English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 November 2019, 04:21   #21
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Thanks! When you play it, I hope you'll like it even more.

Then I have good news: neither Blastaway's nor SkillGrid's music are techno SkillGrid's music, in particular, should suit your tastes: it's truly rocking music (and technically it doesn't even consist of modules, but conceptually of a bunch of MP3). Check it out at https://www.retream.com/SkillGrid.

Glad to have contributed. But my future plans include only stuff for classic Amigas )

Well, the classic Amiga spirit can't be entirely captured by the NG machines.

I don't get this
Sweet, about the music. I am just pleased to see some more NG as well as "Classic". I still very much adore my "Classic" A4000 (lots of expansion). I still use it often. Amiga NG doesn't have the older hardware. Some people are very, very instant that NG isn't Amiga because....it's PowerPC only and they don't see a "future" with it--I do. To me that isn't very embracing of The Phoenix Shall Rise Again, to borrow a phrase. My comment was actually a double entendre...because it depends if you get into it or not and the fun of Amiga. As we got into the A500..and the creativeness with it, and then the later models. Windows and Mac have never "captured" me like Amiga hardware and OS have. Helpful?

Update: I updated my IBrowse 2.5 to 2.5.1 for Amiga OS 4.x.x "Classic" and it reaches the Site well, but when I select to download..it won't get the Download Options. I checked with Odyssey also, that at least got a reaction from it's Download manager. But that was it. Neither will download.

I'm now using Firefox...and have it.

I'm using WinUAE 4.3.0 first...and yeah, emulation is playable but not recommended unless you have a really fast machine. I kept attempting to make the fist letter in my name Uppercase. I don't like non-proper naming, and I don't mean this handle. Haha. The music is pretty typical, I wouldn't call it rock, but it's also not techno. Yaay! The graphics, as they looked in the screenshots, but game play IS there. Except for emulation, the color changes and the fast movement are challenging to keep with, unless you know a little secret.

Checking with X5000..

Ahhhh, much better, of course. Yeah, I wouldn't call the music Rock, but..it's okay. I get to level 5 so far, and that's it. It definitely and replay ability and that's more important than graphics which are prettttty cool. At first I wondered those characters are Pokemon?? That would have been a stopper for me. The sound effects are funny. Changing the screen to red like that is a little tricky for Color "Blind" people such as myself, but you used Black for that character..and it's okay.

It's a fun little game...I'll donate to you.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 14 November 2019 at 05:44.
Old 14 November 2019, 10:23   #22
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Sweet, about the music. I am just pleased to see some more NG as well as "Classic". I still very much adore my "Classic" A4000 (lots of expansion). I still use it often. Amiga NG doesn't have the older hardware. Some people are very, very instant that NG isn't Amiga because....it's PowerPC only and they don't see a "future" with it--I do. To me that isn't very embracing of The Phoenix Shall Rise Again, to borrow a phrase. My comment was actually a double entendre...because it depends if you get into it or not and the fun of Amiga. As we got into the A500..and the creativeness with it, and then the later models. Windows and Mac have never "captured" me like Amiga hardware and OS have. Helpful?
I don't want to derail the thread, but given that you took the time to fully explain your thought, let me clarify that I wasn't dissing NG Amigas (I have one too and I made games for it, after all): I just said that NG Amigas can't entirely capture the classic Amiga spirit, and that's an obvious consequence of the different hardware (not just a matter of CPU) and of the different way of programming it (no hardware-hitting on NG Amigas).

Quote:
Ahhhh, much better, of course. Yeah, I wouldn't call the music Rock, but..it's okay.
Nope, it isn't rock at all - in fact, I never said it's rock, I just said that it isn't techno

But I did mention rock music, and that was related to SkillGrid - check out [ Show youtube player ].

Quote:
I get to level 5 so far, and that's it. It definitely and replay ability and that's more important than graphics which are prettttty cool.
Thanks!

Quote:
At first I wondered those characters are Pokemon?? That would have been a stopper for me.
LOL

Quote:
Changing the screen to red like that is a little tricky for Color "Blind" people such as myself, but you used Black for that character..and it's okay.
Oh, sorry, that didn't occur to me!

Quote:
It's a fun little game...I'll donate to you.
Much appreciated, thanks!
Old 14 November 2019, 11:56   #23
saimo

I've been asked by email, on itch.io, on YouTube, and on various forums to port Blastaway to other platforms, and I've also read some misinformation somewhere, so I thought I'd better give a complete and clear answer everywhere.

I'm not going to port Blastaway to any other platform.

In general, other platforms won't be considered because:
* I can't take the burden of adapting the game and then of offering (future) support (two platforms are already demanding, and with BOH I've learned that increasing the number of supported systems beyond two is insane);
* porting is boring;
* help offers aren't of any help (terrible pun intended) because also collaborating, for several reasons, takes time and energies;
* I don't own all the machines I'm being / I will be asked to port the game to, and for money and logistical reasons I can't get more;
* I have many other projects (for classic Amiga and Commodore 64) waiting to be resumed, and time and energies are limited.

In particular, a classic Amiga version won't happen because:
* it couldn't be identical;
* it would require a huge development effort, as no direct port is possible: the code would have to be written from scratch and the data would have to be adapted;
* it would require an additional effort for testing, given the variety of hardware configurations;
* it would require again a big effort in case of updates (if any).

Last edited by saimo; 14 November 2019 at 13:24.
Old 14 November 2019, 12:25   #24
DamienD
Global Moderator

Heya saimo,

I copied the above post to here from the Blastaway, a new game for AmigaOS 4 (?) thread.
Old 14 November 2019, 13:23   #25
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heya saimo,

I copied the above post to here from the Blastaway, a new game for AmigaOS 4 (?) thread.
Ah, right! Well done, thank you!
Old 14 November 2019, 13:52   #26
lesta_smsc

Just been playing this for the last 10 mins - addictive! That teleport initially confused me, I was looking for where the player had disappeared lol.

Just had a look at your other games, very talented and I like the uniqueness of the gameplay e.g. BOH (appears like Alien Breed character) where the visible window is limited just as it would be if you were literally moving around!
Old 14 November 2019, 15:40   #27
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Just been playing this for the last 10 mins - addictive!
Nice, thanks

Quote:
That teleport initially confused me, I was looking for where the player had disappeared lol.
Unlike most of my other games, this is very simple, but still there are a few things to learn. The best way to enjoy it is to read the manual.

Quote:
Just had a look at your other games, very talented and I like the uniqueness of the gameplay
Glad you appreciate that. When I make games, I always try to do something new. Blastaway is an exception, though (as explain in this thread).

Quote:
e.g. BOH (appears like Alien Breed character) where the visible window is limited just as it would be if you were literally moving around!
Yep, that game uses real-time field of vision and lighting precisely to give the player the impression of being actually lost in those mazes.
(But given that BOH is frequently misunderstood, let me stress that gameplay-wise it is not like Alien Breed, although Alien Breed is one of its sources of inspiration.)
Old 14 November 2019, 19:37   #28
lesta_smsc

Happy birthday @saimo!
Old 14 November 2019, 22:11   #29
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Happy birthday @saimo!
Thank you!