English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 January 2023, 17:03   #341
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Good to hear about your friend All the best for him and a speedy recovery.
Old 08 January 2023, 11:15   #342
Megalomaniac

Get well soon to your friend. That's more important in 2022 than Centerfold Squares
Old 09 January 2023, 16:47   #343
Weasel Fierce

I appreciate the kind wishes. Recovery process is going to be long but its looking good so far.

Back to the 16 bits then with:

Testament
I had played Testament 2 a few years ago and ended up rather enjoying it, so I was curious what the first game would bring. I have a big soft spot for early Wolfenstein/Doom clones after all.
I ran into some resolution issues where I could not get the menu to fit on the screen, though the in-game graphics were fine.

The actual game play is kind of plodding but the B movie horror vibe is fun, or it would be if the enemies did not look completely ridiculous. The real problem is movement: Your character feels enormous somehow. Getting through doors is a constant challenge because you have to be lined up exactly in front of it.Its like the door has an invisible funnel in front of it and you have to get your bulk into it before you can get through.

The enemies seem to be as confused as I was, as they constantly got hung up on walls and corners, allowing me to pick them off.

Without replaying it, I couldnt say how much new stuff was added to Testament 2, from memory it was pretty similar but flowed much more smoothly.
2/5
Old 10 January 2023, 11:33   #344
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Speaking from experience, smooth collision detection is a tough nut to crack In 2D even, I can't imagine how difficult it is in (semi) 3D.
Old 10 January 2023, 17:00   #345
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Speaking from experience, smooth collision detection is a tough nut to crack In 2D even, I can't imagine how difficult it is in (semi) 3D.
Oh yeah, I am not bagging on any developers past or present. Shits hard and even a game that doesn't work had a lot of effort and hours go into it.
Old 12 January 2023, 19:42   #346
Weasel Fierce

Ive been mostly playing Civilization and Historyline but I decided to grab one at random last night, so we got:

Corporation
Hoo boy. The graphics are impressive in a "its in 3D" sense but nothing actually looks like anything. Combat is blah with weapons that lack impact and enemies that don't show much reaction. On the upside there is a lot going on here. Lots of items, things to interact with and elements that feel more like an adventure game than a shoot em up.

But the controls, oh god, the controls. Simply moving around rooms is a chore and it never fails to feel like you are driving a garbage bin through remote control. Reviews at the time praised the game for not using Dungeon Master style controls but I honestly think that would have improved the game tremendously.
2/5 and thats for ambition mostly.
Old 14 January 2023, 18:25   #347
Weasel Fierce

As a heads up, I am going to take a bit of a break from the internet, since work is getting hectic. So I shall be back in a week or so.
Old 14 January 2023, 18:40   #348
jotd
This cat is no more

Amiga doesn't connect to the internet. So you can continue playing at least.
Old 14 January 2023, 18:47   #349
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Taking a break from the internet is a good thing to do when things get hectic. See you in a week
Old 30 January 2023, 17:09   #350
Weasel Fierce

Okay, while I am not quite back yet I did spend some time playing games.

I decided to pick a game that would probably require reading the manual and then spend a bit more time with it which was:

Skyfox
This is actually difficult to rate. It has some status as one of the earliest Amiga games and it is a rather ambitious title: There's a lot going on in the game. Refuelling, different types of weapons, moving around the map and tackling multiple targets at two height levels. You also have to balance fighting the bad guys with keeping your shields, fuel and ammo topped off.
I think the game tricks you a bit because it looks like its going to be a sim of some sort but its really more of an arcade shooter.

Unfortunately the actual combat is not all that great and the landscape, while impressive for a 1986 game is non existent.

Also the game insists on using a joystick in port 1 which I think is an actual crime or something. It took me a while before I realized this was the case and controlling the game with the mouse is absolutely miserable.

I saw some videos online that looked like it ran slower so Im not sure if this speeds up based on CPU speed. There are a few moments where the game felt too fast but I might have imagined it and theres not that much footage of the game online.

In the end a 2/5 all things considered. If I had gotten this with an Amiga in 86 I'd probably have played the hell out of it though.
Old 09 February 2023, 17:08   #351
Weasel Fierce

I am doing things a bit differently currently so this thread will be ongoing but much slower (as you have noticed).

Today I bring you
Temple of Apshai trilogy
In theory this should be cool. I like tile based games, I like turn based RPGs and this feels like it had some effort put in with all the room descriptions and whatnot.
But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to survive a single room. 5 different characters all kitted out with swords and armor and the skeleton in the first room just kills me in a couple of rounds. Even with strength and dexterity of 13 or 14 you miss about half the time and your blows dont seem to do enough damage to bring him down.

Looking through the manual, I didn't see anything of note either. I will try one last time by maxing out all the stats and try to suss out if theres some option I am missing but otherwise this one goes back in the bin.

1/5 for now.
Old 10 February 2023, 04:36   #352
demoniac

I don't remember this game being hard. I only played it for a few hours on the Amiga. Thus, I can't comment on what you are doing differently.
Old 12 February 2023, 16:54   #353
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Hugo på nye eventyr
So maybe you have to be Scandinavian for this one, but in DK we had a tv show you could call into and play a video game on the tv, by hammering buttons on your phone. As a little kid, we always came running to watch it.

Hugo was one of those and the Amiga version is pretty faithful to the tv game.
This isn't a big surprise, as the TV game ran on an A3000.
Old 12 February 2023, 17:46   #354
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
This isn't a big surprise, as the TV game ran on an A3000.
Oh thats super cool, thanks!
Old 12 February 2023, 18:34   #355
Anubis
Retro Gamer

It was the same in Germany, they run Amiga game through phone, while you see game play on TV. Not sure how bad was lag, but kids like my brother really liked this.