English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 29 February 2012, 01:03   #221
lesta_smsc

If you don't need opengl or fancy menu, it might be work just making it basic - would make the emulator run faster in general too!

Yes - first find the 'crappy' computer! :P
Old 29 February 2012, 01:10   #222
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
If you don't need opengl or fancy menu, it might be work just making it basic - would make the emulator run faster in general too!
No, this is not true: OpenGL does make it go faster -compared to many alternatives. There really is no other common multi-platform API which allows fast rendering offloaded from the CPU with fullscreen scaling _and_ allows you to synchronize to vblank intervals.

-And the "fancy menu" does not make the emulation slower since it is not rendered when it is not open.

My point was that I can use older OpenGL features to make it more compatible with older OpenGL-capable graphics cards and drivers.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 29 February 2012 at 17:02.
Old 29 February 2012, 01:46   #223
lesta_smsc

Ah - that would be useful (for me!)... Not all clued up with these software issues, but presumably graphics card is ok as it runs emulation/amiga part just fine
Old 29 February 2012, 07:16   #224
nexusle
Banned

Hey Frode

any improvements for USB joypads/-sticks on Mac OS X? Can't use my "NO NAME" joypad. In E-UAE it's no problem.
Old 29 February 2012, 07:35   #225
1time
Amiga Lover

Frode! .. So happy to see your work.. Many thanks!!
Old 29 February 2012, 16:02   #226
AnnaWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
My point was that I can use older OpenGL features to make it more compatible with older OpenGL-cabable graphics cards and drivers.
Nice
Quote:
Ah - that would be useful (for me!)... Not all clued up with these software issues, but presumably graphics card is ok as it runs emulation/amiga part just fine
Not only for you.

Old 29 February 2012, 17:54   #227
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Yes - first find the 'crappy' computer! :P
Managed to dig out an Acer Aspire One, which has Intel 945 graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Hey Frode
any improvements for USB joypads/-sticks on Mac OS X? Can't use my "NO NAME" joypad. In E-UAE it's no problem.
You can use any joystick/gamepad which is recognized by Mac OS X. You need to create a config for it -it is easy! -but the howto in the README wasn't that good.

I have improved the howto and put in on the web:
http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/custom...-configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Frode! .. So happy to see your work.. Many thanks!!
You're welcome
Old 01 March 2012, 09:13   #228
PHabermehl

Hello Frode,

just tested OpenSuse 12.1 / German Keyboard Layout / fs-uae 0.911beta1

and besides of the special keys of my multimedia keyboard, it seems to work fine.

Thank you!
Peter
Old 02 March 2012, 13:55   #229
mulder77

Hi,

after readind since some time here at the forums, I decided to register as fs-uae is really drawing my attention.
First of all, thanks for your good work so far. It is really fun using it, the netplay feature is a star!

But I'd like to understand why the performance of the emulation is not that good compared to WinUAE.

My system has a Athlon X2 240 CPU, so 2.8 GHz max per core.
I am running Linux Mint 12 and I tried both, the precompiled 64bit Debian package, but also a self-compiled version on my system.

With default values, the CPU usage while running Pinball Dreams (model set to A500) is roughly at 150-160%.

When I boot Windows and run the same game in WinUAE, the CPU usage is at roughly 30-40%.

Besides that, my oppinion is, that the same game runs smoother within WinUAE than in fs-uae.

Is there a good explanation? Or is my system setup somehow wrong possibly?

Thanks
Markus

Old 02 March 2012, 16:43   #230
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Managed to dig out an Acer Aspire One, which has Intel 945 graphics
Any developments?
Old 02 March 2012, 17:24   #231
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder77 View Post
Hi,

after readind since some time here at the forums, I decided to register as fs-uae is really drawing my attention.
First of all, thanks for your good work so far. It is really fun using it, the netplay feature is a star!

Quote:
But I'd like to understand why the performance of the emulation is not that good compared to WinUAE.

