English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 04 July 2007, 21:48   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfy
I believe they're planning on getting PC drivers into the Amiga so that it can recognise PC disks, which seems a good way of going about getting it out of there.
The EAB wiki might help you with questions you may have in regards to software / transferring the original files from an Amiga into a format supported by WinUAE: How do I transfer my old games to the PC? How do I transfer my ADFs to my Amiga?

Quote:
At my end, we've just got an Amiga emulator going (me and Shalroth) and I'm curious now as to whether or not we can do anything with it at my end, so I'm sorely tempted to try waking up my long sleeping Amiga right now, asides from any other reason I'm told we can get it working on the widescreen TV if we can just find the right cable, and that just has to be tried!!
Unfortunately I'm no expert as I don't have a "real" Amiga anymore

...but you could create a thread in the prb.Hardware section and I'm positive somebody on EAB will be able to assist you
Old 04 July 2007, 23:24   #22
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

It's OK DamienD, thanks once more for your assistance, you are a star, my old Amiga coughed and spluttered at first, the buttons on the mouse are broken but Shal figured out we can use the 'Right Amiga' and 'Alt' keys as surrogates and after a few gurus we got it running, in widescreen no less!

I didn't have to hunt for the game as it was backed up on the internal drive, we had a few moments of confusion as it doesn't work from that drive and we had to make a disc of it, and then we had to figure out the process to get it jump started 'cos it doesn't auto-run, but once we got to that stage it came up no problem!

At first we weren't sure if it was the demo or full game but a quick consultation with Chris got me a well remembered code to later levels (coalfire) proving it HAD later levels, and also a quick peek at the files, so currently we have the full original game up and running on my widescreen TV on an Amiga 1200 and I'm playing with it right now!

Call me sad, but I actually videoed the moment! One for Youtube I think.

Right, it's getting late and I think we've done enough for tonight, tomorrow we'll have a think at getting it into a PC friendly format, some reading required I think, your links may well come in handy there DamienD I'll show that to Shalroth, he's the tech expert here not me, but it's mid-week and I'm afraid there's stuff to be done tomorrow morning, so I think we should stop there, or we'll not sleep for thinking 'Aha!!'.

Will keep you posted, and I have approximately 80 discs to go thru here...
Old 04 July 2007, 23:31   #23
BippyM
Global Moderator

wilfy all you need to do is compress the files on the disk with lha and save to a 720kb formatted disk.

Then simply load into your pc and upload here, one of the regulars here will write it all back to adf and post the finished image

Great work
Old 05 July 2007, 00:48   #24
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Ok, I'm just about to hit the sheets, but I shall consult the Shalroth...

Erm, apparently we don't have lha, the PC won't read an Amiga disk, and we can't get a form of PC driver onto the Amiga because it won't read PC disks 'cos it doesn't have a PC driver, catch 22, so we can't get anything from the PC into the Amiga or vice versa right now.

But apparently there's some workbench 3 disks for sale on eBay that will help, plus for all we know one of these disks here has just what we need, and we desperately require a new mouse with buttons that work 'cos the keyboard for mouse buttons trick doesn't work outside of workbench.

Plus I'm afraid once Shal gets his teeth into a techy issue he's like a Rottweiler with a new chew toy, he WILL NOT let this get away from him, he WILL solve this himself alone, or else, which is why he's the perfect chap to set onto this.

On the plus side, so far we've found Lemmings, Donkey Kong, and a hardware digitiser called a vidi12.

Goodnight folks, sorry, looks like it'll take at least a few more days I'm guessing, unless it suddenly all makes sense in the night!
Old 05 July 2007, 09:47   #25
kriz

Cant you use the 2disk trick with some software ? Please help him
here, im on my way to work and dont have any links now...

Welcome to Eab btw. Looking forward to try this game, cool stuff!!

This - http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/ -> Not on 2000/xp though.

Last edited by kriz; 05 July 2007 at 11:46.
Old 05 July 2007, 10:00   #26
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
But apparently there's some workbench 3 disks for sale on eBay that will help, plus for all we know one of these disks here has just what we need, and we desperately require a new mouse with buttons that work 'cos the keyboard for mouse buttons trick doesn't work outside of workbench.
Yep, WB3 has CrossDOS in it so you can read and format PC disks (720K only though).

