English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 May 2021, 02:01   #41
ExiE

It's a pity that you didn't get your hands on Supercars International DOS sources too
The movement of the cars, including drifting, look really cool in that version.
Old 18 May 2021, 06:08   #42
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
did you try CACHE on the normal ECS install to compare to? I'd be interested.
I did now, slight improvement, but what really makes scrolling smother/faster is adding 'NTSC' tool type (and setting 'CUSTOM3=1' to adjust score panel with + and - keys).
Old 18 May 2021, 19:16   #43
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I did check my archive and so will need to retouch some of the tunes but will put those in the zone once ready - which channels you might need free? 0 and 1 (first left and first right) or 2 and 3 (second left and second right)?
Old 19 May 2021, 19:15   #44
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Jotd - you have a PM
Old 19 May 2021, 20:54   #45
jotd
This cat is no more

thanks. I haven't checked the tunes or the channels that need to be free. I checked and of course ptreplay cannot reserve channels and play music tracks somewhere else. It probably is possible (swapping channels) but it could kill stereo effects so better change the sfx so they're played on the free channels that the module leaves.

I think a 3-channel would be possible too. But ATM working on AGA comm screens. Doing well. Going to replace the mod replay routine after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
It's a pity that you didn't get your hands on Supercars International DOS sources too
The movement of the cars, including drifting, look really cool in that version.
well, a x86 asm source isn't going to help a lot. I can read it (well, I used to crack DOS games in the 90's does that count?) but transposing it to the SC2 code is another story

Besides I don't like what they did to the gameplay very much. The graphics are better for the static screens (well more colors, a bit flashy but it shows a lot of colors) but for the in-game part I prefer Supercars 2. Controls & graphics... The only cool & cheap thing they did is to make the race go backwards on the same track. Easy reuse, and the race can be VERY different for some tracks.

Maybe I'll try to add some more blue to those green waters. Things like that. But not much. The backgrounds are beautiful specially the "grass" ones.
Old 19 May 2021, 21:16   #46
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

As far as i know Amos reserve what i call Channel 0 (first left) for sound effects, second might be channel 1 (first right) and so i made the tunes fit channels 2 and 3.
Those were made couple years ago so if you want three channel might need to do something from scratch or readapt things
Old 21 May 2021, 08:35   #47
jotd
This cat is no more

okay, new version in the zone.

communication screens are now AGA

traffic department is glitchy because I didn't handle the signs and all (well, apparently it can crash the game too...). The rest is working and colorful (and overscan )

Last edited by jotd; 21 May 2021 at 10:36.
Old 21 May 2021, 20:17   #48
mojox

Amazing work! Thank you for sharing your efforts @jotd
Old 22 May 2021, 10:41   #49
jotd
This cat is no more

another update in the zone. Commscreens update. Now signs displayed by the inspectors have been AGA-ized (a lot of gimp work ) and works fine.

Ransom1122 reported crashes after that particular commscreen. I hope it's gone, but I don't know, really...

Been replacing module player (will work at proper speed in NTSC) so soon there will be in-game music with 2-track songs composed by J.M.D aka saimon69.

Then we'll tackle the colored cars.
Old 28 May 2021, 23:01   #50
ascaaear

Wow. Its great to see someone is doing new stuff with SuperCars. Its one of my favorite games that I used to play all the time. Cant wait to see more from you JOTD.

I used to dream of making new tracks for this game to drive on. Perhaps thats beside your goal for this project - but is it even achiveable? I would be happy to try make one as a test if it sounds interesting to implement it.
Old 29 May 2021, 00:10   #51
jotd
This cat is no more

hi

made good progress with in-game AGA display. Original games uses EHB for shadows which means 32 colors + 32 same but dimmed colors for shadows.

I added one extra plane, which allows me 64 colors and I "emulated" EHB by choosing 64 same colors, but dimmed.

