Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 March 2014, 16:54   #581
Gordon
Settler

I wish it was all 2D
Old 04 March 2014, 17:18   #582
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I never used the direction icons with the mouse. Arrow keys+mouse and a fast Amiga. Works perfectly fine in 3D.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 04 March 2014 at 17:38.
Old 04 March 2014, 20:02   #583
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I wish it was all 2D
like Doom which is basically 2D game with 3D projection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I *never used the direction icons with the mouse. Arrow keys+mouse and a fast Amiga. Works perfectly fine in 3D.
1) how can I speed up UAE?
2) is there key for 90 degrees turn (beside right mouse click)?
- it would be perfect to have 90 degrees turn on keyboard and run-forward key on keyboard.

...and yes, direction keys with mouse are useless.

btw I just notice side effect of using UAE!
- if you use snapshot (or whatever is called option in UAE for saving Amiga state) you can easily ruin the game since Ambermoon save state of treasure chest on harddrive and personal possession in RAM. so if you e.g. take object from treasure chest and leave location and than load Amiga state before taking object from treasure chest and check again treasure chest there will be no objects (!!) since AmberMoon save state of treasure chest on harddrive!

EDIT: watching [ Show youtube player ] I understand why it takes 30+ hours to finish the game: you will spent 20+ hours in navigating through 3D corridors

Last edited by kovacm; 04 March 2014 at 20:12.
Old 04 March 2014, 20:40   #584
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I don't remember ever using the mouse to navigate. I thought I used the numerical keypad
Old 04 March 2014, 20:40   #585
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacm View Post
No i mean the top down view in ambermoon. I would like the whole game like that. Looks very nice to me.
Old 04 March 2014, 20:41   #586
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Use a 68030/40 setup with JIT enabled, CPU emulation speed = fastest possible. On real hardware i've played it with a Blizzard 1230@40Hz back then. That was smooth enough.
Old 04 March 2014, 21:03   #587
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Use a 68030/40 setup with JIT enabled, CPU emulation speed = fastest possible. On real hardware i've played it with a Blizzard 1230@40Hz back then. That was smooth enough.
thanx a million! I setup A4000 with JIT, fastest possible and now 3D part is perfectly smooth (but my MacBook tends to heat up )

@gordon and I would not mind if entire game was 2D top-view. Story and everything else is perfect

Last edited by kovacm; 04 March 2014 at 21:10.
Old 04 March 2014, 21:11   #588
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Strange thing is: The arrow key controls are faster/smoother on my current Amiga 1200 with an ACA1230@28Hz than WinUAE with an 68040+JIT.
Old 04 March 2014, 21:27   #589
kovacm
Banned

I use mouse in 3D window for control - keyboard commands in UAE are slow (it fells like keystroke are somehow emulated... note: I remap numerical keyboard to letters since my macbook does not have numerical keypad)
Old 04 March 2014, 21:30   #590
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, mouse controls in 3D window is perfectly smooth in WinUAE.

Quote:
keyboard commands in UAE are slow (it fells like keystroke are somehow emulated...
Should be another problem. Try Alien Breed 3D II with JIT. The arrow key controls is very fast and smooth.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 04 March 2014 at 21:39.
Old 05 March 2014, 11:11   #591
kovacm
Banned

^nevermind. now AmberMoon 3D part is quite playable and enjoyable (although still prefer tile based )

now I have two questions:

- potions for strength, dexterity... have permanent effects? for what than are used mushrooms in AmberMoon (red and blue) ?!?
- I just found Alkems Ring, very nice item! is there any chance to duplicate it (where I can find duplicate/copy scroll?) or somehow not to give Alkems his ring but still get access to shop? I suppose I can find empty vial somewhere else?...
Old 05 March 2014, 11:45   #592
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:

now I have two questions:

- potions for strength, dexterity... have permanent effects? for what than are used mushrooms in AmberMoon (red and blue) ?!?
- I just found Alkems Ring, very nice item! is there any chance to duplicate it (where I can find duplicate/copy scroll?) or somehow not to give Alkems his ring but still get access to shop? I suppose I can find empty vial somewhere else?...
Those Potions have permanent effects though the outcome of how much they increase stats is random i think it was 1-5 points.
Mushrooms are needed later for a Quest.
Alkems Ring can't be duplicated in a normal way only by using the built in ingame "cheat". The shop can only be accessed if you give him the Ring which is the way this game is meant to be played. You will find empty potions elsewhere in game.
Old 05 March 2014, 11:56   #593
kovacm
Banned

