English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 23 September 2002, 10:27   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I want...

I want a demo that will show people how good my Amiga is, one that takes advantage of its capabilites as best as possible, but I want one that my Amiga can handle without lag. The ones I downloaded were too slow as they required a 68040 or better for best performance. I have an A1200/10MB RAM, HD. Thanks.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:04   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It doesn't really have to be the very maximum you can push the machine. When friends come over and wanna know what that computer is, firing up the WHD version of Spaceballs' "State of the Art" demo is usually all it takes to blow their minds. My A2000 appears to be dead at the moment, so I've not been doing this lately. But I preferred the old days of doing this from floppy on an A500 (cuz then they get to see it all run from a stock, unexpanded machine running on a 3.5 disk!)

I have seen AGA demos that claim much better stats than some of the old ECS demos, but they are missing that wow factor. Base your choice on its effect, not the specs.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:06   #3
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Hmm.. ok you have a point, I mean games like Shadow of the Beast and Agony look much better than today's 3D tech monstrosities.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:40   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Exactly. A game or production's soul, it's core, is gonna be what really hooks people in.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:58   #5
Tim Janssen

Thumbs up Bier

Back in my original Amiga days I amazed people with some breathtaking demos like Hardwired, Jesus on Es, Nine Fingers Elfmania 242 and of course the best of them all: State of the Art. It is remarkable how little these demos have aged (apart from the music, which feature typical beginning-Nineties samples).
The aforementioned demos will still amaze people.

Lately I have downloaded some AGA-demos from BTTR which really blew my friends away - especially when I told them this was running on a 1993 machine. You know, it were those 3D '040 demos like Aimless (short but great tribute to Stardust tunnel-sequence), 1000% (lots of great 3D-animations) and Electra (whirring tunnel-effects).
The most impressive demo of them all is Bier (also downloadable at BTTR) which is only approx. 15Kb in size when zipped. It is a very short (much too short for my liking) demo with incredibly smooth graphics. It features an electric beam which is moving chaotically on screen. Everything is presented as if the demo is viewed from a camera with a strange shaped lens. The demo really sent shivers down my spine.
I think it can be run on plain AGA Amigas. Definitely recommended.
Old 23 September 2002, 14:11   #6
Dlyte

http://ada.planet-d.net/ for some demos & intros (with screenshots and system requirements)

Smoke bomb (ozone) is the demo