English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 June 2020, 19:19   #1
stevelord

The Amiga(like) Smart Watch

Hi all,

Update: Blog post with pics, vid and source code here: https://thedorkweb.substack.com/p/ta...he-dork-web-10

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post, but it feels right. If it's wrong, please move to somewhere more relevant. My partner wanted a basic countdown timer watch to use outside. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to ask the question, "What would an Amiga smart watch be like?". Of course, when I say Amiga I mean Workbench 1.x, not 2 or later.

The hardware is the the TTGO T-Watch, but the software is built on top of the examples that came with the arduino library. The watch has a flexible countdown timer, speaks the amount of time left, and plays MOD tunes once the alarm sounds. There's a Say command I knocked up just now (it's rough and I don't have time to finish it but it works).

I'm releasing the full details, source code, vids and everything online tomorrow via my personal newsletter, Tales From The Dork Web. I thought some of the forum members might like an advance heads up.

At some point I'd like to rewrite something properly from scratch with theme support so I can switch between 1.x, 3.x and otehrs. The code is pretty horrible under the hood, the whole thing is a Proof-of-Concept but if you're a glutton for punishment it's here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	initial-5-pieces.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	691.1 KB
ID:	67589  

Last edited by stevelord; 04 June 2020 at 15:34. Reason: updated with blog post link
Old 03 June 2020, 21:17   #2
stevelord

Erk, missed some attachments. Here's the watch emulating a ZX Spectrum (badly) and running the Workbench-based system.

Name:	menus.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	67590

Name:	zxwatches.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	841.5 KB
ID:	67591
Old 03 June 2020, 22:27   #3
DamienD
Banned

That's pretty cool stevelord

Much better than an Apple watch
Old 04 June 2020, 00:00   #4
chiark
Needs a life

That's excellent - I made a watch face for the Garmin Vivoactive, however I'm now wanting one of those watches. Especially the 2000 version!
Old 04 June 2020, 03:57   #5
stevelord

So here's the thing. The code is really horrible under the hood because I didn't understand the architecture. If there's enough interest I'll consider building something like this properly.

What I wonder is how much I'd have to do to get AROS grade compatibility. I don't think the normal intuition stuff works well but if it does I think I can make something semi portable. Not directly GUI portable, but to give Amiga a lease of life in a space where it can still compete.
Old 04 June 2020, 19:19   #6
khayoz

@stevelord

Kool! Do you know if it also work on the new TTGO T-Watch 2020?
Horrible code you say, but maybe the begining of THE Amiga Watch.

Edit: Read your blog now, problem solving at it's finest and with an Amiga touch at that!
Looking forward to an update when you get the TTGO T-Watch 2020

Last edited by khayoz; 04 June 2020 at 20:21. Reason: Update
Old 04 June 2020, 23:36   #7
tygre
Returning fan!

A-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!
Old 30 June 2020, 16:24   #8
chiark
Needs a life

Mine has arrived, woohoo!
ESP platform installed, libraries installed, and I get a compilation error:
Code:
'class TTGOClass' has no member named 'bl'
The #define that is being looked for to enable backlight is LILYGO_WATCH_HAS_BLACKLIGHT, which is defined in lilygowatch.h, which doesn't seem to be being pulled in? In there, if LILYGO_WATCH_2020_V1 is defined, it defines the necessary stuff including backlight.

The code pulls in <TTGO.h>, and doesn't seem to pull in lilygowatch.h anywhere. The define in your code is LILYGO_TWATCH_2020_V1, too.

I've tried including lilygowatch.h, and defining LILYGO_WATCH_2020_V1, and defining LILYGO_WATCH_LVGL, still no beans, error in GUI.c. Added lvgl/lvgl.h to that, and now get complaints that lv_style_plain does not exist...

It seems that there's been a big refactoring of lvgl from 6.1.2 to 7, which has changed the style system,and the watch library has been updated to that as of 2 days ago...

Any ideas?
Old 30 June 2020, 21:25   #9
stevelord

Just so people know here, Chiark very kindly got in touch with me. It looks like the release version of the TTGO library still works fine. I'm going to refactor and do some testing this weekend to see if I can bring it forward to work with the new LVGL library.

Github discussion is here in case anyone's interested: https://github.com/stevelord/AWatch/...ment-651894908
Old 02 July 2020, 15:36   #10
chiark
Needs a life

Thanks Steve, love this! Have you found a decent base to start from? The provided SimpleWatch is a little, er, basic in the extreme.