English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 August 2019, 05:27   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree. The movement isn't very smooth, but the sprite work on that is pretty good. It's not as impressive as some stuff I've seen on the Mega-Drive (Conta Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes....) .. I am always impressed with big bosses made of lots of small sprites moving independently, and this one was very good.

And the use of both Mode 7 background + sprites to build a single boss was very neaty.

You really don't see this kind of stuff in many amiga games.
Old 13 August 2019, 20:11   #22
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

We might have, if Amiga games did sell more, but that is a COMPLETELY and already discussed to death different topic...
Old 13 August 2019, 20:20   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
We might have, if Amiga games did sell more, but that is a COMPLETELY and already discussed to death different topic...
Sure, it's not like the Amiga couldn't do it.
Old 13 August 2019, 21:08   #24
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Sure, it's not like the Amiga couldn't do it.
Brian The Lion and Turrican III comes to mind
Old 13 August 2019, 21:29   #25
oRBIT
Zone Friend

I wish we had tilebased-graphicsmodes on the Amiga (just like these old great consoles). Animating entire backgrounds by just replacing tilenumbers instead of blitting etc.
Old 13 August 2019, 21:40   #26
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Not a full expert but as far as i can deduce from the hardware he designed, Jay Miner was never a full Tile guy, rather he preferred sprites and riding the raster... or, as far as anyone know, was a tile mode also conceived for the early Lorraine design but scrapped due to costs? I don't know...
Old 13 August 2019, 22:39   #27
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Not a full expert but as far as i can deduce from the hardware he designed, Jay Miner was never a full Tile guy, rather he preferred sprites and riding the raster... or, as far as anyone know, was a tile mode also conceived for the early Lorraine design but scrapped due to costs? I don't know...
The Atari 800 had character graphics, albeit not as powerfull as the C64 and some of the consoles, mainly due to the fact that it did not have an extra color/attribute ram.

Have a look at this talk:
[ Show youtube player ]
by Ron Nicholson & Joe Decuir, there's an audience question at 1:10:30 about character graphics (sound quality is awful, sorry). In short: they thought the blitter was powerful enough to do a character display.

On a side note: A character display without powerful sprites doesn't make that much sense for games with moving objects - the blitter e.g. is not very useful on a tiled screen. And the Amiga's sprite hardware was rather mediocre.

Last edited by chb; 13 August 2019 at 22:48.