English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 January 2010, 20:11   #1
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

How to prove you're not a lousy profit maker?

Hi everybody. I write this thread to have your honest opinion. Yes, I'm pretty new to forums and trading and selling and here a little story about a noob like me who doesn't really know how to act. I’d be pleased if you don’t make too much fun of me.

I’m a newbie here and I subscribed here because I wanted to get to know cool people sharing the same passion of retrogaming and especially Amiga, learn about Amiga and to find people with whom I can trade games in order to complete my retrogame-collection.

Ok nothing special so far but before I wanted to post what I have to trade or to offer, I’ve read a little about the rules and especially about some sellers or the like who are doing this only for their own profit, ripping-off people from the Amiga community. I am one of the retarded fools (sorry for this but I’ve should have known better) who bought from a certain seller from Germany with plenty of pseudonyms (here is only one of the places he got rightfully banned) which is known (not in a nice way it seems) throughout the great Amiga community. So many have fallen into his trap… and to everybody who didn't know BE WARNED! It’s awesome as in the short time we’ve dealt (yes I’ve bought from him and yes you may throw stones at me) he contacted me with 5 different accounts or even 6 including his eBay shop. After that, I swore to myself to not deal again with private persons and I’m pretty sure some of you think the same. Hey, don’t burn him, he’s not the only one like this and it’s my own fault if I’ve been stupid enough to buy; but sorry for my naïve behaviour as I still believe in fairness and kindness.

Ok, everybody (just not foolish me) knows that but what is this thread about? It’s about people like me who want to buy, sell or swap games with good intentions because we love collecting and even are happy if people say “Hey liked the transaction, everything cool dude”. What would be a great way to prove that one has no bad intentions to do so? What I want to say is that I have about 70 to 80 Games for Amiga, CD32, CDTV and PC to trade and wanted to sell or swap them here in order to complete my collection. But as a newbie people certainly think I’m only here to sell, make profit, rip people off, etc. Absolutely correct thinking as it happened to me too and surely to plenty others who lost faith in private sellers or traders. People who care about others and never would sell counterfeits or giving false descriptions about what they trade doesn’t exist anymore because money rules the world and to get rich you have to be ruthless. WRONG!!! (At least I hope so).

What happens then; simple solution: you go the secure way, make sure you’re protected and sell over eBay, fill your PayPal account and search and buy the games you’re after. Wow! Internet is great and connects people… But that’s not what I want because it’s kind of anonymous, it’s selling and nothing more but here you get in contact with people, you get to know them a little and laugh and argue, talk about the same stuff and trade games... Now how can I or anybody do this without that people think I’m only here to sell or make profit (especially as I subscribed only a few days ago); that’s why I listed only what I wanted so far and only said that I have also Amiga stuff to offer. I can only say I’m not here to rip anybody off and would like to have a great time and beside this complete my Amiga collection. I’ve posted one Noob Question and got my answers within a couple of hours! How cool is that!? Am I going to rip this kind of people off?! I really want to smash the faces of all the self-centred-only-profit-making bastards! Sorry, can’t and never will understand sellers like this…

And after having written a whole book here now to the simple question I had in mind when I started this threat: What would be the right way to approach people and say, hi dude, I’m after that and that game and have some to trade without giving the idea of hi fool, I’m after your money and you only interest me as long as you buy?

Last edited by Peilton; 17 January 2010 at 13:09.
Old 15 January 2010, 20:54   #2
chiark
Needs a life

Be wary, and buy with your head not your heart... There are some people who see the community of R3tr0 as a treasure chest and out to rip people off, but in my experience they are by far in the tiny minority.

Hang around, see who is trusted, and go from there.

Bit of well meant advice (not a flame at all) - don't post what might appear to be spam messages in other threads ("hey, great link" etc) because people might think you're just trying to get your post count up.
Old 15 January 2010, 22:22   #3
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Peilton

One word: AmiBay. It was set up for retro trading and you are welcome to sign up. It's as secure as eBay and more so because it's moderated.

www.amibay.com

Enough said.
Old 15 January 2010, 23:33   #4
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Thanks chiark and I'll be damn sure to follow your advice and this is exactly what I did; going through different threads and thanking people for links, tipps, pictures, etc. Didn't even thought about that it looks like: hey look at all my posts at the end, I'm a regular here... Yep, think befor you act "Be wary, and buy with your head not your heart..." => exactly what I did and how I act. I'll be sure to act more carefully as I tend to see too much good everywhere. What can I say other than thanks chiark for opening my eyes

Now, I know why you call yourself Merlin! Helped me really a lot with a few words that is magic for me (if you look at my first post) Thanks, I really know not much and Amibay just seems to be the right place for Amiga stuff
Old 15 January 2010, 23:40   #5
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I look forward to seeing you on there, then.
Old 15 January 2010, 23:45   #6
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I look forward to seeing you on there, then.
Likewise thanks man
Old 16 January 2010, 19:17   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yep you should head on over there sounds like its what you are after

don`t feel to bad about your self, lifes for living and we all make mistakes its how we deal with them that defines who we are
Old 16 January 2010, 19:48   #8
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
yep you should head on over there sounds like its what you are after

don`t feel to bad about your self, lifes for living and we all make mistakes its how we deal with them that defines who we are
Thanks dude, and you're right . Learned my lesson
Old 16 January 2010, 20:11   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

I am sorry for what happened to you.

Could you please give the nicknames and ebay shops name this individual uses, so that i dont get scammed?

Thanks
Old 17 January 2010, 00:06   #10
Photon

I've only bought a few (5?) games from this fella, at 3 occasions. Of these, 1 was packaged poorly so the crystal plastic case arrived chipped at the corner. IMO this was balanced out by him getting me a rare game, admittedly at a fairly luxurious price, but still he got it for me and I can't really come up with someone else who would have located it for me.

After 5 or so years of searching, and asking a friend who had thousands of games but not that one, I'm still happy with my dealings with him. Others may have fared worse, ofc.
Old 17 January 2010, 14:36   #11
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I am sorry for what happened to you.

Could you please give the nicknames and ebay shops name this individual uses, so that i dont get scammed?

Thanks
Well I don't know if I'm allowed to? Won't I be starting a witch hunt and do I have the right to discredit a person publicaly and ruin his name through out the Amiga Community?

@ Photon

Yep, this proves that everybody is responsible for his own actions and while you experienced a very good transaction, I got ripped off. Hope that not more Noobs are getting punished by this guy... On the other hand it is also good to have your experience here as this seller is certainly the solution for all collectors who try to finish their collection in search of very rare titles.

Last edited by Peilton; 18 January 2010 at 14:14.
Old 17 January 2010, 20:46   #12
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Peilton

Let's just say that the various Amiga forums do contact each other at Admin level if anything dodgy is going on. He know's he is banished from most of them and he would be stupid trying to join up again.

There will always be people like this on auction sites; the best advice is buyer beware and stay away from them.

Now, as Graham has mentioned, now would be a good time to let the matter rest.
Old 18 January 2010, 14:16   #13
Peilton
Noobish Newbie

@ Merlin: Yes sir

Sorry, for having digged that up and won't mention all of this again.