English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 February 2008, 22:30   #121
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I should also point out that I like Fred's mom, who is also large.
Old 23 February 2008, 23:07   #122
MainCore

Another issue...

...to explore is how long will take the HD players to completely replace the DVD players present almost everywhere nowdays (I remember that my VHS co-existed with my first DVD player for almost 3 years).
Old 23 February 2008, 23:52   #123
Ian
Global Moderator

It will be quicker this time as there is no need to keep your DVD player this time as all blu-ray players can play DVDs.
Old 24 February 2008, 00:08   #124
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
all blu-ray players can play DVDs.
Is it a requirement?
Old 24 February 2008, 00:19   #125
Ian
Global Moderator

It's a BDA recommendation not requirement, however all players and drives that have been released play DVDs.
Old 24 February 2008, 00:52   #126
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
It's a BDA recommendation not requirement, however all players and drives that have been released play DVDs.
Oh ok, thanks.
Old 24 February 2008, 11:06   #127
NLS
Ancient User

...and CDs
Old 24 February 2008, 12:40   #128
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

DVD players will still sell until the price of the Blu-Ray players comes down to around £100. DVD's themselves will be around for years to come. Don't expect Blu-Ray to replace DVD's in a year or so. DVD's will still be selling strong at least five years from now cos Blu-Ray equipment and HDTV is still too expensive.

Eventually all TV's sold will be HD and standard TV's will be defunct. When that day comes then all the digital channels will broadcast in high definition and TV will be a glorious place. I reckon it could take 5-10 years for this to happen. Oh and we'll all be using hoverboards to get to work. Well thats my prediction for the future.
Old 24 February 2008, 13:53   #129
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
DVD players will still sell until the price of the Blu-Ray players comes down to around £100. DVD's themselves will be around for years to come. Don't expect Blu-Ray to replace DVD's in a year or so. DVD's will still be selling strong at least five years from now cos Blu-Ray equipment and HDTV is still too expensive.

Eventually all TV's sold will be HD and standard TV's will be defunct. When that day comes then all the digital channels will broadcast in high definition and TV will be a glorious place. I reckon it could take 5-10 years for this to happen. Oh and we'll all be using hoverboards to get to work. Well thats my prediction for the future.
The prediction that standard TV's will be defunct is a misnomer. Seeing as you can get digital boxes to bridge the gap, standard TV's will still be around for a few more years yet.

Digital Radio was heralded as the future of radio broadcasting, now its dying on its knees. Lots of commercial radio stations are shutting down their digital audio broadcasts because there is simply not the market out there for it.

DVD's will be around for quite a long time, possibly side by side with Blu-Ray.

I personally don't actually see Blu-Ray having the shelf life that DVD has had so far and can see it being superceeded quite quickly.
Old 24 February 2008, 20:37   #130
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
DVD players will still sell until the price of the Blu-Ray players comes down to around £100

i.e. very soon - probably this year
Old 25 February 2008, 00:00   #131
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Standard DVD will never really die as there is so much that will not benefit in any way from a Blu-Ray release, I'm not going to spent good money buying things that were shot in SD and even sub-SD quality on an HD format.

Neither Blu-Ray or HD-DVD were intended to 'replace' DVD as such, and in a world where people are still buying laserdiscs and perfectly happy with VHS!! there is little evidence that Blu-Ray will become a lone format.

I think realistically we can expect a system where both Blu-Ray and DVD hapilly co-exist.
Old 25 February 2008, 03:37   #132
MethodGit

We would've been better off with HD-DVD, seemingly.
Old 25 February 2008, 10:28   #133
Ian
Global Moderator

If only it weren't all complete rubbish though.

The only thing missing is the email address of the analyst, which would of course be bullshit@microsoft.com

Notice how they reference sources from 2006 for "proof" people aren't pleased with Blu-Ray for example.

At the end of the day consumers voted with their money, and even in HD-DVDs strongest region it was still being outsold 2-3 to 1.

Try this one.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...ath-of-hd-dvd/

HD-DVD is inferior it's players aren't really that much cheaper (unless you live iin the US which you don't) and even if it's disks were cheaper to make than Blu-Ray the saving was never passed onto the consumer.

The probleem with analysts is you need to know who pays them befor you can take what they say seriously.

Last edited by Ian; 25 February 2008 at 10:35.
Old 25 February 2008, 11:05   #134
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
*sigh*
Sorry, I think I misunderstood you.

I thought that you were suggesting that the jump from VHS to DVD wasn't a significant change compared to the jump from DVD to Blu-ray. I didn't realise that vinyl vs CD was the debate you were interested in.

Never mind
Old 07 March 2008, 23:22   #135
Paul_s

Quote:
If you cannot see the difference you must be blind

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=5

Look at some of the images in the links and tell me again you cannot really see the difference.

Sure if you watch a blu-ray and then the DVD version after you might not notice, but side by side and you can tell a mile off.

Even old films look significatly better in HD than SD.
Forgot about this thread.

Yeah there are differences, granted. The standard DVD shots look kind of out of focus and softer (has that been done on purpose I wonder???). Bladerunner looks superb
On some standard DVD editions it's not unknown for them to be remastered a few times over.

I see they've still not done Back to the Future trilogy yet onto Blu-Ray This is the problem for me - I prefer the older films and some of them are less known than todays offerings It's a nightmare getting some of the less well known stuff onto DVD - Streethawk comes to mind...
Old 08 March 2008, 00:26   #136
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Forgot about this thread.

Yeah there are differences, granted. The standard DVD shots look kind of out of focus and softer (has that been done on purpose I wonder???). Bladerunner looks superb
Actually the demo is biased toward DVD since the HD shots are scaled down from the original 1920x1080 resolution...
Old 16 March 2008, 22:51   #137
NLS
Ancient User

I want CD to die ... it is stupid to see that CD (Audio) releases are MUCH more expensive than DVD movies... (at least here)
Old 22 October 2020, 15:48   #138
Amigajay

Hello bot
Old 22 October 2020, 16:47   #139
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

My threads bring all the bots to the yard
Old 22 October 2020, 17:02   #140
seuden
uber cool demi god

Can not remember this thread. ??