My system has a Athlon X2 240 CPU, so 2.8 GHz max per core.
I am running Linux Mint 12 and I tried both, the precompiled 64bit Debian package, but also a self-compiled version on my system.

With default values, the CPU usage while running Pinball Dreams (model set to A500) is roughly at 150-160%.

When I boot Windows and run the same game in WinUAE, the CPU usage is at roughly 30-40%.
First of all, comparing CPU usage on Windows and Linux isn't that straight-forward AFAIK. I believe Linux reports CPU usage relative to one fully utilized core (or something like that), while Windows reports CPU usage relative to all cores. In other words, utilizing 2 of 4 cores to the full would have Linux report 200% usage, while Windows would report 50% usage for the same load (I'm not sure this is completely accurate, but the point is you can't compare the numbers directly).

Secondly, it is important to have comparable setups. I assume you run WinUAE with A500 settings in cycle exact mode, otherwise it would not be comparable to FS-UAE's default settings.

But FS-UAE also defaults to syncing to vblank, and the OpenGL driver may use a busy-loop for this, which will burn CPU cycles. I do not think WinUAE does this by default, so use the following FS-UAE setting to make your testing more fair:

Code:
video_sync=off
There are other reasons that could affect CPU usage as well:

- Different compilers are used, which would have different optimizations (FS-UAE is not currently compiled with most aggressive settings: you could try replacing -O2 with -O3 in the Makefiles..)

- Differences in video drivers (OpenGL vs DirectDraw or Direct3D)

- FS-UAE does not share video/audio/input infrastructure with WinUAE, and it is of course quite possible what the WinUAE code is better optimized.

Quote:
Besides that, my oppinion is, that the same game runs smoother within WinUAE than in fs-uae.

Is there a good explanation? Or is my system setup somehow wrong possibly?
I won't question your ability to judge smoothness

Here are some points to test/consider:

- The operating system is not the same, therefore the process scheduler is not the same.

- Differences in video card drivers can affect smoothness.

- Emulation is not perfectly smooth anyway unless using 50Hz modes with full video sync (are you?)

- Are you using compositing desktop manager? Ensure you are running FS-UAE in fullscreen. A compositing mananger and FS-UAE running in a Window will force the OpenGL driver to do indirect rendering. On Linux, if the default FS-UAE fullscreen mode does not work properly (does not cover the entire screen), you can use fullscreen_mode=fullscreen (the default is fullscreen_mode=window, which uses a fullscreen window -not all window managers like this, but it allows alt-tabbing etc).

- What graphics card/driver do you have? I have actually a smoothness problem myself with a (fast) computer with a recent nVIDIA card and newest nVIDIA drivers (on Linux). It does seem like a driver problem -vsync is choppy, but it runs fine on the platforms *and* runs perfectly smooth on a slower Linux laptop with an older embedded nVIDIA graphics card and older nVIDIA drivers. I haven't had time to investigate the Linux/nVIDIA problem properly.

To get a more fair comparison, you should run FS-UAE also on Windows on the same computer with video_sync=off (if not using full vsync @50Hz on both WinUAE and FS-UAE).

Quote:
Any developments?
Not on Intel 945 chipset / OpenGL 1.4 compatibility yet, no :-/ -I have been quite busy with work lately. But I have an almost complete implementation of custom input mapping support (map any key/joystick button to any Amiga key/joystick action)

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 March 2012 at 23:31. Reason: fixed "vsync is not choppy" to "vsync is choppy"
Old 02 March 2012, 22:28   #232
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
A small request:
A option to select the loading speed of the floppy disk.
I was going to fix this now, but it turns out I already have -So you don't have to wait for a new version!

I have documented the existing option (floppy_drive_speed) here:
http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/configuration

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 March 2012 at 23:37.
Old 03 March 2012, 01:13   #233
Speedvicio

Quote:
I was going to fix this now, but it turns out I already have -So you don't have to wait for a new version!

I have documented the existing option (floppy_drive_speed) here:
http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/configuration

Thx Frode, i have tried any ostic game in hdf mode, "Super Street fighter II" installed on hd now work without freeze.

