English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 February 2002, 06:35   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Mahjong

Can anybody explain to me what is the fascination the Japanese have with Mahjong games? I have played a couple of them and they are okay, I suppose. But there is a ridiculous number of arcade machines from Japan (to say nothing of computer and console variations) devoted to this game and for the life of me, I can't see what separates one from the other. Even the tilesets looks remarkably similar.

I can accept that there may be something unique in all those Jap RPG games or even the neverending presence of cute Anime-style characters, but the Mahjong thing completely baffles me.
Old 03 February 2002, 08:53   #2
Drake1009

I never learned to play Mah-jong. The only way I learned it was the solitair way which is present in games like Shanghai.

You mention the arcade machines, I'd think that they'd have different other graphics which would seperate them. Maybe the AI had been improved a bit or maybe newer animations showed up. I don't really know.
Old 03 February 2002, 13:05   #3
Drake1009

I think we only have 3 pacman's and a host of bootlegs.
Old 04 February 2002, 12:20   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Nowhere near as many as their mahjong games, I assure you. And the Pacman games are usually just a remake with a graphic facelift; the Tetris games usually offer some new twist on the theme (except for a lot of generic PD games, which hardly could be compared to a coin-op arcade machine). Go to a MAME gallery sometime and look at the screenshots for the myriad mahjong games - a bottomless pit of them with precious little difference in any of them.
Old 04 February 2002, 13:46   #5
Big-Byte
Long time member

Completely agree with you there. I reckon they should have a completely seperate Majong Mame to save the rest of us the hassle of d/l the majhong roms just to get a complete romset.
Old 04 February 2002, 18:58   #6
Pulsecode

Uh! I never did understand Mahjong. Best it did for me was induced sleep...
I think my first experience of it was on the Gameboy and i know as much about it now as i did then! (aside from the fact a few years after i first discovered it i also found out it was a REAL game! scary!)

Old 04 February 2002, 19:06   #7
Paul
RIP Friends

I have been playing a PC version from

http://www.kyodai.com/

And think I understand the rules I hope
Old 04 February 2002, 20:54   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
Completely agree with you there. I reckon they should have a completely seperate Majong Mame to save the rest of us the hassle of d/l the majhong roms just to get a complete romset.
LOL!!!

I understand, s4murai, I just wish they would do something a little more visual to differentiate them (like flashy tileset, cutesy Anime-style backgrounds, etc.)