English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 January 2003, 14:50   #1
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Arrow Buying an Amiga

Ok, right now it's really future talking, buy I plan to one day buy myself a new amiga.
I would use it for games, but most of all for sound, music and maybe some video stuff with a friend.
What shouldIi do? Try this new A1 stuff with OS4, or stick to goold old 3.1? How good is the compatibility of older softs with OS4?
And what would be the choice machine for that kind of stuff, what kind of expansion boards / peripherals would be useful?
Old 09 January 2003, 15:15   #2
kriz

well the only choioce you got today is to get a classic amiga, with OS3.9 ... A second hand 060 or ppc machine, they go cheap these days (look at amibench/ebay/newspaper) ...

But, if you got the money (and the guts ) to wait for the A1 this will be the amiga to get .... imagine AmigaOS running all on ppc, lightning fast .....

Im getting the A1 when its done (when OS 4 is done.....) .. (I got a 060 and a 040/ppc machine...)
Old 09 January 2003, 15:17   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

You must like burning your money. It's an utter waste. While you're at it, throw some cash this way!
Old 09 January 2003, 15:56   #4
Mr Softy

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
You must like burning your money. It's an utter waste. While you're at it, throw some cash this way!
Are you talking about the A1 specifically or my general thinking about buying a new machine?
Old 10 January 2003, 04:22   #5
Amiga1992

You are not gonna find many NEW A1200s around... try scoring a pimped up used 1200 jobbie in good condition.
Old 10 January 2003, 13:55   #6
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

If I was buying right now I'd go for a 1200 with the fastest (preferably PPC) accel I could find, preferably towered with the Z4 zorro/PCI board. This lets you use el-cheapo PCI PC GFX cards, sound cards, modems and network cards. Unless you want OldSchoolGaming ONLY in which case, a std A1200 will be fine.

If I was looking to the future then it's got to be the AmigaOne G4. Because it's socketed you can plug in a faster chip (if you want/as it becomes available). You can use AGP GFX cards, USB devices, ATA drives etc., but the best thing is that despite WinTel machines having higher clock speeds, the G4 is a very efficient CPU and OS4 is a very efficient OS with low overhead, which means that the subjective speed of the machine (how fast it feels to you) is a lot higher with the A1 than it is with the PC - even with 2GHz+ CPU!

If you have a 1200, see how it feels when you open a window. Now try the same thing on a PC running W98. Spot the difference! Unless you're using 600MHz+ the A1200 feels to do it faster! And, that's with a CPU running at 14MHz!!!! That's the difference a good OS makes, and OS4 is built to give the same advantages with modern additions.

Fair enough the PC hardware (mobo/CPU) is cheaper to buy, but the Amiga has proved that you don't need to have the latest/fastest h/w to do usefull work with a computer...

What can I say; if I had £1000 to spend on new computer kit, I'd get the A1 G4/800, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, slap in my spare Matrox G400, 17"CTX monitor, case, sound card - with a good £180 still to go!

And if you don't think that's worth it, and worth buying, then do you belive the Amiga has any future other than as a retro-gaming has-been? Because I do!

Brothers and sisters, I have a dream! It's name is Amiga.

Old 11 January 2003, 22:01   #7
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
I've already decided, I will buy AmigaOne. Amiga is always the best way to think a computer, and now it's featuring Linux! I don't care about money!
Old 11 January 2003, 22:14   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So correct me if i am wrong: you don't care about the Amiga Os. So you want to spend money on a box to put Linux on. When you can easily put Linux on a PC. In other words, merely because this Linux box has a Amiga logo, and is not even manufactured by Amiga, you admit to being willing to throw money away. if i am correct, then you, signore, are an idiot.
Old 11 January 2003, 23:27   #9
RetroMan

Quote:
...if i am correct, then you, signore, are an idiot.
Why The AOne currently can run LinuxPPC, right ?? So, IF and WHEN AOS4 is out, he can run Linux, AOS 4.0 and MacOS on his new Amiga Fairly good deal I guess
Old 12 January 2003, 02:28   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I would never buy non Apple hardware for Mac OS. Buying AmigaOne is retarded, as the in house apps are non existent, and 3rd party support is nearly non existent and it cannot play old apps and games. So what, I can play around with AOS 4 Oooo wow.
Big deal. Whats an OS without serious 3rd party and inhouse support?
Worthless.
Old 12 January 2003, 13:19   #11
RetroMan