Also lha is very easy to get hold of - it's on Aminet for a start but, depending on if you have any old magazine coverdisks lying around, there's a good chance you already have a version of it.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:41   #27
BippyM
Global Moderator

You could always chuck the stuff on 3.5" floppy and post them to me.. I'll image them, post them back and email you the images
Old 05 July 2007, 15:11   #28
Shalroth

Reet.

What we have is a fairly stock A1200 with a 4MB/RTC board and 2GB IDE disc.

I think it's running WB 2.05 or 2.1 but I can't really tell ATM (Anything to look for? I thin kit says it's version 38.nnn - will write this down later)

I have put PC0 in my /devs/dosdrivers but it just plain refuces to put a PC0:??? icon on my WB. I think maybe the version of this dev doesn't work with the version of WB that we have. It came from my WB3.0 Storage disk so maybe this is the cause?

What I could really do with is a new set of WB discs. I have disc images of all of the WB3.0 disks but no way of writing them back to AmigaDOS floppies.

I don't have a null modem cable, and my other machines are either macs or ataris (or legacy-free) anyway.

Also, I think I may be able to do something if I could switch my boot volume, but my mouse's right button is fried. I've been using Right-Amiga+Alt but it won't let me get to the early startup menu.

I've tried a CF - PCMCIA and a SD - PCMCIA adaptor with no success. The machine either just laughs at me or GURUs with them.

I could try removing the hard disc and linking it to WinUAE but I'd prefer not to have to take the machine apart just to get a driver installed!

Anybody, any thoughts?

Old 05 July 2007, 15:18   #29
ppill
CON: artist

If you've got a PC capable of running WinUAE then the simplest solution would be to plug the Amiga disk to that and copy the stuff over. Do a search... there's a couple of threads on how to do it. Good luck!

Last edited by ppill; 05 July 2007 at 17:11.
Old 05 July 2007, 16:22   #30
Shalroth

Cheers...

I pretty much figured I'd have to do that. It's quite amusing turning a Media centre into an A1200...

Old 05 July 2007, 16:41   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Just connect your amiga HD to your PC and use winuae to read the hd.. do some research on here first because you don't wanna put an MBR on the disk etc!
Old 06 July 2007, 22:03   #32
Stoff

Another one for the collection...

Hi people...Chris from the H.C.C.S here (Electrek development team!).
Sorry I've taken so long to post. It always takes me a while to get on with these things.
Sooo pleased Elec still lives on. Thank heavens for boards like this one.
Got the game converted now and just sorting through a few files inside the .adf. It'll get uploaded shortly (full version, I promise). Probably stick it on Aminet but I'll let you know where it's at.
Thanks again. Speak soon.

Old 06 July 2007, 22:08   #33
BippyM
Global Moderator

Fab and welcome aboard mate
Old 06 July 2007, 22:22   #34
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Wow, that's certainly good news.

Nice one people!
Old 07 July 2007, 00:07   #35
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Aha!! The Stoff beats us! Shal's gonna sulk, he's still waiting for the discs he needs, LOL!

Ah well, well done Chris, and I do hope you all enjoy it, people! I've been playing it and it plays way better than I remember!

Now the only remaining factor is do folks try and correct the spelling or just accept that since the Magazine mistake everyone calls it Elektrek!?
Old 07 July 2007, 13:52   #36
fritx

This is great news! I was never much good at Electrek during the play-testing and I'm keen to have another bash. This time I'll kick its ar$e
Looking forward to seeing the disk image, nice work chaps

Old 07 July 2007, 13:53   #37
BippyM
Global Moderator

Bloody hell.. we're being invaded by the electek team

Welcome aboard mate, it's a pleasure you all being here ..
Old 07 July 2007, 14:24   #38
fritx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Bloody hell.. we're being invaded by the electek team

Welcome aboard mate, it's a pleasure you all being here ..
Cheers

Right I'm off to read the FAQs before I post here about the problems I'm having with UAE

Old 07 July 2007, 21:31   #39
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

Ah Fritx!! My word! Cup of tea anyone!?
Old 08 July 2007, 00:44   #40
Wilfy
Exgraphicswhore

You've read the board, now watch the movie!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXa1bGSNGM