English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 August 2019, 21:18   #1
apocalypse2012

Question Vampire expansion

I just got a new Vampire board in my 500, but haven’t yet purchased the add-ons. Will be getting the network interface and the ide/cf card of course, but I am unsure about the JTAG connector. Is this usable for general USB functionality, or just updating the firmware?

Cheers
Old 14 August 2019, 21:39   #2
TuKo
Apollo Team

JTAG is only for updating/rescueing the firmware
Old 14 August 2019, 22:17   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

There is no USB interface for the Vampire (at least not yet)
Old 14 August 2019, 23:15   #4
rbm

The Vampire 500 V2+ does not have usb, but the Rapidroad from Individual Computers works like a charm. You only need a clockport adaptor.
Old 15 August 2019, 00:09   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

In my opinion the USB port is very important because it allows you to boot live systems, make fast Beckup, connect many useful peripherals such as Pendrive, HD External, Mobile phones and more
Old 16 August 2019, 15:08   #6
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post
The Vampire 500 V2+ does not have usb, but the Rapidroad from Individual Computers works like a charm. You only need a clockport adaptor.
I've read lots of people complaining about the RapidRoad dying on them. IS that just true of older revisions? I have to say all the icomp stuff I have so far has been rock-solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
In my opinion the USB port is very important because it allows you to boot live systems, make fast Beckup, connect many useful peripherals such as Pendrive, HD External, Mobile phones and more
You can connect Ethernet to the expansion port, which will do your backup. Obviously not going to help with USB peripherals though.

And good luck Apocalypse2012 with your new Vampire - easilly the best piece of hardware I own (apart from the actual Amiga it's in of course!).
Old 16 August 2019, 16:26   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
I've read lots of people complaining about the RapidRoad dying on them. IS that just true of older revisions? I have to say all the icomp stuff I have so far has been rock-solid.
Not sure if there are multiple revisions of RR but those issues are still very much a thing. It seems like you should be fine if you only use it for things like keyboards, mice and USB memory sticks. Stay clear of powered hubs or other externally powered devices. Even so, my RRs are a bit fiddly and the USB stack (or the RR) tends to crash from time to time so I have to reset the entire machine to get it working again. I'd say that 'works like a charm' is very much stretching the truth..
Old 17 August 2019, 14:53   #8
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Not sure if there are multiple revisions of RR but those issues are still very much a thing. It seems like you should be fine if you only use it for things like keyboards, mice and USB memory sticks. Stay clear of powered hubs or other externally powered devices. Even so, my RRs are a bit fiddly and the USB stack (or the RR) tends to crash from time to time so I have to reset the entire machine to get it working again. I'd say that 'works like a charm' is very much stretching the truth..
Crashing from time to time is one thing, burning out is another. Can it handle USB hard disks?
Old 17 August 2019, 16:23   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

I have used a 500GB USB HDD with mine a couple of times and it worked fine, however I would only do that if you have not powered the RR from the floppy power header since the motherboard was not designed to handle so much current through there.
Old 17 August 2019, 16:31   #10
jarp

Two RapidRoads self destructed when I plugged in 1) PCMCIA card 2) USB memory stick. First one I bothered to send back for replacemet second one no. There must be some kind of design flaw in RR. It is pity since I really liked USB...
Old 18 August 2019, 09:22   #11
rbm

The RapidRoads not self destructed. They are destructed due to inadequate PSU. I destructed one using a Meanwell PSU but since I am using the original A500 4.5A PSU I have not had any problems.

You must use the RapidRoad with a PSU where the 5V supply is the main regulation rail.
Old 18 August 2019, 09:45   #12
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
The RapidRoads not self destructed. They are destructed due to inadequate PSU. I destructed one using a Meanwell PSU but since I am using the original A500 4.5A PSU I have not had any problems.
That doesn't make much sense. Just because one was destroyed with a MW PSU that doesn't mean that the PSU was to blame.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:14   #13
rbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
That doesn't make much sense. Just because one was destroyed with a MW PSU that doesn't mean that the PSU was to blame.
I don´t blame the MW PSU, I can only say that is not suitable for usb hot plugging. I have followed the PSU recommendations from icomp and the problem has gone.
Old 19 August 2019, 11:16   #14
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I don´t blame the MW PSU, I can only say that is not suitable for usb hot plugging. I have followed the PSU recommendations from icomp and the problem has gone.
Again, a sample size of one is not something you can deduct any conclusions from. It is likely just coincidental.
Old 20 August 2019, 13:16   #15
jarp

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what property of non-Amiga PSUs will kill peripherals when hotplugged? Will they send huge voltage spike to the system when hot-plug is detected?
Old 20 August 2019, 13:47   #16
daxb

This could be the reason. It depends on how the PSU regulate "some" Ampere power change. If the voltage goes up/down at this peak it can destroy electronics that don't like this (if working out of specification).
Old 20 August 2019, 14:31   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
This could be the reason. It depends on how the PSU regulate "some" Ampere power change. If the voltage goes up/down at this peak it can destroy electronics that don't like this (if working out of specification).
Unless the PSU is faulty, voltage regulation should not the problem. Mean Well is a well-reputed PSU manufacturer so they should not suffer from bad regulation and even with larger current spikes, I would expect the voltage to be regulated within +/- a few 10mV. The problem is more likely to be an ESD issue due to a difference in voltage potential between the Amiga and the peripheral being connected. If the peripheral is unpowered, it will quickly align its voltage potential with the Amiga when the USB shield touches (as it is designed to do before any other connection), but if the equipment is externally powered, its power supply could cause a larger current surge when the grounds connect, particularly if the supply is not floating relative to the Amiga.