English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 November 2011, 08:27   #1
jimbobrocks92

SCSI Card reader amiga??

hi are SCSI Card Readers usable (such as this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-PCD-6...item4cfbd419b3) on amigas

thanks for your help

James
Old 21 November 2011, 10:50   #2
Cammy

Yes they work, but don't buy it from this ripoff! Buy from a trusted Amiga hardware dealer and save! http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?ma...fc19b07b63bfb8

Here's one being used in an A500 expansion:

I've personally used one with an A2000 and an A2091 card.
Old 21 November 2011, 11:09   #3
amigoun

Oh, its the US webshop. Any chance to buy this from some european shop?
Old 21 November 2011, 12:09   #4
DonAmiga

excellent link Cammy just ordered one
Old 21 November 2011, 14:08   #5
Calabazam

Can you hotplug memory cards with computer on on those readers?
Old 21 November 2011, 14:48   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Yes you can!!!

I use it on my A4000 mounted on CSPPC via an 68-->50pin adapter as an extra HD for backup purposes and works like a charm via hotplug.
Just don't remove it as data is being accessed.
The only drawback is that it's not as fast as an ACard mounted on an CF2IDE or SD2IDE adapter (~2.5MB/s max) but for such a device and at that price I think it's a really awesome piece of hardware.
Old 23 November 2011, 02:53   #7
jimbobrocks92

Thanks Cammy!!XD

can anyone tell me if the pcmcia slot is fully functional (can use ethernet cards etc)

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 23 November 2011 at 08:48. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 23 November 2011, 04:17   #8
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobrocks92 View Post
can anyone tell me if the pcmcia slot is fully functional (can use ethernet cards etc)
Hi jim, i sell those card readers in question. The pcmcia slot is only for memory cards(via pcmcia to cf) or pcmcia flash cards and ethernet cards cannot be used in it.
I don't recommend you hotswap the card you boot the AmigaOs off of but the other slots can be hotswapped any time.. One catch to using the other slots is the particular SCSI controller you use must support LUNS(logical Unit Numbers). If it doesn't you need to use the pcmcia slot with a cf adapter.

Speed varies greatly with the type scsi controller and cf you use and if you run scsi synchronous(which is best).These are rated for 5MB/s max,the best i have seen is around 4MB/s.

Older controllers like the C= A590/A
2091 etc do best with 7.0 roms(6.6 does seem to work,but your mileage may vary).
Fastlane Z3 works with most any rom(8.5 is best)
C= A4091 (recommend 7.x)
GVP (recommend at least 4.15)
and many others

Upgrading the early wd33c93A revision 4 scsi chips in the A3000/T and 590/2091 can help,but in most cases is not necessary unless you have trouble with trying to run multiple drives.

For any of you that have trouble getting the card readers to work,feel free and email me for help. hdtoolbox usually needs some tooltypes set to see all luns/devices (the scsi controller must have them on also).

Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Yes you can!!!

I use it on my A4000 mounted on CSPPC via an 68-->50pin adapter as an extra HD for backup purposes and works like a charm via hotplug.
Just don't remove it as data is being accessed.
The only drawback is that it's not as fast as an ACard mounted on an CF2IDE or SD2IDE adapter (~2.5MB/s max) but for such a device and at that price I think it's a really awesome piece of hardware.

I was doing the same thing because its so handy, i also had 5 different os version on separate cards accessible at boot time.Its even handy for keeping a macos partition on its own card for fusion/shapeshifter.

I went even further and mounted a card reader on a 2091 and 4091 for quick and dirty big box amiga os installs. sure saves time.just plug the card up and it boots and copy the os installs,macos stuff,whdload games etc straight over.

mech

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 23 November 2011 at 08:48. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 14 July 2018, 09:07   #9
Hypex

Hello. Not to drag out an old thread but I am in the same situation. I'm looking for cheap card reader solution for my A4000. I started thinking reader to IDE (after I found USB to IDE was basically non-existent but preferred) but then my IDE ports are used up by a HD and DVD drive. And I have plenty of SCSI slots free on my cable.

So are there any cheap SCSI card readers still out there? I realise anything with SCSI means expensive. So perhaps not.

Reader to IDE may be better and cheaper option. But then I'd need to pull my IDE HD.

I have a SATA laptop drive I'm considering connecting as well in place of my massive 80GB wide SCSI HDD . But it looks like it would be better hanging it off faster SCSI bus. However, a $300 adaptor for SCSI compared to a $5 adaptor for IDE makes this ridiculous.
Old 16 August 2018, 23:39   #10
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
Hello. Not to drag out an old thread but I am in the same situation. I'm looking for cheap card reader solution for my A4000. I started thinking reader to IDE (after I found USB to IDE was basically non-existent but preferred) but then my IDE ports are used up by a HD and DVD drive. And I have plenty of SCSI slots free on my cable.

So are there any cheap SCSI card readers still out there? I realise anything with SCSI means expensive. So perhaps not.

Reader to IDE may be better and cheaper option. But then I'd need to pull my IDE HD.

I have a SATA laptop drive I'm considering connecting as well in place of my massive 80GB wide SCSI HDD . But it looks like it would be better hanging it off faster SCSI bus. However, a $300 adaptor for SCSI compared to a $5 adaptor for IDE makes this ridiculous.

this is your best bet scsi2sd v6:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...oducts_id=1314

You dont mention if you are using wide scsi like Cyberstorm MKIII/PPC or 50 pin narrow?

Cheapest solution i know of unless u find a cheap acard-7720u scsi to ide bridge (hah good luck).

This is cheaper than a scsi card reader also and faster, just not hot swappable.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:12   #11
patrik

Another alternative is the CF AztecMonster. It is more expensive than the SCSI2SD, but is an Acard chip based product so it is generally very fast and compatible. Also has built-in terminator like the SCSI2SD.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:28   #12
Jope
-

There's also this Acard based unit http://zahermusic.com/store/products...lid-State-Disk (not sure if it will ever be available again :-)

Last edited by Jope; 17 August 2018 at 12:35.
Old 18 August 2018, 20:08   #13
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Another alternative is the CF AztecMonster. It is more expensive than the SCSI2SD, but is an Acard chip based product so it is generally very fast and compatible. Also has built-in terminator like the SCSI2SD.
I found one for sale in Belgium, seems popular with hi-end samplers
https://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muzie...446770460.html
Old 25 August 2018, 11:20   #14
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
There's also this Acard based unit http://zahermusic.com/store/products...lid-State-Disk (not sure if it will ever be available again :-)
yeah i snagged the last 1 on ebay from them its the red version that was months ago and they havent restocked on ebay or there website since

site with powermonsters never bought from there though
http://www.artmix.com/j_home.html
http://www.stratos-technology.com/cg...r&record_id=34

Last edited by nexus; 26 August 2018 at 02:39.
Old 26 August 2018, 02:31   #15
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Note that the AztecMonster doesn't work with Commodore SCSI controllers.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:21   #16
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Note that the AztecMonster doesn't work with Commodore SCSI controllers.
Strange, mine works with both my A2091 and A3000.

Might there be a problem with some scsi.device versions? The A2091 has scsi.device from the v7.0 A2091-ROMs and the A3000 has scsi.device from kickstart 3.1.