In the meantime i've updated the frontend, unfortunately i don't have much time to implement everything i wanted.

- Added net options (not tested)
- Added a way to auto-create a temporanty file config to test the emulator and settings.
- Added all options from FS-UAE.
- Can select a saved config from a combobox

G-FS-UAE source and packed distribution at Sourceforge

Last edited by Speedvicio; 04 March 2012 at 22:56.
Old 03 March 2012, 13:53   #234
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.11beta2

* Floppy swapping is performed synchronized in net play mode.
* GUI Reset action can be used with net play.
* Save state saving and restoring is now synchronized in net play mode.
* Parallel port joystick emulation (joystick_port_2, joystick_port_3).
* Reduced input lag in net play games.
* Custom gamepad/joystick -> action mapping.
* Custom keyboard -> action mapping.
* Support mounting zip files as (read-only) volumes.
* Read command line arguments earlier (fixes a Configurations dir issue).
* Renamed "amiga_joystick" config value to "dummy joystick" (more descriptive).
* Renamed "amiga_mouse" config value to "dummy mouse" (more descriptive).
* Floppy speed setting was already implemented, but not documented.
* Finally implemented the volume mute function for OpenAL.
* Detect refresh rate properly on Mac OS X.

Download the beta version (binaries and source) here:
http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta

(Documentation for custom input events -> actions mapping is not written yet)
Old 03 March 2012, 21:52   #235
PHabermehl

Quote:

Download the beta version (binaries and source) here:
http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta
Hello Frode,
It doesn't compile...

Code:
peti@frogstar22:~/Downloads/fs-uae> make
make -C libcapsimage
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage'
cd CAPSImage && ./configure
configure: loading site script /usr/share/site/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking for tar... tar
checking for sfd... no
checking for fd2inline... no
checking for autodoc... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating include/Makefile
config.status: creating examples/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
make -C CAPSImage
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage/include'
make[3]: Für das Ziel »w« ist nichts zu tun.
make[3]: Für das Ziel »all« ist nichts zu tun.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage/include'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage/examples'
make[3]: Für das Ziel »w« ist nichts zu tun.
make[3]: Für das Ziel »all« ist nichts zu tun.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage/examples'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage/CAPSImage'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/libcapsimage'
g++  obj/fs-config.o obj/fs-input.o obj/fs-joystick.o obj/fs-keyboard.o obj/fs-main.o obj/fs-menu.o obj/fs-mouse.o obj/fs-version.o obj/fs-video.o obj/libamiga.a -Llibfsemu/out -lfsemu `sdl-config --libs` `pkg-config --libs glib-2.0 gthread-2.0` -lpng -lz -lGL -lGLU -lopenal -ldl -o out/fs-uae
obj/fs-main.o: In function `fs_uae_base_dir':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:323: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-main.o: In function `create_default_dir':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:359: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:362: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-main.o: In function `main':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:595: undefined reference to `fs_config_parse_options'
obj/fs-main.o: In function `load_config_file':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:240: undefined reference to `fs_config_read_file'
obj/fs-main.o: In function `main':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:600: undefined reference to `fs_config_parse_options'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:622: undefined reference to `fs_emu_set_controllers_dir'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:627: undefined reference to `fs_config_set_log_file'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:611: undefined reference to `fs_emu_disable_throttling'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/main.c:612: undefined reference to `fs_emu_disallow_full_sync'
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_amiga_model':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:124: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_boolean'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:136: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_const_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:158: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int_clamped'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:138: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_const_string'
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_amiga_hardware':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:221: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:227: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:234: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:244: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:254: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:264: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:280: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_boolean'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:280: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_boolean'
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_cdrom':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:314: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_hard_drives':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:329: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:366: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_floppies':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:497: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:512: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-config.o:/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:517: more undefined references to `fs_config_get_string' follow
obj/fs-config.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_floppies':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:531: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_int_clamped'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/config.c:547: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-input.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_actions':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/input.c:324: undefined reference to `fs_emu_set_actions'
obj/fs-joystick.o: In function `fs_uae_configure_input':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/joystick.c:169: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/joystick.c:176: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/joystick.c:183: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/joystick.c:190: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `load_function':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:111: undefined reference to `fs_emu_queue_action'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `save_function':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:120: undefined reference to `fs_emu_queue_action'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `reset_function':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:20: undefined reference to `fs_emu_queue_action'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `cd_menu_function':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:417: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `insert_cdrom':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:255: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `update_cd_menu':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:324: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
obj/fs-menu.o: In function `insert_disk':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/menu.c:236: undefined reference to `fs_emu_queue_action'
obj/fs-video.o: In function `init_window_overrides':
/home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae/src/video.c:93: undefined reference to `fs_config_get_string'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/fs-uae] Fehler 1
Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards,
Peter
Old 03 March 2012, 23:35   #236
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHabermehl View Post
Hello Frode,
It doesn't compile...
Hi, I checked the tarball, and it seems to compile cleanly. Perhaps you have extracted over an old existing build directory, and this has caused libfsemu to not be compiled completely? I suggest deleting the directory /home/Peti/Downloads/fs-uae, and then extract and compile fs-uae source.
Old 04 March 2012, 13:00   #237
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Hi Frode!