What is "built in ingame "cheat""?

so Alkems Ring can not be duplicated with Duplicate scroll? (I still do not have one, but I read that it exist at http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/...ual/spell.html
what objects can you duplicate with Duplicate scroll?)

regarding mushrooms: in AmberStar you use them to make potion for boosting stats so I was surprised when I saw that merchant in first city have unlimited supplies of blue mushrooms
Old 05 March 2014, 15:24   #594
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
According to that logic any game projected onto one or more 2D screens is 2D
Old 05 March 2014, 16:30   #595
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
According to that logic any game projected onto one or more 2D screens is 2D
I think that you did not understand me.
I am not talking about monitor surface but about fact that Doom is 2D game.
Dome does not know for 3D dimension. Everything is 2D with height attributes (wall, floor, celling) so you can create e.g stairs but you can not create room above room.
Doom can be perfectly played in 2D "map mode" (it is a little bit ugly and does not look like Doom we used to, but that is entire Doom game logic: 2D).
3D is used only to nicely presenting fairly simple 2D game (think about this: in Doom you can not shot above enemies head).
Old 07 March 2014, 12:02   #596
kovacm
Banned

hehe...

with Alkems Ring Nelvin have U-M 97% so he everytime successfully cast spell.

game now fell pretty easy... I need to find some more challenging opponents.
Old 07 March 2014, 12:44   #597
sokolovic

Quote:
I think that you did not understand me.
I am not talking about monitor surface but about fact that Doom is 2D game.
Dome does not know for 3D dimension. Everything is 2D with height attributes (wall, floor, celling) so you can create e.g stairs but you can not create room above room.
Doom can be perfectly played in 2D "map mode" (it is a little bit ugly and does not look like Doom we used to, but that is entire Doom game logic: 2D).
3D is used only to nicely presenting fairly simple 2D game (think about this: in Doom you can not shot above enemies head).
I remember reading that Doom is a "2D" game and also that Hired Guns was in fact a real 3D game !
Old 07 March 2014, 21:16   #598
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
What is "built in ingame "cheat""?

so Alkems Ring can not be duplicated with Duplicate scroll? (I still do not have one, but I read that it exist at http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/...ual/spell.html
what objects can you duplicate with Duplicate scroll?)

regarding mushrooms: in AmberStar you use them to make potion for boosting stats so I was surprised when I saw that merchant in first city have unlimited supplies of blue mushrooms
In Spannenberg you can reach a secret room where you can obtain ever item in the game and get some powerfull companions but as you are playing it first time i dont want to spoiler.

With duplication scroll i think you can't duplicate weapons or gear in any form but i can't remember exactly so i may be wrong.
Old 08 March 2014, 03:01   #599
Harry
HD Installer

If you have played Amberstar you might guess the word for the thieves guild riddle correctly and dont have to deliver the Necromants Brooch, however you are rewarded with a fireball for this. I used this brooch (10% bonus) and Morags Robe (also 10% bonus) to give Sabine and Nelvin a 100% spellcasting ability.

Duplication of the better items (e.g. with bonuses) is not possible with the duplication spell.

Also I played the game a bit differently: If you dont visit the bandits house, you can slay unlimited bandits in Spannenberg and level up to a level you desire (except that this becomes a bit boring after a while).
Old 10 March 2014, 13:04   #600
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
If you have played Amberstar you might guess the word for the thieves guild riddle correctly and dont have to deliver the Necromants Brooch, however you are rewarded with a fireball for this. I used this brooch (10% bonus) and Morags Robe (also 10% bonus) to give Sabine and Nelvin a 100% spellcasting ability.

Duplication of the better items (e.g. with bonuses) is not possible with the duplication spell.

Also I played the game a bit differently: If you dont visit the bandits house, you can slay unlimited bandits in Spannenberg and level up to a level you desire (except that this becomes a bit boring after a while).
It looks like that I must give Alkem his ring

there is no way to reach Burnville without Sobek ring!
- I do not have enough training points to boost swimming skill
- and I do not have enough Healing potions to survive swimming to Burnville

maybe if I had killed enough Bandits I would eventually have enough Training points but theres is no more enemies left in Lyramionic isle (I even kill Madman although I know that I should not do that since nothing happens after killing him... )