English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 February 2014, 12:09   #1
jman

Preventative capacitors replacement

Hello,

today I was looking at my Amiga collection.
For as good as I can keep them, we're still talking about +20 years hardware.

The various circuit boards in there looks ok to me (although I don't have a really expert eye), and the capacitors doesn't look "about to explode" or damaged, examples of suspect capacitors: this and this.

I was wondering if a preventive capacitors replacement can be considered a waste of good money (because it won't be cheap) or a future proof investment.

I don't use my Amiga hardware very often, so probably the components are not under constant stress.

Opinions?

Thank you
Old 09 February 2014, 14:31   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
Hello,

today I was looking at my Amiga collection.
For as good as I can keep them, we're still talking about +20 years hardware.

The various circuit boards in there looks ok to me (although I don't have a really expert eye), and the capacitors doesn't look "about to explode" or damaged, examples of suspect capacitors: this and this.

I was wondering if a preventive capacitors replacement can be considered a waste of good money (because it won't be cheap) or a future proof investment.

I don't use my Amiga hardware very often, so probably the components are not under constant stress.

Opinions?

Thank you
If it isnt broke dont fix it.
If they look fine and there is no physical signs of leakage then leave it.
If your still worried, simply heat up each leg of the SMD caps and if they smell, then its best to get them replaced.

Not sure, you will get the radial caps to vent. Only time I have seen vented is in CD32's, as Commodore put caps in wrong way around.
Old 09 February 2014, 14:42   #3
mark_k

Not that I'm a great expert, but I'd agree with only fixing something if it's not working. General tips: store hardware in a cool(ish) dry place. Don't store in a loft/attic/garage which can have large temperature variations and be damp.

Try to power on hardware every year or so, maybe leave it turned on for 24 hours. That could help prolong the life of electrolytic capacitors I think.
Old 09 February 2014, 15:44   #4
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
If it isnt broke dont fix it.
If your still worried, simply heat up each leg of the SMD caps and if they smell, then its best to get them replaced.
The dreaded "rotten fish" smell :-)

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye using it from time to time.
Old 09 February 2014, 22:11   #5
bebek

In first place check 10uF (3 caps ) and 47uF caps. They first to leak , if their legs or components around it are dull, not shinning, it is time to let them go , all of them.
Old 17 February 2014, 18:40   #6
DarrenHD

The caps in my machines are all still ok, except maybe the CD32 (maybe they were installed wrong), but my A4000's are all ok. They are turned on relatively frequently for short periods of time but never left on for long periods of time.

AmigaKit does offer a cap replacement service, you send the motherboard to them they will replace them all. If it ever comes to it I will just have them do it for me. Maybe I will send them the CD32.
Old 17 February 2014, 18:43   #7
kipper2k

the only one that needs a pre-emptive strike so to speak is the A500+ where you must remove the battery to prevent the certain corrosion that would follow.
Old 18 February 2014, 09:54   #8
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
the only one that needs a pre-emptive strike so to speak is the A500+ where you must remove the battery to prevent the certain corrosion that would follow.
And A2000, 3000 & 4000 =)
Old 24 July 2014, 23:18   #9
vroom6sri

This was a good read. I have just stripped out the motherboard from my a1200 to give it a visual inspection with my untrained-eye and all seems to be well. The components all look new and relatively shiny and there was no noticeable bulging of capacitors or such like. Shame it's not a little easier to check but the whole process only took about 30mins so perhaps I'll make it an annual check.
Old 25 July 2014, 13:11   #10
Hewitson

I wouldn't replace caps unless they are causing a fault. Replacing them causes a lot of unnecessary wear on holes and pads, they cannot survive an unlimited amount of resoldering.