A lot of changes were necessary to make that work but it's pretty neat already. I changed opponent car colors (all the same for now, but pink, I know...) and changed water too. I tried to use modern brush but that would have used way too many colors. I only have 64 unique colors. Well it's nice enough

Also optimized for 68020 and all. Game is pretty well coded and clear, that helped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.png
Views:	422
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	72094

About adding new tracks: I still have to figure out some stuff but yes, it's definitely very possible and planned. I already have 2 custom created tracks from my old SC3 remake.

Last edited by jotd; 29 May 2021 at 00:17.
Old 29 May 2021, 00:23   #52
ransom1122

Excellent progress jotd. Custom tracks would be a game changer.
Old 29 May 2021, 01:10   #53
fgh

Great work, jotd!

It’s been a while, but I’ve finished hard levels a few times, and the AI has some glitches on one of the later levels (last one?), where AI cars often skip the lower part of the track and their laps are still counted.

Also the roundabout AI is not perfect. If the AI cars collide with other cars, they sometimes end up making shortcuts and they still get the lap counted. (ideally they’d have to turn around and try the roundabout again, like the player)

Also, I’d love an option to retract by 1px the collision detection on the track. (Every time I get back to the game I have to ‘relearn’ how aggressive the track collision detection is)

Not sure that kind of changes are planned, but anyway - keep up the great work!

Last edited by fgh; 29 May 2021 at 01:16.
Old 29 May 2021, 11:22   #54
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah the AI has some glitches. Because it's not AI. Cars follow the circuit and aren't supposed to cheat. Sometimes on collisions, they can make one more run in the roundabout, or just skip it

Fixing this would require a lot of rework. It's simpler that way. The average speed of the cars have been tuned so the level is still doable with those quirks.

Changing collision detection is problably not a big deal once I understood how the logic maps work. But not sure I'm going to change that either. It's a classic game. I'm going to try to enhance the visuals & sounds if I can but that's it.
Old 29 May 2021, 13:20   #55
alain.treesong
Aghnar

The same game with AGA graphics is already a big challenge and a great thing.
Thanks for the work jotd !
Old 29 May 2021, 13:44   #56
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
hi

made good progress with in-game AGA display. Original games uses EHB for shadows which means 32 colors + 32 same but dimmed colors for shadows.

I added one extra plane, which allows me 64 colors and I "emulated" EHB by choosing 64 same colors, but dimmed.

A lot of changes were necessary to make that work but it's pretty neat already. I changed opponent car colors (all the same for now, but pink, I know...) and changed water too. I tried to use modern brush but that would have used way too many colors. I only have 64 unique colors. Well it's nice enough

Also optimized for 68020 and all. Game is pretty well coded and clear, that helped.

Attachment 72094

About adding new tracks: I still have to figure out some stuff but yes, it's definitely very possible and planned. I already have 2 custom created tracks from my old SC3 remake.
I played this game a lot back in the day. I have to give this AGA version a try on my A1200. Thanks for doing this
Old 29 May 2021, 16:04   #57
Piramania

Thanks for the great work, jotd!
Super Cars II was one of my favourite Amiga games, so an enhanced version is something I have dreamed of since the 90'ies
Old 30 May 2021, 18:24   #58
jotd
This cat is no more

update: figured out a way to get different colors cars for enemies. It's not as easy as it could be even with 64 colors (128 with EHB) because you have to reuse the same set of BOBs for each color.

Original game uses the same set for red, green and gray car with some clever palette ordering & bitplane mask trick. I adapted this trick for one extra plane, providing 6 different colors for cars instead of 3. Plus the fact that gray isn't mandatory now (not shared with the road)

Also changed the dull green ponds by a simple 4 color water texture.

Small screenshot (I'm very happy about this!!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.png
Views:	254
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	72130
Old 30 May 2021, 19:00   #59
kriz

Really nice work here jotd!!
Old 30 May 2021, 20:58   #60
rare_j
Zone Friend

The car colours are really nice.
The blue for the water is a bit too bright (in my opinion) - perhaps thats just because I'm used to all the water being dull green!! Probably could do with being toned back just a little though.

I wonder if you're considering switches for these enhancements? Maybe command line options or icon tooltypes to turn various features off or on?

Really, this project is looking great.