOW a minute ago.

Besides: I use WinUAE and WinFELLOW since the first versions came out. I am new to this forum but I'm already many years in the amiga community. It was my first computer. Believe me, after all these years I know how emulator faults and REAL graphic glitches from the Amiga look like.

So please take a look at the picture. I hope the someone will be willing to help me out. I don't want to sound rude or something. If I do, the I'm sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strider_errors.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2771  
Old 20 June 2002, 04:15   #4
Amiga1992

I didn't mean to sound rude myself, I am very sorry.

It would help if you gave us your Amiga's configuration, and which crack you have.

Looks to me like a chipset or kickstart incompatibility problem, but it might be a shoddy crack.
Old 20 June 2002, 09:28   #5
Konrad

Hey, thanks for your quick answer.
At the beginning you have a trilogy traner. With F1 and F2 you can choose unlimited lives and energy. After this a sreen from Vision factory comes up.
So, seems to me that the game has been cracked by Vision Factory and trained by Trilogy.

I have an Amiga 4000,16Mb,CVision3D.I rekicked it with a Kickstart 1.3. Didn't have any problems with that until now. I have to do this because my A500 isn't connected at the moment.
Old 20 June 2002, 10:53   #6
Walker

I tried the same crack and got the same gfx errors. Looks like we need another version of this game....
Old 20 June 2002, 12:38   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Strider not working on A4000

Chances are if it doesn't work on your A4000 it's because of a combination of missing blitter waits and your A4000's speed and caches.

If a game doesn't work properly, it's best to search for the game on the WHDLoad or JST sites as the readme's often explain what was fixed in the game. From the JST fix (I can't believe there is no WHDLoad version - I might fix this problem soon!) Ralf says that there were missing blitter waits, which is almost certainly why the graphics look all screwed up like that.
Old 20 June 2002, 12:47   #8
Konrad

Yeah, that surely is right. But I had the same Problems with WinUAE and WinFellow. I have multiple configs, also one for an AMIGA 500, and it still has these graphic problems.
Old 20 June 2002, 14:46   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE's blitter emulation isn't 100% correct. Other DMA channels do not steal blitter cycles and CPU isn't slowed down if blitter is not in "nasty"-mode.

I am currently re-writing blitter emulation. Copper, sprite and bitplane DMA are now slowing down blitter correctly, but slowing down CPU correctly isn't easy (and it will cause huge emulator slow down too..) I added some approximate delays that helps some programs, for example Enigma-demo's text-screens. (I know this is totally stupid fix but...)
Old 20 June 2002, 15:35   #10
Codetapper

Post Strider bugs fixed

I've made a WHDLoad version of Strider now - I found 6 blitter waits missing along with empty loops (which cause the keyboard to not work and the music/samples to play too quickly) so once I get the icons sorted out (Akira: Feel free to make me some if you want!) I'll upload it here...
Old 20 June 2002, 16:18   #11
Walker

Excellent work mate!

* loading screenshot gun *
Old 20 June 2002, 17:05   #12
Konrad

Eek

@Codetapper
Now, that is fast. Seems so easy to write a port for WHDLoad when I read your posts, but I doubt it ;-). Excellent. Will it work with the cracked strider version I described above ?
Old 20 June 2002, 21:14   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Copper, sprite and bitplane DMA are now slowing down blitter correctly, but slowing down CPU correctly isn't easy
I'd believe this without having doubts, but will this also imply correct CPU slowdowns, i. e. correct speed with some games?
(For example, Shinobi plays about 10-15% too fast. To anyone else: if you doubt what I'm stating, please test it on a REAL Amiga [A500 is best choice] before contradicting.)
Old 21 June 2002, 02:45   #14
Codetapper

Question What version do you have?

Quote:
Originally posted by MartinMerten
@Codetapper
Now, that is fast. Seems so easy to write a port for WHDLoad when I read your posts, but I doubt it ;-). Excellent. Will it work with the cracked strider version I described above ?
I have one version of Strider, cracked by Vision Factory and with a trainer on the bootblock. Is this the only version out? The original is MFM and vision factory packed it back to files. I will have a look - are there any more cracks out there of this game?
Old 21 June 2002, 13:15   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

TOSEC has several:
Strider (1989)(U. S. Gold)[cr VF]
Strider (1989)(U. S. Gold)[cr VF][a]
Strider (1989)(U. S. Gold)[cr VF][t +2 Trilogy]
Strider (1989)(U. S. Gold)[cr VF][t +2 Trilogy][a]
Strider (1989)(U. S. Gold)[cr VF][t +3 DDC]

plus I have an untrained alt of the VF crack that is non-TOSEC (same gfx glitches on it...)
Old 22 June 2002, 04:19   #16
Amiga1992

Codetapper strikes again! Don't you love this board, MartinMerten?

Dunno if you got my mail Codey, so I'll repeat my words: midterm break is nigh so i'll sit my arse then and do lots of icons

Cheers!
Old 22 June 2002, 13:19   #17
Konrad

Big grin

You are right. I love this board and appreciate the work of you all. :tup: So much work just for one game. I LOVE the amiga community
Old 23 June 2002, 00:26   #18
Codetapper

Post Strider WHDLoad in the zone

OK lads, Strider is in the zone. Hopefully will work on all Amiga's...

I haven't supported the crack this time as it was going to be quite a messy job - would need a subdir for files, more complex installer script, the crack seems to be a pre-release or at least a different version to the 2 originals I was sent... Addresses all through the game are different and add to the fact that there are about 4-5 TOSEC versions and I honestly can't be bothered. If it was on BTTR I would consider it but US Gold haven't given permission for their games to go up afaik...

However the full game is in the Zone so have a leech while you can get it!
Old 23 June 2002, 05:02   #19
Amiga1992

And I just made a nice icon for it, which I just sent to Codetapper

As soon as he gets it and updates the package, I'll post it here so you download it.
Old 23 June 2002, 19:23   #20
Konrad

Thumbs up

Hey wow, thanks for your work. Now I really can enjoy this game again. I wish I would be so talented to make HDInstalls on my own.

Hoy did you learn that codetapper ? Are there any tutorials ? Is it necessary to have knowledge in assembler programming ?