English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 July 2017, 15:24   #1
iddqd

What's the deal with broadcast monitors?

I know e.g. Sony broadcast monitors are popular among retro-gamers, due to "good/large scanlines", but I wonder what else they "offer". Why are they so big and heavy?

I've so far seen they support many different inputs, and have a lot of control knobs, but is that it?

Is the picture quality better?

Also, looks like they might produce a lot of heat, considering some of them look to have passive cooling?
Old 13 July 2017, 16:30   #2
nobody

They have higher resolution than your normal CRT screen which is usually 300 vertical lines. These monitors have 600+ lines.
Old 13 July 2017, 16:44   #3
spiff
Oh noes!

They are possible to calibrate to a correct gamma curve, and generally have good contrast. Ie they won't blow out whites, sacrifice black levels and the R G B ratios are stable in relation to each other on different levels.

Alignment also in general is better than most arcade CRTs and edges sharper.
Old 13 July 2017, 17:11   #4
donnie

If you want crt, which you would, since its how these systems where meant to be played. You need an monitor that accepts rgb.

in europe you can buy any standard 50hz crt with rgb-scart.

In america they they don't have an rgb-scart standard for their consumer crt. If you want rgb from your consoles in the us, amiga monitors and pvms are the only option.

the second best is to get some sort of component-rgb converter and hook it up to a late gen "ed"-crt. But like many late gen crt models in europe(like those crappy 100hz ones) they have digtial processing of the image and crap.

Beyond that. They are just very high quality crts, made for professionals. Without any digital after processing of the image.

Last edited by donnie; 13 July 2017 at 17:24.
Old 14 July 2017, 11:59   #5
idrougge

They're usually big and heavy because they use Trinitron tubes (if it's a PVM or BVM), made to be stacked on top of each other or with other equipment on top, and made to run non-stop in broadcast studios, which puts higher demands on heat dissipation.

For better linearity, they also use deeper tubes than the shallow tubes of TVs or Amiga monitors.
Old 14 July 2017, 17:21   #6
iddqd

Cool, thanks for replies. I just find they look way cooler than the plastic TVs / monitors I've seen.

Sadly, looks like one really should live in US or UK to buy one.
Old 15 July 2017, 12:26   #7
Lum

Good CRTs give old games a look truly unequaled by screenshots and trailers on modern monitors.

If you haven't seen Rocket Knight Adventures, more impressive yet Xexex, or anything like that in their native RGB environment, it's impossible to describe.
Old 15 July 2017, 15:14   #8
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
Cool, thanks for replies. I just find they look way cooler than the plastic TVs / monitors I've seen.

Sadly, looks like one really should live in US or UK to buy one.
Why?
Old 15 July 2017, 16:39   #9
donnie

how good is the amiga monitor compared to say an 50hz sony trinitron?
Old 15 July 2017, 19:12   #10
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Why?
Well, never seen anyone for sale in Scandinavia, but plenty on ebay.co.uk, or ebay.com (some even for reasonable prices). Do you know of anywhere else to buy these?
Old 15 July 2017, 19:25   #11
kgc210

The beauty of broadcast monitors is the picture quality. They tend to have a lot higher dot pitch than a normal CRT TV. Some can also do over 1080P Height wise although not Width wise as the are 4:3 ratio.

Also some such as the NEC XM29 Plus (Which is what I have) is a true TriSync Monitor, so you can plug in a 15, 24 or 31khz video input and it just gets on with it. I can quite happily go from Say 15khz Amiga/MegaDrive to 24khz MAME/X68000/NeoGeo to 31khz Dreamcast/PC with out any converters.

The reason they are heavy is the fact they have a huge chunk of glass in them and wire coils for the beam and transformers. My 29" NEC is 55kg!
Regarding heat, some such as mine has twin fans in them, but most are fine passive.

They also have a nice feature for low res videos especially old DIVX / XVID's etc is that they almost remove the blockynes of the image. Hard to describe without you seeing it.
Old 16 July 2017, 00:25   #12
rare_j
Zone Friend

Never heard of that nec monitor before, but it looks nice. 29 is an excellent size.
I had a normal 21 trinitron tv for many years, eventually it went very soft for a while, then broke down altogether.
People go nuts over bvm's and pvm's, tiny 14 inch ones even. I'm sure the picture quality is a bit better than a normal rgb tv, if you were to examine it, but when you're actually really enjoying playing a game, does a bit better pq really matter that much?
Old 16 July 2017, 01:52   #13
lantus360

they offer : amazing quality image. some of the best you will ever see. many different input formats , rgb, svideo, composite, the ability to output to those video formats as well
Old 16 July 2017, 14:35   #14
iddqd

Quote:
Never heard of that nec monitor before, but it looks nice. 29 is an excellent size.
http://www.bluegamer.net/nec-xm29-pl...l-of-monitors/

...although I don't see the NEC XM29 in this list of commodore/retrogame monitors:
Appiah's comprehensive 15KHz monitors list of caveat emptor
Old 16 July 2017, 14:56   #15
idrougge

Quote:
Well, never seen anyone for sale in Scandinavia, but plenty on ebay.co.uk, or ebay.com (some even for reasonable prices). Do you know of anywhere else to buy these?
They're usually sold on Tradera, Blocket or forums for video production.
Old 17 July 2017, 19:58   #16
iddqd

Also, some seem to have a parallel port connection, or similar, for computer. I wonder what that might be for. Auto-calibration?
Old 17 July 2017, 20:05   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Also, some seem to have a parallel port connection, or similar, for computer. I wonder what that might be for. Auto-calibration?
I thought that was for control of some kind of external devices. But not sure.
This photo clearly shows a serial port with "remote" written as description:

Old 17 July 2017, 20:20   #18
iddqd

Also, how popular are these among Amiga / C64 people? Or do most people prefer the trusty 1084S?

I'll attach an image of the connector I had in mind, from a Sony monitor apparently from 1985.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broadcast.png
Views:	170
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	53770  
Old 17 July 2017, 20:29   #19
idrougge

Many or most controllers have remote control plugs of some kind. In some cases, they're parallel ports (not the same as on your Amiga or PC, but simply a port with one pin per function), sometimes serial ports and sometimes custom ports that may be cascaded from one monitor to the next. Often, you connected a wired remote to that plug and placed that remote on a desk or mounted it to your rack.

Most Amiga users use 1084s since there are a hundred 1084s made for each PVM.
Old 17 July 2017, 20:32   #20
donnie

but how is the quality of the 1084s vs pvm?