English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 March 2002, 00:35   #1
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Exclamation AIAB V's Amiga 4 Ever

I have recently purchased Cloantos Amiga Forever 5 and wondered a few things.

As I have always used AIAB I was wondering which of the 2 packages you guys prefered and why ??

I know with Amiga4ever you get the kickstarts and stuff but AIAB is FREE.

Please let me know your comments
Old 04 March 2002, 00:45   #2
Zeewolf

Ive just purchased Amiga forever 5.0 for £39.99 & i'd also like to get peoples opinions on the subject!

I had AF 3.0 & thought i'd get the new version, do you guys think ive wasted my money?

thanx guys

Old 04 March 2002, 00:51   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Well ....

I think Amiga Forever is shite, AIAB as a workbench type thing is far better than the pap that is Amiga Forever

It all depends on your stance on the whole kickstart rom issue, if you care about being "legal" with your emu exploits then it's a good purchase.

If you couldn't give a stuff about that then you've wasted your money IMO.

I personally wouldn't buy it, for 40 quid you can buy a real Amiga with loads of extras on ebay, much more worth while purchase if you ask me
Old 04 March 2002, 02:22   #4
Amiga1992

Indeed.

Sorry, but IMO too, it's money thrown into the bucket... You could buy a proper Amiga with the kind of cash you pay for that crap.
Old 04 March 2002, 08:57   #5
khephren

I hated Amiga Forever 4.

All you are paying for is the license for proper re legal Kickstart ROM, the naff workbench setup is a piss poor extra that sadly isn't optional.
Old 04 March 2002, 09:50   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I just downloaded a cracked version of Amiga Forever. I want to buy an Amiga 1200 now.
Really.
Garbage.
Old 04 March 2002, 10:24   #7
utri007
mä vaan

AIAB is doing goog job, but personal opinoin of mine is: I don't wanna use WB replacements. I don't wanna have in my amiga Windows style task bar.

That last one is biggest poin, ofcource I can turn it off

About amiga forever, not that well conficured as AIAB, not a worth of money. datatypes etc....

I don't have any experiment about Amiga OS XL, just hope it's not one of those "get all money what you can get" things, like Amiga forever is.

I like to make my WB myself, ofcouse AIAB gives those who don't have needed knowledke to easy way get nice looking WB.
Old 04 March 2002, 14:16   #8
RetroMan

I think AmigaForever is a good thing for people that do not own a real Amiga and want to purchase the Amiga Kickstart Roms and WB´s "legally" But if you got access to a real Amiga, you can dump those Roms yourself and are also allowed to do so "legally" !

Anyway, since I do not emulate anymore (at least not for gaming or something like that, only for testing purposes) I cannot really give good advice here, this is only my 2 cent
Old 04 March 2002, 15:58   #9
Amiga1992

The thing is, Retro, that it costs too much IMO. You can nab an A500 for that price!

Hey, I am glad you dont emulate anymroe
Old 04 March 2002, 16:48   #10
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Hey, I am glad you dont emulate anymroe
I don't emulate as much as I did and now I got my new Competition Pro game pad from http://amigastuff.co.uk/ I will be using the emulators less.

It is a shame my eject button on my A600HD internal disk drive went "ping" but my dad did manage to get the spring back on the button but now some disks do not eject and I have to use Tweezers to help them out.
Old 04 March 2002, 22:47   #11
Amiga1992

Congratulations Paul

BTW I can hook you up with the A600 drive's eject button spring, or any otehr part you need fromn it. I got my broken A600 drive around here...

I assume you have a Panasonic JU-237 (or similar) drive inside? if so, I can mail you the parts immediately.

Let me know.
Old 04 March 2002, 23:53   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Dicks. All these broken parts and pings proves my point that emulation is the future of gaming on everything from Vectrex to Amiga. There will be less and less working machines every year that passes. I am certain , though, that I enjoyed my games more when I owned a used Atari St than the emus. There definitely is a better feel on the real thing.
Whores
Old 05 March 2002, 04:29   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I quite agree with Fred, it was much more cooler when I used to play with my Amiga or MSX than with emulators...

In the MSX times, there was this excitement, when you found a guy who also had an MSX, then you would compare your list of games with his , and the next day you would rush to his house with a couple of disks and copy lots of games. Then you would rush back home, with the heart full of excitement, then you would give a "files" command and see all those files and wonder what each game looked by the filename...

THen it came the Amiga... every week I called the pirate dealer here, to see if he had new games... I miss changing disks, it was kind of fun, I guess...to hear cracktro music.. geez, I even got to the point when I memorized (by seeing how many times the disk-drive led flashed) when I had to change disks in many games, and I changed the disk before the game request...

That time was cool... emulation sux a lot.
Old 05 March 2002, 04:43   #14
Amiga1992

Fred can't defend emulation. See, he says "I just downloaded a cracked version of Amiga Forever. I want to buy an Amiga 1200 now. Really. Garbage.", and then "I am certain , though, that I enjoyed my games more when I owned a used Atari St than the emus. There definitely is a better feel on the real thing. "

Come on Frederica, you miss the real thing! stop emulating! Dont tell me you dont miss the days of floppy disks going corrupT! What do you diss now? an ADF? come on!

One of my fondest memoeries of back then, is going to the pirate fuckwit to return a game that he copied wrongly or that he copied onto a faulty disk (X-Copy errors most times, sometimes he had a screwed up copy and he had to go find a proper one before replacing my disk)
Old 05 March 2002, 09:21   #15
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Congratulations Paul

BTW I can hook you up with the A600 drive's eject button spring, or any otehr part you need fromn it. I got my broken A600 drive around here...

I assume you have a Panasonic JU-237 (or similar) drive inside? if so, I can mail you the parts immediately.

Let me know.
Thanks, but before asking you to go to the hassle of mailing the parts would the disk drive in the fried A500Plus be compatible with the A600HD if I replaced it? As long as it does not involve cutting wires.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:37   #16
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Anyone that says the future of amiga is the emulation either :

a.) Doesn't have a real Amiga
b.) Hasn't played a REAL Amiga in quite some time...

I used the emulators for a long time, but then I got my hands on a real A1200 and there is NOTHING that would make me go back to emulators for playing the games. The original is so much better that it hurts. And I have a FAST (1.6Ghz) PC with a good graphics card (TV Out and everything).
Old 05 March 2002, 12:41   #17
oldpx

There's nothing like the real thing. Even though a new Amiga won't be out soon (or ever), classic amigas and their spareparts should be manufactured, maybe in small quantities but there are still people who need them. But I don't expect this from Amiga inc.

Old 05 March 2002, 12:56   #18
utri007
mä vaan

If new amiga is not out two months I go to centrum... naked and put two photos to zone.

First me naked on centrum
second how polices react

Ofcource if it's Okei
Old 05 March 2002, 12:57   #19
oldpx

LOL
ok ok it'll be out I believe it'll be out

Old 05 March 2002, 18:13   #20
Ian
Global Moderator

What will be out though, Utri007's **ahem** private bits or the new Amiga??