English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 November 2019, 16:40   #1
Glen M

3D printed cover for the Kipper2K CD32 riser

Maybe you seen my last video from the weekend.... maybe not, but long story short I was sent a 3D printed cover for the Kipper2K CD32 riser card thats great. It even has space for an integrated SD card so no more removing the riser and TF expansion to get to the CF card! The SD card is handled by an SD extension cable and an SD to IDE interface

The designer 32bits has gave permission for anyone to make their own version of it so I am taking it upon myself to refine the design slightly and make a new version for those in the UK that don't have the means to make one themselves.

I've been speaking to a local 3D printing firm who are all up for making a run of these, say 10 to begin with and they are presently quoting a cost of about £200-£220 so £20 to £22 each. Thats the cost for the cover only, the SD card extender and interface cost more, allow another £15ish buying from amazon.

I am happy to liaise with the company and handle posting of each cover etc but before I go to far down this rabbit hole can I first gauge interest from the community? Would you be interested in a cover for the Kipper2K board costing say £25 plus post and packaging?

I'm not looking to make money here so I'll be open and transparent about all costs involved and before you ask I'm saying £25 as I'm sure costs will rise slightly during the design tweeking (they always do) plus it'll likely cost me a tank of petrol in running back for forth.

I'll post a picture tonight of the cover as it currently stands.

Last edited by Glen M; 26 November 2019 at 23:04.
Old 27 November 2019, 01:06   #2
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Does it will have the same grey color and aspect as the CD32 ?
If yes i'm interested in !
Is SD card transfer rate better/lower than CF card or HDD?
Old 27 November 2019, 17:49   #3
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Count me in as well , is the Screw an option ? as i dont have the original backplate + screw anymore
Old 27 November 2019, 23:26   #4
Glen M

I'm working with the guy to get a colour as close as possible to the original. I'm not sure on sd transfer rates but I expect it'll be similar, I was going to do some tests on that this weekend.

The screws are really cheap so I can buy a bag of them and include 1 with each cover.

I've been up to my eyes with work so haven't had a chance to put up a picture yet but I will try and do it later tonight or tomorrow at latest.
Old 28 November 2019, 15:10   #5
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Maybe worth advertising on Amibay as well for more interest.
Old 29 November 2019, 16:48   #6
Glen M

Here are a few pictures of the current 3D printed cover.

The design needs tweeked a bit to better fit at the screw position plus I want to increase the size of the opening at the RGB port to also accept cut down 25pin connectors, not just 23pin connectors. Obviously the colour also needs changed but I think we have a solution to that.

Being perfectly honest about this I may have to leave this we project until after Christmas. I probably shouldn't of opened this thread so early but you know how Christmas is and how expensive that gets, I don't have enough spare cash to fund this wee project too.
Old 29 November 2019, 19:20   #7
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Take your time, no problem for me
Old 29 November 2019, 19:26   #8
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

No problem Glen, After Christmas is fine with me , hopefully then you will be in a better position to get it how you like it, no point rushing it anyway and then wishing you had done something else to it.

I await the New Year with anticipation