English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 August 2012, 17:22   #1
morningdoby

Lightbulb Treasure Trap pointers

Well, I hope this is the right place to post this- I just spent hours finishing this game that I could never finish as a child and since there are NO hints or walkthroughs anywhere online, I thought I would write some pointers for future treasure trap googlers.

Saving- if you are playing the PC version, consider playing this game with an amiga emulator because that allows you to save whenever you want, even mid jump.

Using the enviroment to bring gold to you- very often, you have to make monsters or objects go where you can't go and push out gold for you.

Using keys as obstacles and height boost- this is very important, you have to put keys on the ground to block and redirect movement of monsters and carts. In some cases you will also have to drop a key to give you a little boost before you jump on a high ledge.

Moving columns- if you reach a wall or column, sometimes they can be pushed around or taken apart even if it doesn't look like it. Try waking against or jumping up against the column/wall to see if it works. Sometimes it only works from one side...

keyboard- the default keyboard layout was impossible for me. I redefined the directional keys from the main screen and everything was much better after that.

Keys- I'm not sure how randomised the game is but it seems that all the triangle keys only have one door to open so it should be ok to leave the key somwhere near that door for when you need it, that way you have space for other keys.

Room 21- this one stumped me but then I realize you only have to push the crate in the middle towards the back wall (the wall that appears as total blackness).

Room 50- this is the last room in the game and only opens up once you finished all the others (have 350 gold). The anemona follows you around but only vertically. What worked for me is to lay down keys to move around the cart so that it ends going in the top right corner and pushing the safe near the small ledge, letting you simply climb over the safe and over the anemone.

Room 26- jump on the small ledges until 3-4 of them reach the floor and arrange them as a line which you will push under the anemones, so that the gold will slide out the other end.

Room 44- once you manipuate the fish into pushing out the box for you, you can just use the box to push away the jellyfish as long as you do it from the corner.

Room 81- the floating ledges are you way back so don't jump on them yet. Jump down and use keys to direct the crab into the other part of the room until it pushes out the gold for you. Move the box to jump over to where the key is, take the key and jump down again to collect the gold. Climb back on where the key was and make your way to the exit via the floating ledges.

Room 64- this one takes time... I think there are 3 piles of gold in tunnels inside the boxes and you have to position the crabs so that they will go inside and push out the gold for you. There is more gold on the moving platform, get up on it and jump.

Room 63 and 70- leave a key that will block the monster/cart, leave the room and reeneter, the key should block the monster/cart so they won't be able to push the gold to where you can't get to it.

That's it from the top of my head.

Old 30 August 2012, 21:12   #2
dirk_the_daring

I loved this game too...
Here you are a map, showing all rooms, gold (G), keys (symbols), oxygen (O), doors, key doors (small symbols).
A nice walkthrough was covered by a spanish magazine, indeed you will see some numbers in the map, with all these rooms are deeply explained, and some hint and tips for the whole game... But u need to understand spanish, if u think it can help you, just tell me.
I remember I could finish the game with that, and has a nice little outro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT Map.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	32499  
Old 30 August 2012, 23:25   #3
morningdoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_the_daring View Post
I loved this game too...
Here you are a map, showing all rooms, gold (G), keys (symbols), oxygen (O), doors, key doors (small symbols).
A nice walkthrough was covered by a spanish magazine, indeed you will see some numbers in the map, with all these rooms are deeply explained, and some hint and tips for the whole game... But u need to understand spanish, if u think it can help you, just tell me.
I remember I could finish the game with that, and has a nice little outro
Cool! I couldn't even find basic information about the game so a complete map is great. It's weird because I seem to remember the rooms changed every time I played it as a kid... I guess I just got lost over and over again

Old 31 August 2012, 00:33   #4
dirk_the_daring

The enemies guide says that there are some whirlpools that transport player ramdomly... Guess maybe is that what makes you remember (with the pass of time) about rooms changing locations.
Old 27 November 2015, 21:33   #5
Fiery Phoenix

An underrated classic

No longplay for this nor (I think) a version with a trainer and I aways wondered what the final surprise is that the manual states,

Came across some hints in an old ZERO magazine I was going through (issue 10) which has some tips and help on rooms 37, 60, 63, 64 and 76
Old 27 November 2015, 22:43   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
No longplay for this nor (I think) a version with a trainer
WHDLoad version has several trainer options.
Old 27 November 2015, 23:39   #7
Fiery Phoenix

See it now. Thanks - will try and go for the gold myself and just use save states
Old 29 November 2015, 16:54   #8
Fiery Phoenix

Managed to complete it without a trainer - but with shed loads of save states

Excellent game - I had 340 gold bars and was stuck in room 21 (mentioned above) then I figured out what you had to do - my heart was in my mouth - so worried only one part of gold would come out (worth 5 pieces) leaving me 5 short to complete the game (and I could have missed that piece anywhere!) Really didn't fancy going back looking for it.

Thank God when I saw 2 pieces of gold giving me 350. I thought I would walk into room 50 and be presented with the ending - oh no. Whilst the mine shield had been removed there was one that kept following me - I could not get the gold pieces at the bottom of the screen. Figured out what to do - moved the cart so it would go along a path and push a safe to the top of the screen - I moved near this - so did the mine - the safe acted as a magnet and the mine was stuck to it.

I could collect the pieces and you get a grand total of 400. Gives you the chance to save your score and view the map one last time.

The ending is presented - not as good as the excellent intro - plus no sound at all which is a bit of a shame. However you are presented with an animated pic of your character with a pipe leading from a beach hut bar into his mouth - he is flat out, but manages to give you a final thumb's up. Still better than most endings.

Just have to say what an absolute this game was to play and complete - not been hooked like this for a long time, mapped it (I think only I could understand the map I did!) and there were some times when I realised I left a key behind which I needed (as you can only carry 3 at a time) so had to go all the way back.

Some really good puzzle design here - really up there with the best games on the Amiga imho - especially if you like this type of game (thinking Head Over Heels)

Phew - time for a rest
Old 29 November 2015, 17:57   #9
Fiery Phoenix

Here is the end screen - I uploaded it to YouTube:

[ Show youtube player ]