Quote:
... and it cannot play old apps and games.
Why not AOS 4.0 will have a built in Emulator for 68K programs
Old 12 January 2003, 14:17   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I thought that was scrapped. Rememeber when Akira got downtrodden over it? It's still worthless. Why?
Because you can emulate most of those same programs and games on a real Amiga [PPC or 68k] or WinUEA or MacUAE/MaxUAE.
So gee, he's going to spend 800 bucks or so on a stinking glorified WinUAE and maybe be able to run a handful of apps that some dudes will write for OS 4.
I am a very honest man, my moral fibre hates to see people cheated. I don't care about someone wgo idiodically says "I don't care about the money".
But to the others who are considering buying an AmigaOne, please, come down to earth and look at it with reality. Tell me, would YOU recommend the purchase AmigaOne to someone who is an average wage earner, instead of a PC or Mac or keeping their old Amiga? If so, I have lost alot of respect for you, Retroman.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 12 January 2003 at 22:19.
Old 14 January 2003, 10:06   #13
utri007
mä vaan

amiga is hobby

totally different thing than buying a PC or Mac.

and anyway, opinion about AmigaOS4.0 ?? How that is possble??

Have you seen it, it's too early to say anything about it.

But I'l allso buy AmigaOne, but I wait to see AmigaOS4.0 exist

"Tell me, would YOU recommend the purchase AmigaOne to someone who is an average wage earner"

I wouldn't recomed many things Renault, Linux, Citroen, MacOS, Philps, Opel (Vauxhall), Fujitsu, to say other people idiots ,,,

Question is not a "wage" it's "average"
Old 14 January 2003, 10:40   #14
manicx

How about Pegasus. I saw this beauty working in all its glory in Alternative Party IV in finland last weekend. It runs Morphos and can emulate classic Amiga WB-only software. Do not expect to boot up any old games in a floppy!!! Anyway, the specs are similar to the new Amiga coming out by ... ermmm Amiga but I am not sure whether it can run OS4.0. I think it won't be able to do it. So, you have a G3/G4 computer, running MorphOS like a dream (I even saw Q2 running like a dream), based on modern PC hardware, also able to run Linux at a very low price (you can get a good spec machine for about 700 euros)... The option is yours!
Old 14 January 2003, 21:56   #15
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Re: amiga is hobby

Quote:
Originally posted by utri007
totally different thing than buying a PC or Mac.

and anyway, opinion about AmigaOS4.0 ?? How that is possble??

Have you seen it, it's too early to say anything about it.

But I'l allso buy AmigaOne, but I wait to see AmigaOS4.0 exist

"Tell me, would YOU recommend the purchase AmigaOne to someone who is an average wage earner"

I wouldn't recomed many things Renault, Linux, Citroen, MacOS, Philps, Opel (Vauxhall), Fujitsu, to say other people idiots ,,,

Question is not a "wage" it's "average"
Eh?
Old 14 January 2003, 23:50   #16
woody57

What if

is the classic amiga really a techno antique ? fredric can rightly play devils addvocate if the amiga one is really just a talking point like a modern print of a classic painting . Without apps , real apps not ported copies the whole argument of an alternative OS that runs more efficiently gets flushed .
so many threads on this site are retro based extoling what were once ground breaking products and sideways thinking .
where is the software bundle that can be packaged to show this is not only a new product but a better one .
for now I,ll keep saving for that day , if it ever comes
Old 14 January 2003, 23:56   #17
oldpx

I'm positive on Pegasos, they don't intent to launch this machine as an amiga clone yet it's more backwards compatible than one that's officially called an amiga. At this point, I've given up waiting for the ultimate amiga anyway. Will I be buying it? Probably not until it becomes popular enough, I have enough computers that aren't useful to me enough.

Old 15 January 2003, 03:02   #18
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Burseg:

Quote:
I'm positive on Pegasos, they don't intent to launch this machine as an amiga clone yet it's more backwards compatible than one that's officially called an amiga.
That's not correct. Both are backwards compatible to the same degree - at least on paper. It still remains to be seen what percentage of vintage applications both operating systems are able to run.
Old 15 January 2003, 12:06   #19
Mr Softy

Thumbs up

Mmmhhh. I still don't know whatta think aboot this OS4 thingy. Like
I would use my miggy for retro sounding and gaming... But i seek good performance anyway. After reading all your nice answers I think syko's suggestion sounds very good. And I think fred is right: no apps, no support = no fun.

I still have my bare 1200 with 40 meg HD, but i'd better re-install everything and stuff it with RAM and expansion boards. But It's not in mint condition tho...
Old 15 January 2003, 12:55   #20
Jan

If the AOne ever comes out, I don't think I'm gonna buy it. At least I would wait maybe a year, just to see how software and support are developing. After that I would think over it again.

But to be honest, I don't think the AOne will ever be released...