English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 March 2011, 00:00   #1961
Toof

I've gone through it methodically this afternoon and tried pretty much every combination of ACATune options with no luck. I'm running 3.1 ROMs in a 1B revision mboard, so it doesn't look like it's a jumper issue......ggrrrr

Probably an obscure card/adapter combination problem, so I'll pick up a different size Sandisk and see what happens.
Old 28 March 2011, 10:34   #1962
Schoenfeld
electricky.

A1200 accelerators should have no problem accessing PCMCIA - if in doubt, try without accelerator and get it working first. Then try with accelerator and go through the ACAtune settings, but also try switching *off* iCache in order to slow the machine down (note that some PCMCIA adapters and/or CF cards are really slow!).

For ACA630, there might be the chance that you need a firmware upgrade. You can test this by removing all jumpers: If PCMCIA works without jumpers, but does not work with BootSel or NoDisk jumper set, then you need a firmware upgrade. This is handled under warranty and has been done for a number of customers already - please contact your reseller about this if you have trouble like that.

Note that all new ACA630 have this PCMCIA fix already.

Jens
Old 28 March 2011, 19:13   #1963
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Jens,

Thanks for the reply.

I still can't get PCMCIA working on my A1200 with ACA1230/28

My Motherboard Revision is 1D1, I don't know if you or maybe even FOL had any PCMCIA problems with this revision?

I've tried with ACATune Enabled/Disabled and every option individually and serveral combinations, if the ACA is connected the PCMCIA does not work properly.

I have 3.0 Roms (Jumper in place) and use Maprom to kick 3.1, I've also tried with Maprom Disabled.

My CF Adapter shows up the CF card as CF0:NDOS and if I try to use my Netgear MA401 the System locks up as soon as the Prism2.device is accessed.

Of course I have all the correct drivers/libs/file systems installed, if you look at my Sig you might notice I'm not really a novice.

I swapped out the ACA for my 4mb upgrade and everything is working fine so I know the PCMCIA port its self is functional.

Any help appreciated before I pop this ACA1230/28 back up for sale.

Cheers.

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 28 March 2011 at 19:18. Reason: typo
Old 28 March 2011, 19:30   #1964
kipper2k

Did you try cleaning the edge connector for the ACA card? it is possible that one of the signals is dirty, maybe slide it on and off a few times to try to score the traces a little. I always use green plastic scouring pad to clean them. When i was building the cf adapters i was getting that message occasionally. Once i flushed the pins in isopropyl it would clear up.
Old 28 March 2011, 19:31   #1965
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Steve my friend do you have CardReset, CardPatch after ACATune declaration?
I had the lock-up when my 3Com (3c589.device) was accessed by Genesis under A600 and ACA630. Luckily CardPatch fixed the issue (CardReset is not needed) although everyone claims that A600 doesn't need any of these 2 utils for PCMCIA to work correctly.
Dunno if I'm too unlucky or both my boards were some evil Commodore ones (lol) but I had this issue in 2 revisions (1.5 and 2D) in the past and both worked just fine after CardPatch command.
Old 28 March 2011, 19:56   #1966
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the replys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Did you try cleaning the edge connector for the ACA card? it is possible that one of the signals is dirty, maybe slide it on and off a few times to try to score the traces a little. I always use green plastic scouring pad to clean them. When i was building the cf adapters i was getting that message occasionally. Once i flushed the pins in isopropyl it would clear up.
Hey Kipper,

I didn't try cleaning it as otherwise the A1200 is working perfect, just put the screws back in but will give that a shot next time the lids off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Steve my friend do you have CardReset, CardPatch after ACATune declaration?
I had the lock-up when my 3Com (3c589.device) was accessed by Genesis under A600 and ACA630. Luckily CardPatch fixed the issue (CardReset is not needed) although everyone claims that A600 doesn't need any of these 2 utils for PCMCIA to work correctly.
Dunno if I'm too unlucky or both my boards were some evil Commodore ones (lol) but I had this issue in 2 revisions (1.5 and 2D) in the past and both worked just fine after CardPatch command.
Hi Marios,

Yes, I have these installed and they're after ACA Tune then next I have C:SetPrism2Defaults... etc

I forgot to mention that in my other post.

At a loss as to what I should try next

Steve.
Old 28 March 2011, 21:16   #1967
ndial

I've sold my original Commodore A1200 with no E123C-E125C caps and still having all these issues (unstabale,pcmcia not working etc) described here, and I've got a NOS Amiga Technologies A1200 ... everything worked fine now with my 1230/28!
Old 28 March 2011, 22:46   #1968
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndial View Post
I've sold my original Commodore A1200 with no E123C-E125C caps and still having all these issues (unstabale,pcmcia not working etc) described here, and I've got a NOS Amiga Technologies A1200 ... everything worked fine now with my 1230/28!
You cant go by that, I have seen atleast 4 to 6 boards, same rev play up.
Some with E123C, E125C removed,
Some with E123R, E125R removed,
Some with all removed.

However I have seen another 4 to 6, same rev all work perfect.
Old 28 March 2011, 22:48   #1969
ndial

so it's pure luck then! we all agree on that aren't we?
eitherway I've previously described my bad-luck experience with the ACA and needed to introduce my...solution for which I'm quite happy and satisfied for now.

