English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 June 2019, 00:53   #1
sardaukar

Question Installing _any_ BBS package

Hello!

I've modded my MiST FPGA https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki to have internet via SLIP on the emulated serial port with the help of an ESP8266 board. I'm using Genesis 1.0.4 on Workbench 3.1 and it works fine - I can ping IPs and resolve domain names.

I would like to run a BBS on it, but it's been super hard to get any of the software to run. I've tried:

* AmiExpress 4 - I can't get the files to run, I keep getting "express is not executable" or "acp is not executable". Also, the installer only works if I pick the system drive, the 2nd hard drive gives me a LHA error

* Zeus - runs, but can't get the serial line to connect. When telnetd picks up my connection and tells me to login as "bbs" I get "sorry, BBS is not installed"
* HydraBBS - nightmare to configure
* FAME - tried the "FameOnCD.zip" file from scene.org, installer craps out at about the 50% mark

Kinda running out of ideas. I did find a "AmiExpress sysop in a minute" tutorial, but it assumes WinUAE's bsdsocket.library that uses Windows' TCP/IP stack. Some other tutorials assume it too. Can anyone please walk me through either setting up Ami/X or Zeus or any other "modern" BBS that can work via telnet?

The emulated specs are: AGA chipset, 68020, 2MB of chip RAM, 24 of fast RAM, 2 floppies and 2 hard disks (uses HDF files on SD card).

Please help! Going crazy here
Old 10 June 2019, 10:51   #2
patrik

The bsdsocket.library which Genesis creates in memory is compatible with the bsdsocket.library emulated by WinUAE. What in these tutorials makes bsdsocket.library usage different with WinUAE?

The only thing I can recall which is different on the WinUAE implementation is if you use inetd where you have to add service port definitions in the host os (Windows) services file.
Old 10 June 2019, 14:40   #3
sardaukar

Oh, I thought it was a WinUAE only thing. I got a "could not open bsdsocket.library" message on one of the BBSs.

Is there a way to debug why the libraries are not openable? Or executables?
Old 10 June 2019, 19:45   #4
sardaukar

Ok, so I've installed AmiExpress 4 from floppy. If I try to install outside of the `System:` drive, I get a "Unable to locate a file or drawer" error in the installer. After installing, if I try to open the documentation (in AmigaGuide format) I get a guru meditation and a reboot. On reboot, I briefly see a "Can't open Devs:Mountlist" error twice before Workbench (3.1, by the way) comes up.

Trying to launch the main BBS file that was installed gives me "unable to open your tool `acp`".

Is this because AmiExpress 4 is too old for Workbench 3.1?
Old 10 June 2019, 21:29   #5
sardaukar

Managed to install Zeus, and it looks great! No joy with remote access, though.

I've added a user to `db/passwd` to just spawn new shells, and it works. But the bbs user I created (to spawn Zeus:bin/system/netstart) just closes the connection immediately

Using telnetd 2.0 from Aminet. Any pointers?
Old 10 June 2019, 21:38   #6
patrik

The API/interface TCP/IP applications on the Amiga generally use is bsdsocket.library.

Genesis, which really is AmiTCP, was the software package which introduced the bsdsocket.library API, so it would be strange if it could not be opened. Genesis needs to be running for applications to be able to open bsdsocket.library, as it creates bsdsocket.library in memory.

Could always be a version issue, but Genesis should be bsdsocket.library v4, which is the highest available.

In a shell, execute "version full bsdsocket.library" to see the version. Please also paste the result in this thread.
Old 10 June 2019, 22:52   #7
sardaukar

I get "library 4.42 (24.4.98)"
Old 13 June 2019, 10:27   #8
sardaukar

Ok, I think I got Zeus to work with telnetd.device. But now I get:

Code:
Trying 192.168.1.94...
Connected to 192.168.1.94.
Escape character is '^]'.

Access restriction violation:  connection refused.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I think this is because my version of telnetd.device is shareware and only allows from the local network, and the portmapping on my homemade modem is in a different network. Anyone have the full version of telnetd.device ?
Old 13 June 2019, 20:00   #9
cloverskull

The pre-built amiexpress install on amiexpress.co.uk has it.
Old 13 June 2019, 20:13   #10
sardaukar

Yeah, I got it from some other download on Aminet (just looked for telnetd.device in content advanced search). Working on a blog post for this now
Old 14 June 2019, 19:25   #11
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

i've done quite a bit of stuff with tcp/ip using bsdsocket recently and i haven't seen much in the way of issues using winuae bsdsocket vs a real stack if the apps just access the socket layer directly.

Glad you got something up and running enventually though.

Can't see why amiexpress.co.uk sysop in a minute package would not work though as it just uses telnetd.device and other than that doesn't care what tcp/ip mechanism you are using.
Old 15 June 2019, 02:50   #12
sardaukar

Wrote a blog post about how I got it to work! https://blog.nootch.net/post/amiga-bbs-online-2019/
Old 15 June 2019, 23:10   #13
cloverskull

Just stumbled on your blog post earlier today (iPad Chrome recommends things it thinks I may be interested in...frighteningly well). Gotta say, that’s an excellent post!

At one point I got UAE to run in a cloud VM on digital ocean and tried running a board on it but it was a pain in the butt to maintain. I was using a Linux VM, I suppose running a windows VM with WinUAE may be simpler. But that could be an interesting thing to explore.
Old 16 June 2019, 01:26   #14
sardaukar

Thanks, I'm getting good feedback on it - glad you liked it! I wanted to post the link here since this forum was such a good starter for me and I want someone else to know how to get there!

And yeah, I'm getting a lot of traffic from Google too and it's a bit freaky how they know about it so quickly?

Anyway, Windows VMs are a pain - stick with Linux but maybe do a VNC remote desktop kind of deal running FS-UAE?
Old 16 June 2019, 10:54   #15
cloverskull

FS-UAE doesn’t really run “headless” - even with VNC, it tends to run like garbage.
Old 16 June 2019, 11:26   #16
sardaukar

I've had good experiences with it, running AmigaOS 4. It doesn't run headless, but if you set up a VM with X11, you can VNC into it. If all you want is to run a BBS, it should be ok.
Old 19 June 2019, 19:48   #17
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

i spent ages trying different ways to run linux in the cloud using vnc and gave up in the end. I was never able to get decent mouse control.

I'm running windows and winuae now and it works fine using remote desktop (although i had to get Tony Willen to put in some keyboard and mouse tweaks in order to get it working properly)