I've tried the well known Dyna Blaster, and i just can see a weird screen (only in game). Do you have any idea how to fix this issue? (A500/kick1.3/default ram settings but it's the same problem with chip_memory = 1024 / slow_memory = 512).
This game usually works using most of the Amiga emulators
Thanks!
Old 04 March 2012, 13:36   #238
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
Hi Frode!

I've tried the well known Dyna Blaster, and i just can see a weird screen (only in game). Do you have any idea how to fix this issue? (A500/kick1.3/default ram settings but it's the same problem with chip_memory = 1024 / slow_memory = 512).
This game usually works using most of the Amiga emulators
Thanks!
I did not manage to reproduce this problem (worked for me). Could you post config file and log file (and checksum of floppy?)?
Old 04 March 2012, 16:19   #239
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 0.9.11beta3

* Fixed a bug where large positive mouse movement became negative.
* Event information is written to Synchronization.log during net play (this file can be quite large) -cannot be disabled yet.
* Include slow memory in memory checksumming (chip + slow, now).
* Replaced a busy-loop in net play with proper condition signal/wait, using significantly less CPU now.
* Fixed a race condition in the net play server where input events could be sent to some clients out of order (with regard to frames). This would have caused desync when it occurred.
* Fixed a bug in the net play server where input events could be sent to some clients before all clients were connected.
* Detect refresh rate properly on Mac OS X (was not included in 0.9.11beta2).

Version 0.9.11beta3 can be download here: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta

For net play, this version is incompatible with earlier FS-UAE releases, and also requires an updated server: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/net-play
Old 04 March 2012, 17:34   #240
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Config file:

# FS-UAE example configuration file
# The encoding of the configuration file must be UTF-8 (or ASCII)
#
# All paths can be either absolute, or relative to the current working
# directory. The same is true for all paths in the configuration file.
#
# If you on Windows specify paths with backslash, you must escape them
# (use \\ instead of just \ - c:\\path\\to\\file). You can also just use
# forward slashes instead (c:/path/to/file).
#
# You can start paths with ~/ or $HOME/ to refer to the user's home.
# Example: ~/Documents/Floppies/example.adf
#
# There are many options available to configure FS-UAE.
# See http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/configuration
# for a complete list of configuration options with documentation

[config]
amiga_model = A500
kickstart_file = Kick13.rom
floppy_drive_0 = GENERIC.ADF
# floppy_drive_1 = GENERIC2.ADF
# floppy_drive_2 = GENERIC3.ADF
# floppy_drive_4 = GENERIC4.ADF
# floppy_image_0 = GENERIC.ADF
# floppy_image_1 = GENERIC2.ADF
# floppy_image_2 = GENERIC3.ADF