Old 01 November 2002, 15:49   #1
Korodny
Zone Friend

Order your AmigaOne now!

New press release from Eyetech:

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/amigaone/oct252002a.php
Old 01 November 2002, 16:33   #2
Amiga1992

I suppose this is good only for OS4 testers/devvers like you. Normal AmigaOne-wanting peasants will have to wait some more... Then again betatesters like you already got an A1, right?
Old 01 November 2002, 16:45   #3
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
I suppose this is good only for OS4 testers/devvers like you. Normal AmigaOne-wanting peasants will have to wait some more...
That depends on you. You could install Linux and MOL and use it as a MacOS X Box until AmigaOS4 becomes reality (that's what I did). Don't forget you'll get OS4 for free (that means you'll probably save about 70 USD/EURO, note that I'm just guessing).

If you don't want Linux/MacOS or want to be on the safe side (who knows, an earthquake might strike Hyperion's HQs) wait until January 2003. That would be the more sensible approach anyway, as one normally shouldn't by the "cat in the bag" (german phrase, is there an englisch equivalent?).

Quote:
Then again betatesters like you already got an A1, right?
Right
Old 01 November 2002, 16:53   #4
Walker

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
That would be the more sensible approach anyway, as one normally shouldn't by the "cat in the bag" (german phrase, is there an englisch equivalent?).
Funny, in Sweden it's "pig in the bag"!
Old 01 November 2002, 18:13   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
That depends on you. You could install Linux and MOL and use it as a MacOS X Box until AmigaOS4 becomes reality
Oh! It runs OS X?? 100% compatibility with all the Mac stuff??
I could live without that Linux shite, but OS X sounds neat
Old 01 November 2002, 18:16   #6
blackcornflake

Well, this is good news.

Being a Mediator owner, I am still waiting for the SharkPPC though...

Would this thread not be a good place for someone in the know (hi Korodny) to give some concrete info on the AmigaOne? I have lost all track of what it is supposed to do, how it might interface with classic Amiga gear, etc. Any details you can divulge, now it is available?

Quote:
one normally shouldn't by the "cat in the bag" (german phrase, is there an englisch equivalent?)
afaik there is no direct English equivalent to this phrase, if I understand the meaning correctly: to buy something sight unseen.

To "let the cat out of the bag" is to give away a secret.
Old 01 November 2002, 18:35   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Would this thread not be a good place for someone in the know (hi Korodny) to give some concrete info on the AmigaOne?
Bad boy blackcornflake.
BAD BOY!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3581

Old 01 November 2002, 18:56   #8
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Oh! It runs OS X?? 100% compatibility with all the Mac stuff??
I could live without that Linux shite, but OS X sounds neat
Geez, you're a real hardware fetishist

It does not run OS X natively (yet) - I don't know if somebody's working on that (I don't care). It shouldn't be a real problem, there just has to be somebody interested in doing it.

But it does run MacOnLinux ("MOL") which is a Mac Emulator for LinuxPPC. Actually, it's not really an emulator, as it doesn't have to emulate the CPU. It's quite similar to WINE or the old 68k Mac emulators for AmigaOS. MOL runs OSX.2 just fine, and at native speed (I'm told, I can't run OSX natively). This is my first contact with MacOS, but I didn't run into any compatability issues or other problems.

So, basically you get your favourite Linux distro (I think there 5 or 6 now that were adapted to th A1). Install it (most LinuxPPC distros already include MOL) and forget about Linux instantly
Old 01 November 2002, 18:58   #9
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Bad boy blackcornflake.
BAD BOY!

Sorry mom.

Yeah, I have read the Amiga Today FAQ previously. I have even used the term 'platform agnostic' in a previous post about Amiga DE/OS. I just wondered, given that the plans have changed so often, whether the information contained in the FAQ was still accurate with regard to the functioning of the AmigaOne, (particularly the whole issue of possible interface with original Amiga hardware), or whether there was another change somewhere along the way.

/me sit in corner
Old 01 November 2002, 19:09   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Well, this is good news.

Being a Mediator owner, I am still waiting for the SharkPPC though...
This will take some time. Hopefully Elbox will have their stuff finished when Hyperion is ready. And hopefully they'll stop playing games - Elbox and licensing issues: trouble guaranteed.

Quote:
Would this thread not be a good place for someone in the know (hi Korodny) to give some concrete info on the AmigaOne?
Well, there's not much more info available, than the stuff in the FAQ Akira linked to. It's just a PPC motherboard running AmigaOS (and every other OS somebody adopts to it - currently a bunch of Linux distros).

Quote:
I have lost all track of what it is supposed to do, how it might interface with classic Amiga gear, etc.
Forget about the interface to classic hardware. That project is dead. The only thing that will make some classic "hardware" (keyboards, mice, digital joysticks, disk drives) available to the A1 will be the Catweasel.

Quote:
Any details you can divulge, now it is available?
Regarding the hardware? Hm... no. There aren't any secrets left, as far as I know.

Quote:
afaik there is no direct English equivalent to this phrase, if I understand the meaning correctly: to buy something sight unseen.
Yep. "buy something sight unseen" sounds ike one hell of a complicated phrase to me so I'll treat that one as an equivalent from now on

Quote:
To "let the cat out of the bag" is to give away a secret.
Yes, we've got this one too, funny. So I assume that swedish people don't "let the pig out of the bag"
Old 01 November 2002, 19:39   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Geez, you're a real hardware fetishist
Of course
Quote:
But it does run MacOnLinux ("MOL") which is a Mac Emulator for LinuxPPC.
VERY interesting, thanks for the data!!!!!