English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 May 2014, 22:25   #1
videofx

4000T Toaster Flyer and video card

I have a 4000 toaster in my video slot. I just installed OS 3.9 and want higher resolution and more colors.

Is there any way to do this with out removing the toaster from the video slot?

Thanks
Old 31 May 2014, 23:34   #2
source
Zone Friend

You can use the native amiga displays to give you higher resolution. To get more colors you need a video card. Cybergraphics 64 will work due to it using a zorro slot not the video. You can have both in the system together.
Old 31 May 2014, 23:45   #3
Ami_GFX

The A4000T has two video slots. You can have both a scan doubler and a Toaster installed or a card like Cybervision 64 3D or Picasso IV with a scan doubler that uses the other video slot. The Toaster has to go in the top slot. It is a tight fit but it has been done and the Toaster 4000/Picasso IV combination in the A4000T is somewhat of a classic. I have the second video slot in my A4000T open for the day that I get a Picasso IV---probably will never come but I thought the same about a Cyberstorm PPC and now I've got one. For the moment I'm using a vga to component converter into a component TV and the quality is pretty good.
Old 01 June 2014, 00:44   #4
videofx

Yes because with the toaster everything is tight that's why I have the toaster in the first slot so I could have room for the flyer. I also have in my spares drawer a Picasso IV.

Will the flyer software run using the Picasso IV? or any video card?
Old 01 June 2014, 03:47   #5
source
Zone Friend

The toaster software will open a native amiga screen. The toaster software will work with card in place, but it wont use the Picasso screens. You still need something that will generate the sync signal that the toaster requires to operate ie. an indivision or 1084 monitor etc.
Old 01 June 2014, 05:35   #6
Ami_GFX

The Picasso IV's scan doubler is supposed to work well with the Toaster. The native Amiga modes will be converted into 31khz video. A lot of scan doublers won't work with the Toaster due to the Toaster putting the Amiga in genlock mode which uses composite sync. There is another device called the Sync Strainer that will convert the composite sync into separate horizontal and vertical sync signals. That is what I use with the Toaster. The original Amiga monitors handled both composite sync and h/v sync.
Old 05 June 2014, 05:45   #7
Ami_GFX

I've been rereading old threads on the Newtek forum and this thread specifically deals with the Picasso IV/Toaster combination.

http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-32042.html

A lot of what you have been asking is dealt with there and there is a convenient archive link of Toaster/Flyer Threads going back more than 10 years:

http://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/f-47.html
Old 06 June 2014, 00:10   #8
videofx

Thanks, I already read them. I am giving up on putting the video card in. There is just no room no matter what I do to move the toaster the video card smashes up against the toaster so I will live without the video card. I will stick the video card in my 4000 desktop and just use Lightwave 5
Old 06 June 2014, 05:06   #9
Ami_GFX

I'm using a vga to component video converter attached to a sync strainer and TV monitor with component inputs. Works great so a Picasso IV is not a high priority. I have another monitor for the Toaster YCP-100 S-video output. A good Toaster Flyer system pretty much takes over even an A4000T and doesn't leave room for much more. My A4000D just has the RTG card and I have 3 zorro slots free.
Old 06 June 2014, 16:56   #10
videofx

I am looking for a sync strainer. Then I will so something similar to your setup
Old 11 June 2014, 02:58   #11
bdb

Sync Strainer

It seems to do exactly what the 23-pin RGB to 15-pin VGA adapter does. I have one attached to an Amiga M1764 monitor that together I'd sell for $100 plus shipping.
Old 11 June 2014, 14:33   #12
Ami_GFX

The sync strainer converts Amiga composite sync to separate horizontal and vertical sync when the Amiga is in genlock mode. The Amiga adapter just passes horizontal and vertical sync signal through with a minor amount of signal conditioning. The adapters Amigakit sells just pass the signals through with no conditioning.