Last edited by ndial; 28 March 2011 at 22:54.
Old 29 March 2011, 13:29   #1970
Mr B

My 1230/56 arrived today. Later on to day i'll try and walk over to my mate where the Amiga is set up, and install it / see if it behaves. However, i was under the impression that there "should" be a floppy with the ACA tune software in the package. which seams to have been a mistake on my part, there isn't. I'll have to pull the harddrive, hook it to my laptop, with a USB caddy, and push things over. Shouldn't be a problem... If i could remeber how to do it ;- )

I'll play with it all night if i have to, (Well, until i get thrown out. Still cant use the Amiga here at home, the TV wont display it.) and will report how it turned out.
B!
Old 29 March 2011, 14:02   #1971
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Floppy was a little gift from Amigakit - not intended to be part of the package.

If you really get stuck I'd put it on a floppy for you
Old 29 March 2011, 14:58   #1972
Mr B

Ah. Well, i didn't get mine from AmigaKit, so there you go. (They were all sold-out)

I think i'll get around it. Seams to have become a lot easier to use a harddrive with WinUAE then it was the last time i tried that... (ok, so i've just read up on it, haven't tried yet, no access to the Amiga yet) Once the Amiga harddrive is recognized by WinUAE, it should just be a matter of moving files, and install the drive back in the A1200.

I'll remember your offer, should i run in to trouble.
Thanks.
B!
Old 29 March 2011, 15:15   #1973
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndial View Post
so it's pure luck then! we all agree on that aren't we?
I don't agree. AmigaKit has sent me a Rev 1.D4 board that supposedly has the "graphics garbage" problem, but I haven't been able to reproduce the bug. Vesalia has sent back a few ACA1230 that supposedly show 0MB of memory, but they show all 64M on all boards here.

I will continue to investigate this, and up to now, it seems like those boards that misbehave at the customer's site behave perfectly well here in the shop. It may well be a power supply ripple problem, and I have more than one idea how to fix it - maybe even on the ACA1230 side.

I'll keep you informed. If you want to help, try to see if there's a difference with a different power supply.

Jens
Old 29 March 2011, 15:40   #1974
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I don't agree. AmigaKit has sent me a Rev 1.D4 board that supposedly has the "graphics garbage" problem, but I haven't been able to reproduce the bug.
Really, now that is odd.

I tried a few ACA's in it and all showed corruption, I tried a few PSU's still same problem.
It only seemed to show problems when filling ram and clicking round the screen, try making selection boxes.

I also removed E123R and E125R, which made it much more stable.
Try readding them, You should be able to reproduce it then.

On side note, I have had a few show up with 0MB, I thought it was just me.
I just put them on a different board and they seemed to work, so I thought nothing of it.
Old 29 March 2011, 15:42   #1975
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the reply's.

I'll try my ATX PSU later, I've been using an A500 brick on the ACA till now.

The ATX is driving a BPPC/Bvision setup so that should rule out power as an issue.

Will report back

Steve.
Old 29 March 2011, 16:03   #1976
thgill

Was getting ready to order another ACA1230/28 from AmigaKit and all this talk is making me nervous.

I have an ATX psu I use with my Amiga's, so hopefully power quality isn't an issue.
Old 29 March 2011, 18:12   #1977
Toof

Thanks for the replies Jens and others

Still no joy here after turning icache off and slowing the machine as much as I can. I run mine from an ATX PSU, so I'm doubtful it's power related problem with my setup.....another motherboard is arriving tomorrow, so hopefully I might get some joy with it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 29 March 2011, 18:48   #1978
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Just a quick update.

ATX PSU made no difference, still same issue so I took the plunge and pulled all the BPPC/BVision out of my other A1200.

ACA seems to be working fine including PCMCIA with 1D4 Motherboard, this has also had the Eyetech fixes applied.

I guess I can do the switcheroo full time as long as my BPPC, etc work with the 1D1 board which I'm pretty sure they will.

So it would seem to be a revisional issue although my 1D4 board has 3.1 Roms, I don't think thats making any difference since I've MapRom'ed 3.1 off the ACA anyway.

@Jens, is there any further info you need/want whilst I have these cases open?

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 29 March 2011 at 18:49. Reason: typo
Old 29 March 2011, 19:08   #1979
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
So it would seem to be a revisional issue although my 1D4 board has 3.1 Roms, I don't think thats making any difference since I've MapRom'ed 3.1 off the ACA anyway.
Nope and this is the problem, it seems to be different on same revs, .
Old 30 March 2011, 19:36   #1980
Toof

I think I've located the problem, but not before tearing my hair out a little more.

It would appear to be my 4GB CF HD card or it's adaptor. I tested the new 1D.1 board and all appeared fine booting from the floppy PCMCIA utility...hurray I thought, cracked it. However after loosely assembling everything and booting from the HD, I got the dreaded CF0:NDOS once more. Knowing the only difference in hardware was the HD, I disconnected it and voila, it saw the CF0: perfectly. Interestingly the system sees CF0: if I use my old fashioned Hitachi 60MB HD

As an aside, after a few minutes the system became unstable and would lock up randomly. Checked everything and started swearing again. Did a bit of research online and I found a couple of instances of 1D.1 giving the same symptoms with Apollo accelerators. One guy involved tried everything until applying the 1D.4 timing fixes, which cured the problem. I've just done the same and it's been running stable all afternoon

Now all I have to do is try another combination of CF HD to cure the original problem.