English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 25 April 2010, 14:21   #1
chesty

Big Issues running Amiga Forever 2009 on Vista HP

Help needed!!

I downloaded Amiga Forever 2009 from Cloanto yesterday, but cannot get it to work on my Dell laptop using Vista HP. It installs ok and loads the main screen without problems, but as soon as I try and load anything, I get a black screen, then after a few seconds some strange noises reminiscent of listening to an old Speccy game load start and are accompanied by random colours flashing on the screen. This goes on forever so I am forced to start the task manager to close the program. This is bad in itself of course, but a strange clicking sound that is first heard when a program fails to load (but slightly quieter) continues on and on and will only go away if I restart the computer. I'm sure this is tied up with the fact that WinUAE still runs, despite closing AF, as when I tried uninstalling and installing again, I got a message saying that WinUAE was still running in the background. However, when I go into the Cloanto folder to view the various files, there is no seperate application program for WinUAE.

I have sent an email to the support guys at Cloanto but wondered if anyone out there had had similar problems and knew of a quick way to solve them? I would eternally grateful for any suggestions.

Old 25 April 2010, 14:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Weird sound and weird color flashes at startup in A500 modes usually means corrupt or missing Kickstart ROM file. (or perhaps some problem with AF key files)
Old 25 April 2010, 14:56   #3
chesty

I did manage to locate the 3 Kickstart files and they are in the WinUAE/Configurations folder.

Old 25 April 2010, 15:24   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesty View Post
I did manage to locate the 3 Kickstart files and they are in the WinUAE/Configurations folder.
Only configuration files are in the Configurations folder. The Kickstart files are in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\System\Roms.

I had similar problems when I tried the Cloanto Player for the first time. IMHO it was mainly caused by fullscreen + filters active by default.

I just stopped using the Player (I am not so much interested in games anyway) and now use WinUAE seperately with my own configurations.
Old 25 April 2010, 15:58   #5
chesty

Mmm..that's interesting because there is no 'System' folder in 'Amiga Files'.

Old 25 April 2010, 17:12   #6
zipper

Depends how you have installed; my AF is on a dedicated partition and the path is: Amiga_partition/Amiga Forever/Amiga Files/System/Rom
Old 25 April 2010, 18:05   #7
chesty

I just did the 'complete' installation when prompted. Do you think it would be worth doing a 'custom' installation?