English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 July 2011, 05:22   #1
Pheonix

Emulation locks up on disk change

Attached find winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt. For some reason, the emulation will just lock up after a disk change. It doesn't always happen after every disk change, but I can always cause it by repeatedly changing disks until it does. I've never gotten above 5 changes before it locks up. The emulator is still running, I can call up options with F12 or call up a disk change with <END><F1>. I can even re-boot the emulation with <CTRL><WIN><WIN> and the emulation will run fine after that, until I've swapped out up to 5 disks and it locks up again. The logs will be of me forcing a freeze, removing disks, re-booting emulation (<C><W><W>,) then forcing another freeze.

Also, and this seems to be the only game that does this (yes, a different problem,) but for some reason Bard's Tale 1 refuses to load if I have a hard drive attached. It works just fine on my real system, with a hard drive, but in WinUAE it crashes rather catasrophically unless I remove all hard files & directories. I did a boot with just the hardfile attached that ended in a strange blue screen (see attached screenshot.) I did a boot with just the directory attached, same result. I did a boot with both removed and it booted just fine (see second screenshot.) I've done this with KS 1.2 (doesn't apply, no hard drive support in 1.2,) 1.3, 2.0, & 3.0 with the same results all around (log only includes the 1.3 boot.)

Total attachments:
2 screenshots explained above
bardlog.txt & bardboot.txt - the logs of faile Bard's Tale load
floppylog.txt & floppyboot.txt - the logs of the floppy crash

The bardlog.txt I had to truncate a LOT of lines because the forum wouldn't let me upload it (too large.) They were almost identical to the lines before & after the truncation notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot Disk_001.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	29015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot Disk_002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	29016  
Attached Files
File Type: txt bardboot.txt (10.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: txt bardlog.txt (63.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: txt floppyboot.txt (9.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt floppylog.txt (18.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 06 July 2011, 08:28   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
It works just fine on my real system, with a hard drive, but in WinUAE it crashes rather catasrophically unless I remove all hard files & directories.
It is normal. Very different hard drive controllers, probably different amount of buffers etc too..

Do you mean it "hangs" even when using WB floppies only?
Old 06 July 2011, 09:10   #3
Pheonix

I shoul have mentioned that the exact same image worked before. I had even attempted to try and get it to install to HDD, but was trying to figure out how to have it use the floppy to load the game and the HDD for everything else (copy protection & the WHDLoad for it assumes you have a cracked/unprotected disk.) Gave up on that, but it loaded fine even with the HDD.

As for the "hangs", the word sort of emplies that it will start working again if you give it time. I've let it sit there for 30 minutes with absolutely nothing. I just "insert" or "eject" a disk, and it doesn't finish the task (the drive doesn't "click",) the emulation just freezes up completely. I haven't actually tried it with WB floppies, but it has happened with several different games.
Old 12 July 2011, 13:40   #4
Pheonix

Update on the BT1 problem. It works fine if I use the A590/A2091 SCSI controller for the hardfile, and remove the directory hard drive. If I leave the directory it still crashes. Also, the exact same problem also occurs on Adventure Construction Set.

As for the emulation freeze. I'm now having a problem getting it to re-occur. I haven't changed anything. I made some images of my workbench disks (don't have IPF files of those,) and sat here swapping them in and out for about 15 minutes without a single problem. Since it happens on so many images, is it possable this is an IPF problem?
Old 12 July 2011, 14:56   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Update on the BT1 problem. It works fine if I use the A590/A2091 SCSI controller for the hardfile, and remove the directory hard drive. If I leave the directory it still crashes. Also, the exact same problem also occurs on Adventure Construction Set.
It only confirms it is HD controller specific, but I guess I can still make a quick check

Quote:
As for the emulation freeze. I'm now having a problem getting it to re-occur. I haven't changed anything. I made some images of my workbench disks (don't have IPF files of those,) and sat here swapping them in and out for about 15 minutes without a single problem. Since it happens on so many images, is it possable this is an IPF problem?
Open log window (use -log command line parameter). Do you see any interesting log message when it hangs? (or perhaps huge log message flood).
Old 12 July 2011, 16:27   #6
Pheonix

Yeah, I think you are most likely correct, it's the HDD controller.

As for the freeze problem.... I can't get it to do it again now... This is rather frustrating.