English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2004, 13:36   #21
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Handhelds...I always thought of them as consoles (personally).

And Akira has a point. Does an add-on device count? I was of the mind when I started this thread that true backwards compatibility was built in. It is likely therefore that his list is pretty much the definitive one.

Not to say Im not amused by hearing about these adaptors mind. I only ever knew about the Master System/Mega Drive one before this. I gather that these add-ons contained some or all the hardware from the lesser machine then? - using the advanced machine as a slave?

FromWithins anecdote about the SNES is also fascinating. Between that and the CD debacle, seems Nintendo's development of it wasnt straightforward. Hehe as a side note, I read on a website recently that apparently at one stage the big N considered selling the Famicom under the Atari brand! Is this true? Would be amusing if it was. Just imagine if it had happened eh?

I hadnt included computers as I thought it a lot more prevalent. Perhaps this was a misguided viewpoint though.
Old 13 January 2004, 14:44   #22
Dizzy
Pirate

You have to accept add-on. The MD/Genesis is backward campatilbe with mastergames, but the games only fit if you have an add-on. Its a pure fitting problem.
Old 13 January 2004, 16:26   #23
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by khephren
ZX81 games on a Speccy 48
Are you sure? I seem to remember having a lot of trouble doing this. Even typing them in by hand didn't work.

Also ZX80 on ZX81 didn't work IIRC.
Old 13 January 2004, 17:02   #24
Bad Mr Frosty

Jumping on the handheld bandwagon, the Neo Pocket Color plays Neo Pocket games.
Old 13 January 2004, 19:29   #25
Amiga1992

Mr Frosty: Thanks! HOW could I forget my favorite handheld console in my list!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
You have to accept add-on. The MD/Genesis is backward campatilbe with mastergames, but the games only fit if you have an add-on. Its a pure fitting problem.
Bollocks, the architechture of an MD is VERY different to that of a Master System. The Adapter is not an adapter as son, it DOES have circuitry in it that makes the games run. I beg you to try and make a straightforward adapter for yoru MS carts to fit in an MD, it will blow up the cart and/or console. Do you reckon the SuperGameboy addon is just an adapter as well? What about the Gamecube's GBA Player?

The only case where an adapter is used, and I could of accept backward compatibility, is the game Gear. The game geaar IS a Master System on acid. So the Mastergear Converter just maps the MS cart pinout to the GG cart pinout.

Other addons are to be ruled out. Only adapters would count.
Old 13 January 2004, 19:43   #26
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Thats only through software emulation. You dont think a new PC is backward compatible with an amiga do you?

I assumed being able to use the original game media on a newer system with no modifications was the intent of this thread.
Well, Sega released the Sega Smash pack, which handled Genesis and Saturn games flawlessly. Does that still count?
Old 13 January 2004, 20:17   #27
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Bollocks, the architechture of an MD is VERY different to that of a Master System. The Adapter is not an adapter as son, it DOES have circuitry in it that makes the games run. I beg you to try and make a straightforward adapter for yoru MS carts to fit in an MD, it will blow up the cart and/or console. Do you reckon the SuperGameboy addon is just an adapter as well? What about the Gamecube's GBA Player?
I've been trying to find info on this and it looks like the Megadrive was hardware compatible with the Master System. The Master System has a 4MHz Z80 CPU, the same as the Megadrive's sound processor. Both use character-based graphics. I found mention of one version of the Master System Converters being "pass-through" device.

I also found this:

"An example of a pure hardware emulator would be the Sega Genesis/Megadrive's VDP mode 4 - this converts the console into a functional Sega Master System emulator running entirely on its internal hardware, and is activated via a special code received from the console's cartridge port."

Says it all, really.
Old 13 January 2004, 20:30   #28
cv643d

I think it downloads the SMS bios from the addon and then the Genesis rebots with it.
Old 13 January 2004, 20:46   #29
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Fascinating stuff FromWithin and cv643d!
I guess the SNES/NES thing might have worked on a similiar principle if they had gone any further with the idea.
Old 13 January 2004, 20:55   #30
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Mr Frosty: Thanks! HOW could I forget my favorite handheld console in my list!!!

The only case where an adapter is used, and I could of accept backward compatibility, is the game Gear. The game geaar IS a Master System on acid. So the Mastergear Converter just maps the MS cart pinout to the GG cart pinout.

Other addons are to be ruled out. Only adapters would count.
Thx for the nice reply but I got the same info as FromWithin. I think you could find these info on many Sega site.
Old 13 January 2004, 23:59   #31
Amiga1992

Guess I'm a fucktard, as S.Campbell would like to say :P

That's some bloody strange thing going on in there. That means the Megadrive has to be added, but NOT just any adapter. My example on SuperGameboy still remains, and there's also some addons for the PSX to play GB games and others.

There IS a NES to SNES addon, do you reckon it would work in a similar way to the Genesis thing?
Old 14 January 2004, 03:17   #32
adolescent